Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fake helmets posing as real helmets

Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post
    There is a real problem with counterfeit helmets, but at the very first reply we turn it into bashing Harley Davidson riders and the people who are less than ATGATT.
    You're the first one to use the words Harley Davidson.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

A reliable vendor , as mentioned, is my best assurance that I bought what I thought I bought! As a result, I can approach this thread -hopefully- as an interested party rather than a potential victim.

No comment on the stupid comment...back on track!
    Last edited by rick601; 07-24-2019 at 11:22 AM.

2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Yea but.....I saw a BMW rider wearing a very expensive Shoei "flip face" helmet, crash violently. Both pins that are suppose to prevent the thing from flipping up when you don't want it to were sheared off. She had some broken bones & a few internal, non life threatening injuries and fortunately no head injury. However, after I witnessed that, I will never buy a flip up (no matter how expensive). As I stated, the crash was terrible and she could have easily ground her chin right off her face. And yes,this is off the original topic. Damn that MOA collective.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

ZWEI KOLBEN
    Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    You're the first one to use the words Harley Davidson.

First reply to this post

"I can see the next pirate legend taking shape............"Why would I a take a risk on a helmet that could be counterfeit and kill me..........."

Reading comprehension is important.

This speculates that a Harley Davidson rider "pirate" would buy into a legend that it is safer to ride without a helmet rather than a counterfeit one.

Very first reply...

We wonder why the MOA numbers are shrinking.

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Yea but.....I saw a BMW rider wearing a very expensive Shoei "flip face" helmet, crash violently. Both pins that are suppose to prevent the thing from flipping up when you don't want it to were sheared off.

Gail.....anecdotal evidence.... My Shoei Neo-tec saved my life in my crash and stayed intact. I gave you more anecdotal evidence....

Here's a cool "BMW" helmet I'd love to have!!!!

BMW helmet.jpg
    Bruce A. Brown #212072
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post

First reply to this post

"I can see the next pirate legend taking shape............"Why would I a take a risk on a helmet that could be counterfeit and kill me..........."

Reading comprehension is important.

This speculates that a Harley Davidson rider "pirate" would buy into a legend that it is safer to ride without a helmet rather than a counterfeit one.

Very first reply...

We wonder why the MOA numbers are shrinking.
    That is not reading comprehension. That is reading speculation. Perhaps the OP was commenting about Johnny Depp.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Yea but.....I saw a BMW rider wearing a very expensive Shoei "flip face" helmet, crash violently. Both pins that are suppose to prevent the thing from flipping up when you don't want it to were sheared off. She had some broken bones & a few internal, non life threatening injuries and fortunately no head injury. However, after I witnessed that, I will never buy a flip up (no matter how expensive). As I stated, the crash was terrible and she could have easily ground her chin right off her face. And yes,this is off the original topic. Damn that MOA collective.
    One could say the helmet did it's job. Even if the pins hadn't sheared, the helmet would have been unusable after the accident.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    The link below provides an interesting analysis of helmet price versus safety factor.

https://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/
    It is interesting, but what person or organization came up with the study?

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    It is interesting, but what person or organization came up with the study?
    "I'm Ben Moore, a computational biology / bioinformatics PhD student at the University of Edinburgh, UK. I picked up the R programming language during my MSc at Imperial College London and use it constantly in my day-job, along with some Python. For fun I sometimes apply these tools to interesting-looking datasets that are lying around the web, and try to tell their stories through well-designed data visualisations. Some blog posts are mirrored on R-bloggers, a blogging community for the R language.

Within R, I make extensive use of the "Hadley-verse" of packages, especially ggplot2 and dplyr. Increasingly I'm also using packages from the Ramnath-verse, including Slidify, for generating HTML5 presentations from RMarkdown, and rCharts to build interactive JS graphics. The rOpenSci project has greased the wheels of several handy APIs, amongst other things. My R IDE of choice is RStudio.

Due to the fact I've benefited so much from these free and open-source tools, I think it's only fair to make any and all analysis code public. Mine's on github if you make something cool based on anything there I'd be interested in hearing about it!"
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I was wondering if the testing in the video if it was a legitimate test? Perhaps a "real" helmet would have failed the test too.

As for the Shoei helmet the BMW rider was wearing that failed, it did a good job of keeping the rider's head in once piece. I wonder how many helmets that take a good blow in a wreck are cracked or obviously damaged afterwards.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!