Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW challenge coins?

Here you go. 2. Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them.

93ED5993-69ED-466D-B8B0-95CA375235C0.jpg
    408.8 KB

93ED5993-69ED-466D-B8B0-95CA375235C0.jpgB46DB02C-94EA-4BB2-9570-1118018BA39A.jpg

Not sure if the photos will come through but here is one BMW challenge coin from 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Heard of them, but never saw the point. I'm trying to get useless stuff out of my life. If you think I'm buying drinks because I don't have one, you'll be awfully thirsty.
    They are only appropriate where two or more individuals share a experience that they feel is unique and important to those individuals only. So just walking in to a bar and flashing a challenge coin only recognizable the individuals sharing a common past. So no, you would not be on the hook for buying a drink, unless of course, you meet another person who shared the same experience as yourself. For example, I was fortunate enough to experience the first BMW Authority Riders class at the Greer BMW training location, and at the end of the training, all participants were given a coin. So, if I were to go to a BMW event and meet up with any of the participants from the class either by chance or by design, if I didn't have my coin on me and the other participant(s) at the bar did, then I would be on the hook to buy him/her/them a drink. And well worth it too, as those folks put up with me dropping my bike probably 30 times or so during the two day class and only offered words of encouragement and patience. At the end of the two days, I felt confident enough to enter the herd within the figure 8 and iron cross configurations which was a big accomplishment for a 67 year guy coming off a high side broken ankle experience the year before and needing all the confidence building support I could find. And now, another year after the experience, I am thinking of purchasing another new motorcycle instead of giving up on the sport for good. So, the experience was excellent, and the coin is just another way to commemorate a quality experience for me..... YRMV....

Ranger Coin

Paul, it's a military tradition that has been adopted by other fraternal organizations. The Greer challenge coin, I WANT! Roberto Rodrigues, one of my instructors at the rally this year for the authority training, displayed the photos of the coin (shown above). Makes me want to attend the training that much more.

My ranger coin, (Ranger Battalion may have started the challenge coin tradition back in 1974, not sure, just know that when I left battalion no other unit I went to was doing the coin thing... took a while for the other units to catch up with the whole "espirit de corps" thing) resides in the uniform pocket of my daughter. When she was commissioned in the Airforce, we traded coins. I gave her, her first salute, and she gave me a dollar (also a military tradition) the dollar was a Susan B. Anthony coin... I gave her my beloved Ranger Coin that I carried with me my entire military career.

Occasionally we do the long distance coin check with a photo text of said coin.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Here you go.

93ED5993-69ED-466D-B8B0-95CA375235C0.jpg

B46DB02C-94EA-4BB2-9570-1118018BA39A.jpg

Not sure if the photos will come through but here is one BMW challenge coin from 2018.
    Those are sharp!
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Paul, it's a military tradition that has been adopted by other fraternal organizations. The Greer challenge coin, I WANT! Roberto Rodrigues, one of my instructors at the rally this year for the authority training, displayed the photos of the coin (shown above). Makes me want to attend the training that much more.

My ranger coin, (Ranger Battalion may have started the challenge coin tradition back in 1974, not sure, just know that when I left battalion no other unit I went to was doing the coin thing... took a while for the other units to catch up with the whole "espirit de corps" thing) resides in the uniform pocket of my daughter. When she was commissioned in the Airforce, we traded coins. I gave her, her first salute, and she gave me a dollar (also a military tradition) the dollar was a Susan B. Anthony coin... I gave her my beloved Ranger Coin that I carried with me my entire military career.

Occasionally we do the long distance coin check with a photo text of said coin.

Dang Reece, got a tear in the eye with that. Great story and the coin check with your daughter is awesome

Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Dang Reece, got a tear in the eye with that. Great story and the coin check with your daughter is awesome

Yeah... I miss her terribly. I tried to find the photos of our challenges, but they were buried in the photo app.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

So BMW has issued coins in the past for events. It's just a hop, skip and jump to get other coins made to commemorate the national rally etc. Apparently someone at BMW was/is aware of the coins and thought they'd be a nice touch for attendees in Greer.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

It is a quantum leap between BMW making a coin for their Performance Center and making one for any BMW MOA function.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It is a quantum leap between BMW making a coin for their Performance Center and making one for any BMW MOA function.
    What makes you believe it would be a quantum leap? BMW is fully aware and authorized the Greer coins with the logo on them.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    What makes you believe it would be a quantum leap? BMW is fully aware and authorized the Greer coins with the logo on them.
    Because the "Greer" coins were for/from the BMW Performance Center which is a BMWNA corporate facility having nothing to do with the BMW MOA.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Perhaps BMW does offer them but they require you work for them...could this be one:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IBA 45658 MOA167437
    728,482 miles on touring motorcycles

Total BMW miles 490,099

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Because the "Greer" coins were for/from the BMW Performance Center which is a BMWNA corporate facility having nothing to do with the BMW MOA.
    I thought BMW authorized anything with their name on it and had final say, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    I thought BMW authorized anything with their name on it and had final say, my mistake.
    Not a mistake at all. That is their Performance Center and their coin. Just not anything to do with BMW MOA (us guys).

I cleaned out the office at work on 30 June. The 10, 20, 25 and 30-yr service and other plaques were wrapped in thin foam wrap and placed on the back of a storage cabinet shelf in the Man Cave. The 35-yr service award was a printed sheet of paper in a frame from the Dollar General store. I left that trophy for the next occupant of the office. Tokens, like the coins, were passed out to whoever liked them. The best stuff was the failures that told a story.

Yep, I'm not one to get excited about these things. Got the memory, move on.
    Last edited by 36654; 07-21-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I have quite a few from Army/Reserve/NG service, they are collecting dust on my dresser. I have been presented with a few in work for Defense Dept. programs I have worked on. It's a Military thing, mostly Army.