Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment intervals on (cam head?) 2012 R1200GSA

Valve adjustment intervals on (cam head?) 2012 R1200GSA

Do I have this right -

On a 2012 gsa the valve check/adjustment intervals are at the first 6,000 miles initially and then every 12,000 miles thereafter?

Thanks

OLD BULL

Yep

Yep

Thank you sir.

The checklist from ASCycles and my REPROM says valve clearance check every 6k miles.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

My BMW mechanic does the valve check every 12K on my camhead, checked twice now, they have not been out of spec
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Krmugin

The factory reccomended interval is 6,000 miles...

The factory specification for camhead valve checks is every 10,000 kilometers. We translate that to every 6,000 miles.
    Of course, you can check them whenever you please... It is true that they seldom require adjustment. I don't think that I've adjusted mine in over 20,000 miles, though I probably will have one valve out of spec at my next check.
    My apologies for not posting the form, but I was not able to do so.
    You can go to A&S BMW and download the maintenance forms for free. There are several (6,000 with annual, 6,000, 12,000 with annual, etc.), and probably that is the source of the confusion for you. The 12,000 mile lists a valve check, but so does the 6,000.

Here are the forms: I fill one out every time I do the maintenance to document that I did it and what, if any, findings I have.

R1200RT-DOHC 6K Service.pdf
    R1200RT-DOHC 6K with Annual.pdf
    R1200RT-DOHC 12K Service.pdf
    R1200RT-DOHC 12K with Annual.pdf

My mechanic just did an 18K service on my 2012gsa and said the valves are only checked every 12K, so not at the 18K service (will be done at 24K).

I read somewhere that when the camheads came out BMW initially said to check valves every 12K (after the first check at 6K), then amended that to recommending they be checked every 6K.

Wondering what BMW actually recommends, as I cannot find it on the ‘net.

I am thinking that if the dealership could have done the valve check and charged me for it, they would have. I also want to believe they would know exactly what is needed at a service and I should trust their expertise. But...

Quote Originally Posted by adkgsa View Post
    ....check valves every 12K (after the first check at 6K)...
    This logic would imply valve check at 6k and then 18k, 30k, 42k, etc.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar

Thumbs up Labor of love...

service intervals on my 13RT is as follows:

every 6000miles, engine oil/filter, GB & FD gear lube change, valve check, TB sync, new tires, check brake pads and reset service reminder...used to be every 3 months, now about every 6 months
    every 12000miles, all above but add spark plugs and air filter
    every 24000miles, all of the above and replace generator belt
    yearly, flush front & rear brakes, re-lube FD-to-driveshaft spines, check front wheel bearings/brake rotor thicknesses
    every two years, remove swingarm and re-lube tapered bearings, re-lube front driveshaft to GB splines

just replaced the clutch/pressure plate/cover/bolts at 105000miles and tidied up accessory wiring...
    ~wyman~

2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

This is right out of my REPROM. I think it's a little excessive and you guys can choose to do it whenever you want but it is every 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    This is right out of my REPROM. I think it's a little excessive and you guys can choose to do it whenever you want but it is every 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

Capture.JPG
    Thanks.

Wondering why an established dealership wouldn’t follow this? Going to have to ask them to satisfy my OCD.

My mechanic just did an 18K service on my 2012gsa and said the valves are only checked every 12K, so not at the 18K service (will be done at 24K).

I read somewhere that when the camheads came out BMW initially said to check valves every 12K (after the first check at 6K), then amended that to recommending they be checked every 6K.

Wondering what BMW actually recommends, as I cannot find it on the ‘net.

I am thinking that if the dealership could have done the valve check and charged me for it, they would have. I also want to believe they would know exactly what is needed at a service and I should trust their expertise. But...
    That's the schedule my mechanic is using. 12k; 24; 36K etc. I get mine back tomorrow with 23 and change on the odo as a full service [ all fluids, valves, filters etc.

30K sees an oil change, 36K sees another full service./
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Thanks.

Wondering why an established dealership wouldn’t follow this? Going to have to ask them to satisfy my OCD.
    I'm guessing that they rarely find clearances that need adjustment and are trying to save labor and customer cost. I do it every 6k but that's only because wrenching is a hobby for me and that gives me one more doohickey to fiddle with.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I'm guessing that they rarely find clearances that need adjustment and are trying to save labor and customer cost. I do it every 6k but that's only because wrenching is a hobby for me and that gives me one more doohickey to fiddle with.
    You are probably right about this. They have surely worked on enough of them over the years.