Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Harley-Davidson Electric Motorcycle

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I hate to agree here but ..... I must, because I believe it is inevitable . The green people are amassing numbers, and out numbering us. That gives them clout. And that moves the green vehicles into mainstream ....... jmo
    I'm not even sure being green has anything to do with it.

    A while back I watched a video and the guy on the vid was claiming that electric cars will become so inexpensive to buy and to operate that economically buyers will move away from gas. He stated that cost of electric to buy and operate will be 1/2 of gas in the early 2020's. Battery tech is getting cheaper as more companies move into the market. Electronic devices controls are getting more sophisticated and cheaper to produce. He claimed Tesla was trying to build cars that will run for 500,000 miles with no maintenance and aiming for 1,000,000 miles and no maintenance.

    He also said that companies like Uber and Lyft will own fleets of autonomous vehicles and private ownership of cars will drop, at least in the bigger cities. If you need a ride to work just contact Uber or Lyft on their app.

    I can see it coming. My wife drives maybe 5,000 miles a year. An electric car would make sense for her, but I would need a gas model for the longer trips.

    Us older guys probably just shake our heads and go, "no way!" But you have to wonder! Times are changing. Remember the song from Rush, Red Barchetta? It might be here in ten years, or less!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I hate to agree here but ..... I must, because I believe it is inevitable . The green people are amassing numbers, and out numbering us. That gives them clout. And that moves the green vehicles into mainstream ....... jmo
    As far as I can see- Harley (thankfully) isn't virtue signalling their electric bike. It's billed a cool, fast etc etc. I really wish them success down the road. They shouldn't even TRY to market it to the existing Harley crowd though...They need a whole new demographic for this machine and they should tout the bike other places. At some point, I'd add electric to my stable- it's cool! (Unfortunately I'll likely be dead by the time the prices are down and the range is up!

  3. #18
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,146
    When I was a kid, i used to put playing cards or balloons sticking into the spokes of the wheels on my bike so it would sound like a motorcycle. I'm gonna paternities the ides for Harleys.

    It's gonna take one hell of a card to keep those guys happy.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    Electric Harley! Is this the joke page?

    People buy Harleys as bar hopping accessories and for that low rumbling sound. Not the sound of a Makita drill at full tilt. Of course they could run an audio file of a real Harley through the stereo and pretend.
    Oddly enough, they may have finally realized that their aging customer demographic won’t carry them forever. HD has suffered even worse reduction of U.S. sales than other makers for several years now.

    Having said that, I doubt a $30k electric is going to attract many 18-24 year olds.

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I'm not even sure being green has anything to do with it.

    A while back I watched a video and the guy on the vid was claiming that electric cars will become so inexpensive to buy and to operate that economically buyers will move away from gas. He stated that cost of electric to buy and operate will be 1/2 of gas in the early 2020's. Battery tech is getting cheaper as more companies move into the market. Electronic devices controls are getting more sophisticated and cheaper to produce. He claimed Tesla was trying to build cars that will run for 500,000 miles with no maintenance and aiming for 1,000,000 miles and no maintenance.

    He also said that companies like Uber and Lyft will own fleets of autonomous vehicles and private ownership of cars will drop, at least in the bigger cities. If you need a ride to work just contact Uber or Lyft on their app.

    I can see it coming. My wife drives maybe 5,000 miles a year. An electric car would make sense for her, but I would need a gas model for the longer trips.

    Us older guys probably just shake our heads and go, "no way!" But you have to wonder! Times are changing. Remember the song from Rush, Red Barchetta? It might be here in ten years, or less!

    "He also said that companies like Uber and Lyft will own fleets of autonomous vehicles and private ownership of cars will drop, at least in the bigger cities. If you need a ride to work just contact Uber or Lyft on their app."

    Agree here , and have said the same myself. And this is what i see as the end of self driven , internal combustion ... as a means of transportation. Our vehicles will be reduced to museum pieces. At that time, they simply could not have driven cars, on the road with satellite ?? controlled pods running around.


    "Times are changing. Remember the song from Rush, Red Barchetta? It might be here in ten years, or less!"

    Do not remember the song but ..... I do remember my dad [born 1915] talking about how back in his day, the adults whining about the demise of the horse ! Delivery guys did not want to switch over to trucks, etc & so-on.

    That's when times were changing back then.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    334
    . I do remember my dad [born 1915] talking about how back in his day, the adults whining about the demise of the horse ! Delivery guys did not want to switch over to trucks, etc & so-on.

    ^^ this.
    How many Episcopals does it take to change a light bulb

    Four: one to change the bulb and three to say they liked it the old way.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    . I do remember my dad [born 1915] talking about how back in his day, the adults whining about the demise of the horse ! Delivery guys did not want to switch over to trucks, etc & so-on.

    ^^ this.
    How many Episcopals does it take to change a light bulb

    Four: one to change the bulb and three to say they liked it the old way.
    When I was a kid in 1950 milk was delivered in glass bottles every morning by a milkman with a horse drawn wagon cooled with blocks of ice. Within a couple of years the milkman got his first truck but the milk still came in glass bottles and the truck was cooled with blocks of ice.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  8. #23
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,502
    Stayed with some friends in Spearfish last week and attended the pro flat track races in Rapid City. While stopped for fuel one afternoon we were passed by 5-6 electric Harleys that were part of the demo rides Harley offered at the rally. Could not tell if they were quiet or not because of the scores of bikes running life saving straight pipes, but they were moving right along.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    When I was a kid in 1950 milk was delivered in glass bottles every morning by a milkman with a horse drawn wagon cooled with blocks of ice. Within a couple of years the milkman got his first truck but the milk still came in glass bottles and the truck was cooled with blocks of ice.

    LOL...gradual change
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    466
    Rush, Red Barchetta, for those of you that dementia has set in!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  11. #26
    Speaking of change ....... Heard on the news this morning that Budweiser was going to switch it's focus ? From beer to hard ciders ???

    This is a statement from them .

    "Hard cider is a fast-growing category that saw sales rise 37% to just over 13 million cases in 2013, according to market tracking firm Technomic. Earlier this month, MillerCoors launched its own Smith & Forge Hard Cider."

    Times they are a changin'
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Similar Threads

  1. Something very different from Harley Davidson
    By AKsuited in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM
  2. Harley-Davidson--NOT
    By lkchris in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
  3. Harley Davidson
    By Novicebmwlover in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 11:10 PM
  4. Harley Davidson Motorcycle Oil
    By JERRYMCC10 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •