• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harley-Davidson Electric Motorcycle

. I do remember my dad [born 1915] talking about how back in his day, the adults whining about the demise of the horse ! Delivery guys did not want to switch over to trucks, etc & so-on.

^^ this.
How many Episcopals does it take to change a light bulb

Four: one to change the bulb and three to say they liked it the old way.

. I do remember my dad [born 1915] talking about how back in his day, the adults whining about the demise of the horse ! Delivery guys did not want to switch over to trucks, etc & so-on.

^^ this.
How many Episcopals does it take to change a light bulb

Four: one to change the bulb and three to say they liked it the old way.

When I was a kid in 1950 milk was delivered in glass bottles every morning by a milkman with a horse drawn wagon cooled with blocks of ice. Within a couple of years the milkman got his first truck but the milk still came in glass bottles and the truck was cooled with blocks of ice.

Stayed with some friends in Spearfish last week and attended the pro flat track races in Rapid City. While stopped for fuel one afternoon we were passed by 5-6 electric Harleys that were part of the demo rides Harley offered at the rally. Could not tell if they were quiet or not because of the scores of bikes running life saving straight pipes, but they were moving right along.

When I was a kid in 1950 milk was delivered in glass bottles every morning by a milkman with a horse drawn wagon cooled with blocks of ice. Within a couple of years the milkman got his first truck but the milk still came in glass bottles and the truck was cooled with blocks of ice.

LOL...gradual change:dunno

Speaking of change ....... Heard on the news this morning that Budweiser was going to switch it's focus ? From beer to hard ciders ???

This is a statement from them .

"Hard cider is a fast-growing category that saw sales rise 37% to just over 13 million cases in 2013, according to market tracking firm Technomic. Earlier this month, MillerCoors launched its own Smith & Forge Hard Cider."

Times they are a changin'

I thought the Zeros were a bit pricy at $20,000. The H-D Livewire is $30,000. Liquid cooled and the battery weighs 250 lbs. Bike weighs about 550 lbs.

not quite yet

The idea is great, but right now just a fad by Harley, and Tesla. Great idea for public utilities to go green to recoup costs from all the wind and solar rebates to help maintain infrastructure costs. I'm all for going green ,but for all intense and circumstance these cars and bikes are rolling super fund sites, do to manufacturing, mining, and disposal. Can't wait for the stories from the GS crowd finding them on back roads miles from nowhere, thank god the forest service banned them from the back country.

I am surprised I don't see anybody having test ridden one. Well I have (as well as a Tesla) and let me tell you it is freaking awesome! It is the fastest, smoothest, quietest bike I ever rode and I have an awesome S1000XR.

It was the same eye opener for me as when I drove the Tesla. This is the future and it is right around the corner. The advantages of lower operating cost or environmental blah blah blah are not going to persuade someone like me but sheer performance and ride quality will. If I could I would have one in my stable as many people use a bike to commute to work or just ride around for some errands or such. For example I participate in a Wednesday evening group ride and we ride less than 100 miles.

As soon as they improve the range and a quicker re-charge its going to be game over. For example imagine a car or motorcycle that updates itself automatically while its parked in your garage over the internet(like your phone). That is Tesla. Imagine a bike or car that the highest operating expense is tires. That's Tesla. Imagine a car or bike that has no scheduled maintenance. My XR turns on a warning light if you ignore the dealer maintenance even if you do it yourself and we all know what the dealer maintenance costs every 6000 mile. Imagine no oil changes or tune-ups or valve adjustments or noise pollution etc...Imagine acceleration times faster than a Lamborghini or Ferrari or S1000RR. Imagine your carbon footprint at zero with your own windmill or solar-panel roof powering your bike or car.

Technology moves in leaps. The phone was stagnant for a century with small changes like rotary to pulse etc. Then boom in a decade we just about threw them all out for our cell phone/camera/computer/internet portal/gamer/gps/etc. device. The automobile and motorcycle too have been stagnant for decades with the small improvements like drum to disk or carburetor to fuel-injection, etc. Then boom!!

The idea is great, but right now just a fad by Harley, and Tesla. Great idea for public utilities to go green to recoup costs from all the wind and solar rebates to help maintain infrastructure costs. I'm all for going green ,but for all intense and circumstance these cars and bikes are rolling super fund sites, do to manufacturing, mining, and disposal. Can't wait for the stories from the GS crowd finding them on back roads miles from nowhere, thank god the forest service banned them from the back country.

Well, if one doesn't pursue new technologies, you'll have to find some career for employment to afford the next BMW badged product from China or India. Stagnant technology means a corporation can only survive by finding cheaper suppliers.

Last edited:
I am surprised I don't see anybody having test ridden one. Well I have (as well as a Tesla) and let me tell you it is freaking awesome! It is the fastest, smoothest, quietest bike I ever rode and I have an awesome S1000XR.

It was the same eye opener for me as when I drove the Tesla. This is the future and it is right around the corner. The advantages of lower operating cost or environmental blah blah blah are not going to persuade someone like me but sheer performance and ride quality will. If I could I would have one in my stable as many people use a bike to commute to work or just ride around for some errands or such. For example I participate in a Wednesday evening group ride and we ride less than 100 miles.

As soon as they improve the range and a quicker re-charge its going to be game over. For example imagine a car or motorcycle that updates itself automatically while its parked in your garage over the internet(like your phone). That is Tesla. Imagine a bike or car that the highest operating expense is tires. That's Tesla. Imagine a car or bike that has no scheduled maintenance. My XR turns on a warning light if you ignore the dealer maintenance even if you do it yourself and we all know what the dealer maintenance costs every 6000 mile. Imagine no oil changes or tune-ups or valve adjustments or noise pollution etc...Imagine acceleration times faster than a Lamborghini or Ferrari or S1000RR. Imagine your carbon footprint at zero with your own windmill or solar-panel roof powering your bike or car.

Technology moves in leaps. The phone was stagnant for a century with small changes like rotary to pulse etc. Then boom in a decade we just about threw them all out for our cell phone/camera/computer/internet portal/gamer/gps/etc. device. The automobile and motorcycle too have been stagnant for decades with the small improvements like drum to disk or carburetor to fuel-injection, etc. Then boom!!

A truly flat torque curve is a thing of beauty.

With respect, for me, it has NOTHING to do with "going green" the Prius is...it's a virtue signal that emphasizes green. Tesla, Live Wire and Zero are about new technology, cutting edge design, another power source that is perfect for various scenarios. With four motorcycles, two cars and leaf blower, lawn mower, snow blower chain saw- I'm not concerned about my carbon footprint BUT I'd love to add an electric bike to the mix- I'm even tempted by Tesla. BTW most reviews, and there are plenty, seem to be favorable

With respect, for me, it has NOTHING to do with "going green" the Prius is...it's a virtue signal that emphasizes green. Tesla, Live Wire and Zero are about new technology, cutting edge design, another power source that is perfect for various scenarios. With four motorcycles, two cars and leaf blower, lawn mower, snow blower chain saw- I'm not concerned about my carbon footprint BUT I'd love to add an electric bike to the mix- I'm even tempted by Tesla. BTW most reviews, and there are plenty, seem to be favorable

Actually, the hybrid-drive in the Prius (all-Toyotas and Lexus) is a really smart design and reflects a practical transition to a more efficient platform with traditional fuels. All electric is a great objective, but plug-in hybrids are coming to market in several attractive models (BMW 330e and 530e) which will cover many commuter needs in urban / suburban areas operating in a pure EV mode.

Most likely electric vehicles will be surcharged a “pay by the mile” fee...... In the near future.
OM

All electric is a great objective, but plug-in hybrids are coming to market in several attractive models (BMW 330e and 530e) which will cover many commuter needs in urban / suburban areas operating in a pure EV mode.

I would include the (my) Prius Prime in that group of attractive plug-in hybrids. My running average mpg's for over 40K miles is currently @ 98.2 mpg. That should decline slightly over the winter months, but is still an outstanding example of what is currently possible.

Harry

I would include the (my) Prius Prime in that group of attractive plug-in hybrids. My running average mpg's for over 40K miles is currently @ 98.2 mpg. That should decline slightly over the winter months, but is still an outstanding example of what is currently possible.

Harry

If they only offered a AWDe version in the Prime. Or offered an 8-way adjustable seat in the AWDe hybrid.

But, keep spreading the word. It's good technology on the market, today.

Harry

Kinda my point re: electric . Design? style? acceleration? luxury? it seems to boil down to primarily efficiency. Tesla, Zero and Live Wire are primarily vehicles that appeal to a host of sensibilities besides the electric aspect. I'm not maligning engineering aspects of the Prius merely pointing out what I see as a broader target demographic of these other EVs. I do concede that hybrid for now may offer more flexibility but the EV infrastructure is growing

As of now electric motorcycles are primarily urban and suburban putt-around bikes. They certainly are not touring bikes in any sensible meaning of the word. The series Long Way Up is tantalizing when they can get 160 miles on a charge part of the time and 70 miles on a charge under other conditions. Even then they had to precede the ride with the installation of 150 charging stations and supplement that with some good old fashioned extension cords. :)

Some day they will get the combinations of battery mass, weight, electric motor power, and battery composition to make reasonable travel on an electric motorcycle feasible. But as of now nobody is selling an electric motorcycle that I can reliably ride to town and back. They will, some day, probably sooner than I think.

Back