Thread: Please help - side stand 1983 r100rt

Please help - side stand 1983 r100rt

Do not think I have a mounting point for my bike for the side stand and need one.

I have just powder coated frame and would hate to have to weld on a bracket to install a side stand. Seen people pushing through bolt that holds motor that could facilitate a side stand ?

My Center stand is gone,

Also I heard of Browns kicks stands ? They work ? Anything work where I do not have to weld Im hoping ?/

Please help take a look at my frame pictures please

Robbie
    Attached Images Attached Images

The stock OEM side stand is mounted inboard of the front
    frame mount between the mount and the engine block. The stand is sandwiched between the two. Not easily serviceable for most riders. So the stand hinge point gets neglected by a lot of riders. They can be fixed with a new stand. I've done several. That said Brown stands and several other variations are good replacements.

Lots here on aftermarket side stands.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Farley stand

I put a Farley side stand on my R80RT after the OEM stand failed. It has worked great. There are some photos of how the Farley attached in the following link (not my photos, but they show the attachment)

https://advrider.com/f/threads/got-a...e-day.1025285/

side stand

Thank you Gentlemen,

As per my Frame in the picture be in a brown stand or farley stand or stock stand would I have to weld it on too the frame to make it work ? Can I use the existing motor mount hole ?

Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by robbie9999 View Post
    Thank you Gentlemen,

As per my Frame in the picture be in a brown stand or farley stand or stock stand would I have to weld it on too the frame to make it work ? Can I use the existing motor mount hole ?

Robbie
    The Brown stand uses the rear motor mount stud and the exhaust header as the mounting points.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The Farley side stand is well made. I live just a few miles from his shop, and went there to get mine. First class operation, and the owner is sincere. Took a picture of it mounted on my R60/5 but cannot upload it.

Quote Originally Posted by drost View Post
    The Farley side stand is well made. I live just a few miles from his shop, and went there to get mine. First class operation, and the owner is sincere. Took a picture of it mounted on my R60/5 but cannot upload it.
    Probably it's too big. Try and resize it so that it is no more than say 2Mb big and then attempt to upload it.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The Farley stand uses the engine mount through bolt for the main attachment and the muffler bolt for the second attachment. You do not need any mount welded to the frame.

ddrost, I also went to the shop to get my Farley. I am a little farther from his shop. I agree it is a first class operation