• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve adjustment intervals on (cam head?) 2012 R1200GSA

adkgsa

Do I have this right -

On a 2012 gsa the valve check/adjustment intervals are at the first 6,000 miles initially and then every 12,000 miles thereafter?

Thanks

My BMW mechanic does the valve check every 12K on my camhead, checked twice now, they have not been out of spec

The factory reccomended interval is 6,000 miles...

The factory specification for camhead valve checks is every 10,000 kilometers. We translate that to every 6,000 miles.
Of course, you can check them whenever you please... It is true that they seldom require adjustment. I don't think that I've adjusted mine in over 20,000 miles, though I probably will have one valve out of spec at my next check.
My apologies for not posting the form, but I was not able to do so.
You can go to A&S BMW and download the maintenance forms for free. There are several (6,000 with annual, 6,000, 12,000 with annual, etc.), and probably that is the source of the confusion for you. The 12,000 mile lists a valve check, but so does the 6,000.

My mechanic just did an 18K service on my 2012gsa and said the valves are only checked every 12K, so not at the 18K service (will be done at 24K).

I read somewhere that when the camheads came out BMW initially said to check valves every 12K (after the first check at 6K), then amended that to recommending they be checked every 6K.

Wondering what BMW actually recommends, as I cannot find it on the ‘net.

I am thinking that if the dealership could have done the valve check and charged me for it, they would have. I also want to believe they would know exactly what is needed at a service and I should trust their expertise. But...

Labor of love...

service intervals on my 13RT is as follows:

every 6000miles, engine oil/filter, GB & FD gear lube change, valve check, TB sync, new tires, check brake pads and reset service reminder...used to be every 3 months, now about every 6 months
every 12000miles, all above but add spark plugs and air filter
every 24000miles, all of the above and replace generator belt
yearly, flush front & rear brakes, re-lube FD-to-driveshaft spines, check front wheel bearings/brake rotor thicknesses
every two years, remove swingarm and re-lube tapered bearings, re-lube front driveshaft to GB splines

just replaced the clutch/pressure plate/cover/bolts at 105000miles and tidied up accessory wiring...

This is right out of my REPROM. I think it's a little excessive and you guys can choose to do it whenever you want but it is every 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

Capture.JPG

My mechanic just did an 18K service on my 2012gsa and said the valves are only checked every 12K, so not at the 18K service (will be done at 24K).

I read somewhere that when the camheads came out BMW initially said to check valves every 12K (after the first check at 6K), then amended that to recommending they be checked every 6K.

Wondering what BMW actually recommends, as I cannot find it on the ‘net.

I am thinking that if the dealership could have done the valve check and charged me for it, they would have. I also want to believe they would know exactly what is needed at a service and I should trust their expertise. But...

That's the schedule my mechanic is using. 12k; 24; 36K etc. I get mine back tomorrow with 23 and change on the odo as a full service [ all fluids, valves, filters etc.

30K sees an oil change, 36K sees another full service./ :thumb

Thanks.

Wondering why an established dealership wouldn’t follow this? Going to have to ask them to satisfy my OCD.

I'm guessing that they rarely find clearances that need adjustment and are trying to save labor and customer cost. I do it every 6k but that's only because wrenching is a hobby for me and that gives me one more doohickey to fiddle with.

I'm guessing that they rarely find clearances that need adjustment and are trying to save labor and customer cost. I do it every 6k but that's only because wrenching is a hobby for me and that gives me one more doohickey to fiddle with.

You are probably right about this. They have surely worked on enough of them over the years.

I found one valve out of spec at 36,000 on my 2011 R12GS.

Both valve checks at 12 and 23K found the 2012 1200GS valves within spec. Next valve check 36K. If they aren't out of spec then, I'll forgo further valve checks for the next 24K not 12K. :thumb

What does the bike handle like if they are out of spec.

I am riding at 70 and once I speed up to 90 to pass.
The bike has a lurching feeling that feels like bad gas or spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have valves out of spec you probably will not notice it. If they have too much clearance they will tick, too tight and the valve will eventually burn from the combustion gases and then you will have low compression and low power, but never an intermittent poor running condition.

I agree with you pappy35, I love messin with engines and motors when they need it and I've been doing it since the early 70's when I started learning on old cars, 54 Chevy's and on and bikes, 650 Yamaha and Harley's, 900 and 1000,, you do the messin right and it works so much better as my Dad used to say.

Back