Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 2005 1200RT Fuel Strip

  1. #1

    2005 1200RT Fuel Strip

    Fellow Riders: Have a 2005 1200RT, changed the fuel sensor when I got it under warranty four years ago. (Bike was sitting for two years with previous owner, due to deployment). Worked great until the two weeks ago, when it started flashing to zero and then coming back to life, on, off, etc. I have read about a possible fix of electrical contacts under tank? Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations, I would rather not spend $450 for the shop to pull the tank, replace sensor, and re-calibrate. . . if it's only dirty contacts under tank. Much appreciate the forum and excellent help from the group.
    pm

  2. #2
    Registered User kthflieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Columbia river gorge, Oregon
    Posts
    154
    How many miles since the first one was done? I ask because my GS had the recall work done several years ago, but only 2000 miles elapsed before the whole mess malfunctioned again along with the fittings breaking again and turning brittle (which has to be the result of having to use ethanol gas a few times). I took it up with the dealer and since the mileage was so low since the first recall repair, the BMW rep agreed to again warranty the parts under the recall if I paid for the labor.....got it all replaced again for $100.
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

  3. #3
    The dealer shops replace it under warranty three years ago and it's got 40,000K on since then, so I it isn't a case of it them not doing it properly or with bad parts. But I gather is there is not a contact cleaning issue below the tank (I heard that might be a problem or could help, but not sure if it applies to this model bike). I had to leave town for ten days and I filled up the tank before I left, so far when I'm back and riding for the last four days the strip and fuel gage are fine. Hm. . . I guess if it fails again it is off to the dealer for a another $450 fix. . . sigh.
    thank you

  4. #4
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,710
    I wouldn't pay $450 for a part that is sure to fail again. My 07RT is on the last one it will see. When it fails I will rely on the odometer and trip meter only. Good riddance to the hassle. Bummer that NHTSA never forced them to fix the issue.

  5. #5

    2015 R1200R Fuel strip

    I am looking to by a 2015 BMW R1200R does this year still have the same fuel strip / Gauge problems as earlier models?

  6. #6
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by skulldug View Post
    I am looking to by a 2015 BMW R1200R does this year still have the same fuel strip / Gauge problems as earlier models?
    AFAIK No

    BMW switched to a float for the fuel gauge in 2010.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  7. #7
    OK,Thanks for the info.
    I did by the 2015 R1200R.
    So far so good!

  8. #8
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    AFAIK No

    BMW switched to a float for the fuel gauge in 2010.
    Not on the R1200R - it continued to use a fuel strip until the release of the R9T series. My 2012 has had 3 strips so far.

    There is no connector in the tank that will fix it. It's a flaw in the actual strip. If the OP searches enough he'll find some threads (maybe here, maybe ADV-Rider) involving fixing the strip by using a piezo high-voltage sparker (from a grille lighter or a cigarette lighter even). It doesn't even require R&R of the strip from the tank. It appears sometimes it works, sometimes it makes things worse, and sometimes it does nothing.

    There is a rather extensive thread/survey in the stickies all about fuel strips. I encourage anyone who has had one replaced to look through that thread. At several points in the thread I give very specific instructions on how to report this SAFETY HAZARD to NHTSA in the hope they'll start an "Investigation" (which is done preliminary to a recall.) So far all that did was to get BMW to warranty the strip for 12 years from the bike-in-service day. In order to jolt NHTSA to life, it's important to post the failure to the same system/item in their database - that makes it show up when they're looking for possible safety related issues. They have issued recalls for identical failures on other brand bikes, so there is a precident for it being a safety related failure mode.

    YMMV,
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  9. #9
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,557
    Quote Originally Posted by skulldug View Post
    I am looking to by a 2015 BMW R1200R does this year still have the same fuel strip / Gauge problems as earlier models?
    Hexhead or wethead? If it's a hexhead - AFAIK it still uses the fuel strip. They didn't switch the R12R until they came out with the wethead non-telelever model.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  10. #10

    Exclamation Fuel strip in cold temp. 2005 R1200RT

    Hi all:
    Today at 34 degrees outside temp, my estimated mileage kept increasing. I purchased this bike in Oct. 2019 and only rode it 300 miles before winter. I have since put another 800 mi. Changed fluids, plugs, air filter, alternator belt and adjusted valves. My first experience with the fuel strip was when I ran out of fuel showing 1/3 of my first tank. I gave it the clicker fix recently and it worked well through a tank down to even lighting the reserve light. I understand that the strip works by comparing temperatures along sensors running the length. So is it logical to assume that the air above the fuel level was colder than the fuel and therefore it "confused" the level sensors on the strip?

  11. #11
    Registered User drneo66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerraven57 View Post
    Hi all:
    Today at 34 degrees outside temp, my estimated mileage kept increasing. I purchased this bike in Oct. 2019 and only rode it 300 miles before winter. I have since put another 800 mi. Changed fluids, plugs, air filter, alternator belt and adjusted valves. My first experience with the fuel strip was when I ran out of fuel showing 1/3 of my first tank. I gave it the clicker fix recently and it worked well through a tank down to even lighting the reserve light. I understand that the strip works by comparing temperatures along sensors running the length. So is it logical to assume that the air above the fuel level was colder than the fuel and therefore it "confused" the level sensors on the strip?
    "The design is a classic Wheatstone bridge sort of design, with the two sides of the strip working as two legs of the bridge.. being compared in resistance to the other two legs. The resistance will change if a current is passed through the strip at a constant voltage, due to cooling of the resistive element by the fuel. The change in current can be used to calculate the resistance change, which can then be used to calculate the level."

    Doubtful - I understand that the estimated miles remaining computer works by comparing the current fuel level in the tank vs. a recent "smoothed" average MPG. How drastic was the change?
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

  12. #12

    I could br out to lunch....

    I was wondering if it was possible to replace the 07RT fuel strip problem with a 10RT float type fuel pump. I'm only asking because I just bought a new to me 2007 RT. The fuel gauge is currently working just fine, knock on wood or my own skull which ever is closer.

  13. #13
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by burnbender View Post
    I was wondering if it was possible to replace the 07RT fuel strip problem with a 10RT float type fuel pump. I'm only asking because I just bought a new to me 2007 RT. The fuel gauge is currently working just fine, knock on wood or my own skull which ever is closer.
    Maybe...
    Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

    I've not investigated this because my 2006 strip is still working fine. Saved the link just in case.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  14. #14
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,710
    I have bought this kit and hope to document the install and results when I can get to it.

    https://www.proebeemer.nl/

  15. #15

    Fuel strip warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    "The design is a classic Wheatstone bridge sort of design, with the two sides of the strip working as two legs of the bridge.. being compared in resistance to the other two legs. The resistance will change if a current is passed through the strip at a constant voltage, due to cooling of the resistive element by the fuel. The change in current can be used to calculate the resistance change, which can then be used to calculate the level."

    Doubtful - I understand that the estimated miles remaining computer works by comparing the current fuel level in the tank vs. a recent "smoothed" average MPG. How drastic was the change?
    After thinking about it, I decided to call the BMW dealership -200 miles away- to see the repair history and was told that it had been replaced under warranty in 2008 and it was covered for 12 years-wow.I will be bringing it in for a new one under warranty thursday...Hopefully the guy at the dealer is correct about the whole info

Similar Threads

  1. 05 1200RT Fuel Strip
    By drummer in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 02:36 PM
  2. I bought a used 2009 R 1200RT. I now have the fuel strip problem
    By JDOCKERY132445 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 01:24 AM
  3. 2005 R1200 ST - Fuel Strip Work Around?
    By mschack in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
  4. 2005 1200RT Fuel Strip Repair Pic Tutorial
    By 195450 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 02:53 AM
  5. Going to replace my fuel strip, 1200RT.
    By 118078 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •