• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fake helmets posing as real helmets

Yea but.....I saw a BMW rider wearing a very expensive Shoei "flip face" helmet, crash violently. Both pins that are suppose to prevent the thing from flipping up when you don't want it to were sheared off.

Gail.....anecdotal evidence.... My Shoei Neo-tec saved my life in my crash and stayed intact. I gave you more anecdotal evidence....

Here's a cool "BMW" helmet I'd love to have!!!!

BMW helmet.jpg

First reply to this post

"I can see the next pirate legend taking shape............"Why would I a take a risk on a helmet that could be counterfeit and kill me..........."

Reading comprehension is important.

This speculates that a Harley Davidson rider "pirate" would buy into a legend that it is safer to ride without a helmet rather than a counterfeit one.

Very first reply...…………

We wonder why the MOA numbers are shrinking.

That is not reading comprehension. That is reading speculation. Perhaps the OP was commenting about Johnny Depp.

:scratch

Friedle

Yea but.....I saw a BMW rider wearing a very expensive Shoei "flip face" helmet, crash violently. Both pins that are suppose to prevent the thing from flipping up when you don't want it to were sheared off. She had some broken bones & a few internal, non life threatening injuries and fortunately no head injury. However, after I witnessed that, I will never buy a flip up (no matter how expensive). As I stated, the crash was terrible and she could have easily ground her chin right off her face. And yes,this is off the original topic. Damn that MOA collective.:)

One could say the helmet did it's job. Even if the pins hadn't sheared, the helmet would have been unusable after the accident.

It is interesting, but what person or organization came up with the study?

"I'm Ben Moore, a computational biology / bioinformatics PhD student at the University of Edinburgh, UK. I picked up the R programming language during my MSc at Imperial College London and use it constantly in my day-job, along with some Python. For fun I sometimes apply these tools to interesting-looking datasets that are lying around the web, and try to tell their stories through well-designed data visualisations. Some blog posts are mirrored on R-bloggers, a blogging community for the R language.

Within R, I make extensive use of the "Hadley-verse" of packages, especially ggplot2 and dplyr. Increasingly I'm also using packages from the Ramnath-verse, including Slidify, for generating HTML5 presentations from RMarkdown, and rCharts to build interactive JS graphics. The rOpenSci project has greased the wheels of several handy APIs, amongst other things. My R IDE of choice is RStudio.

Due to the fact I've benefited so much from these free and open-source tools, I think it's only fair to make any and all analysis code public. Mine's on github — if you make something cool based on anything there I'd be interested in hearing about it!"

I was wondering if the testing in the video if it was a legitimate test? Perhaps a "real" helmet would have failed the test too.

As for the Shoei helmet the BMW rider was wearing that failed, it did a good job of keeping the rider's head in once piece. I wonder how many helmets that take a good blow in a wreck are cracked or obviously damaged afterwards.

Back