• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harley-Davidson Electric Motorcycle

I think they are coming ... the electric vehicles will quickly take over the gas powered ones .... and it would just make sense.

I think they are coming ... the electric vehicles will quickly take over the gas powered ones .... and it would just make sense.

To and from the restaurant, bar, or Dairy Queen yes, maybe. To and from someplace further than 50 miles away - not yet and probably not soon.

To and from the restaurant, bar, or Dairy Queen yes, maybe. To and from someplace further than 50 miles away - not yet and probably not soon.

Lots of places around here to plug in and charge up while you visit, eat and shop. There is even a hydrogen 🔥 refill station. I don’t think I have ever seen a hydrogen powered vehicle :dunno

As Mr. Zimmerman said “The times they are a changing”.

OM

Lots of places around here to plug in and charge up while you visit, eat and shop. There is even a hydrogen 🔥 refill station. I don’t think I have ever seen a hydrogen powered vehicle :dunno

As Mr. Zimmerman said “The times they are a changing”.

OM

So out of curiosity what are the charge times once I exhaust my 80 or so mile highway range? Actually I would like an electric bike but I am an outlier living 53 miles from town. As of now nobody makes an electric that will get me to town and back, let alone up to British Columbia next month. And $30K or $50K or $70K is more than I would spend even if I could.

For the guys living way out there the electrics have a long way to go. That said I can see in the very near future that most of us will have at least one electric vehicle and maybe a gasser for those long trips.

My wife drives less than ten miles most days, and rarely leaves the city. An electric would suit her very well. I believe electric vehicles will take over very fast, and sooner than any of us can imagine. There is also talk that many people will not even bother to own vehicle. Companies like Uber and Lyft are going to own fleets of vehicles. If you need to get to work, just request an autonomous electric vehicle to run you to work. Then people comment that everyone goes to work at 8AM, I can see that would take a minor adjustment in scheduling, plus as time goes by I bet we will see more people working from home.

I think many of us are going to be very surprised where this is going. Ten years is a long time as far as technology.

Back in the '80's I remember telling someone that I could see the time where nobody owns a land line and everything is Cellular. He told me it would never happen. Today many people don't have land lines, we have not had one for 20 years.

...To and from someplace further than 50 miles away - not yet and probably not soon.

Paul: just looked up the Zero S electric bike, off their website: "...With an aerodynamic riding posture that helps deliver up to 223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway, the Zero S offers the highest range in the Zero lineup." https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/. I didn't look too much but in one video the sales guy said $16,000 for the high end model minus 10% government rebate.

Paul: just looked up the Zero S electric bike, off their website: "...With an aerodynamic riding posture that helps deliver up to 223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway, the Zero S offers the highest range in the Zero lineup." https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/. I didn't look too much but in one video the sales guy said $16,000 for the high end model minus 10% government rebate.

Ah gee, I was off by 4 to 6 miles at most. It is 53 miles to town. Add a mile or two to the grocery store and hardware store, so say 55 miles and 53 to get back home on a 75mph two lane state highway. So 108 out of their claimed 112. And where do I put the groceries? Not yet ready for prime time in West Texas.

Ah gee, I was off by 4 to 6 miles at most. It is 53 miles to town. Add a mile or two to the grocery store and hardware store, so say 55 miles and 53 to get back home on a 75mph two lane state highway. So 108 out of their claimed 112. And where do I put the groceries? Not yet ready for prime time in West Texas.

Battery pack panniers to extend your range, and groceries in the topcase. That will have to tide you over until Gen 2 is shipping, with an onboard compacted-design 50cc gasoline engine driving a 500 watt alternator to handle your range issue. Oh, and the panniers are then free for more groceries.

We can be as creative as we like so long as we’re not the ones tasked with moving ideas into realities. 😉

Best,
DeVern

And it's not even the ranges. It's the charging stations. Every year when I go into town there are more and more of them. Now just about every parking building has them. Even fast food restaurants. ... Couple of times a year we drive several hours to visit family, always stopped at this one town for lunch at a Culvers, now the Teslas are also sitting there on the chargers. So don't just look at the ranges but the quickly increasing availability of charging stations.

Electric bicycles are becoming very, very popular. Around here the Amish are buying tons of them. I think a lot of the electric motorcycles are still going for that "motorcycle feel", but I bet we meet in the middle someplace in the future. If I had a short commute and lived where year round motorcycling were an option I'd probably just buy a small scooter. A sub $5K price point and 100MPG performance would be difficult to beat by an electric in my lifetime......but an electric bicycle could be the answer.

I still say that a big appeal of the Tesla is the ability to recharge at home and forego gas stations. It seems like tons of people abhor gas stations. In Southern CA I have seen companies advertised that come to your house and fill up your car with gas so you do not have to deal with the unwashed masses that frequent those filthy places.

Close to where I live there is a Tesla recharging station. Apparently their onboard technology allows you to hopscotch from station to station. I often fill up at the BP across the street. I'm not certain how long it takes to fill one of those up, but this is in the middle of nowhere. Sure you can walk to a dirty old McDonalds a few hundred yards away, but do Tesla drivers eat McDonalds? Sometimes they are playing Frisbee or walking their dog. Often when it is more than one it is like a Tesla version of a bike night with each of them walking around each other's car in a nodding in a self affirming circle jerk of enlightenment for buying the same product. Sort of a Tesla charging station church to dedicated to Elon Musk.

They do have an "emergency" 110V cable to plug into household current, but I heard of one motor journalist that tried to use it when he purposely got outside their "station grid" taking their kid to camp. With this cable hooked to 110V it took an hour to add each one mile of range. Lol

Bully for Harley. I wish them success. I'm waiting on the day they DO fit my lifestyle, till then I've got two dinosaur juice recyclers just itching to get out on the open road. Installing charge stations at their dealers is a great idea, that one hour re-charge time should allow one plenty of time to shop for more branded products.

Electric Harley! Is this the joke page?

People buy Harleys as bar hopping accessories and for that low rumbling sound. Not the sound of a Makita drill at full tilt. Of course they could run an audio file of a real Harley through the stereo and pretend. :dance

I hate to agree here but ..... I must, because I believe it is inevitable . The green people are amassing numbers, and out numbering us. That gives them clout. And that moves the green vehicles into mainstream ....... jmo

If this gives anyone any hope, my wife's PHEV BMW 530EX (plugin hybrid) has adaptive cruise control. After a recent electronic update, it started to recognize motorcycles as vehicles, then slow and brake as it approached them in the same lane. Nonetheless...keep checking your six, OK?

I hate to agree here but ..... I must, because I believe it is inevitable . The green people are amassing numbers, and out numbering us. That gives them clout. And that moves the green vehicles into mainstream ....... jmo

I'm not even sure being green has anything to do with it.

A while back I watched a video and the guy on the vid was claiming that electric cars will become so inexpensive to buy and to operate that economically buyers will move away from gas. He stated that cost of electric to buy and operate will be 1/2 of gas in the early 2020's. Battery tech is getting cheaper as more companies move into the market. Electronic devices controls are getting more sophisticated and cheaper to produce. He claimed Tesla was trying to build cars that will run for 500,000 miles with no maintenance and aiming for 1,000,000 miles and no maintenance.

He also said that companies like Uber and Lyft will own fleets of autonomous vehicles and private ownership of cars will drop, at least in the bigger cities. If you need a ride to work just contact Uber or Lyft on their app.

I can see it coming. My wife drives maybe 5,000 miles a year. An electric car would make sense for her, but I would need a gas model for the longer trips.

Us older guys probably just shake our heads and go, "no way!" But you have to wonder! Times are changing. Remember the song from Rush, Red Barchetta? It might be here in ten years, or less!

As far as I can see- Harley (thankfully) isn't virtue signalling their electric bike. It's billed a cool, fast etc etc. I really wish them success down the road. They shouldn't even TRY to market it to the existing Harley crowd though...They need a whole new demographic for this machine and they should tout the bike other places. At some point, I'd add electric to my stable- it's cool! (Unfortunately I'll likely be dead by the time the prices are down and the range is up!

When I was a kid, i used to put playing cards or balloons sticking into the spokes of the wheels on my bike so it would sound like a motorcycle. I'm gonna paternities the ides for Harleys.

It's gonna take one hell of a card to keep those guys happy.

Electric Harley! Is this the joke page?

People buy Harleys as bar hopping accessories and for that low rumbling sound. Not the sound of a Makita drill at full tilt. Of course they could run an audio file of a real Harley through the stereo and pretend. :dance

Oddly enough, they may have finally realized that their aging customer demographic won’t carry them forever. HD has suffered even worse reduction of U.S. sales than other makers for several years now.

Having said that, I doubt a $30k electric is going to attract many 18-24 year olds.

I'm not even sure being green has anything to do with it.

A while back I watched a video and the guy on the vid was claiming that electric cars will become so inexpensive to buy and to operate that economically buyers will move away from gas. He stated that cost of electric to buy and operate will be 1/2 of gas in the early 2020's. Battery tech is getting cheaper as more companies move into the market. Electronic devices controls are getting more sophisticated and cheaper to produce. He claimed Tesla was trying to build cars that will run for 500,000 miles with no maintenance and aiming for 1,000,000 miles and no maintenance.

He also said that companies like Uber and Lyft will own fleets of autonomous vehicles and private ownership of cars will drop, at least in the bigger cities. If you need a ride to work just contact Uber or Lyft on their app.

I can see it coming. My wife drives maybe 5,000 miles a year. An electric car would make sense for her, but I would need a gas model for the longer trips.

Us older guys probably just shake our heads and go, "no way!" But you have to wonder! Times are changing. Remember the song from Rush, Red Barchetta? It might be here in ten years, or less!

"He also said that companies like Uber and Lyft will own fleets of autonomous vehicles and private ownership of cars will drop, at least in the bigger cities. If you need a ride to work just contact Uber or Lyft on their app."

Agree here , and have said the same myself. And this is what i see as the end of self driven , internal combustion ... as a means of transportation. Our vehicles will be reduced to museum pieces. At that time, they simply could not have driven cars, on the road with satellite ?? controlled pods running around.

"Times are changing. Remember the song from Rush, Red Barchetta? It might be here in ten years, or less!"

Do not remember the song but ..... I do remember my dad [born 1915] talking about how back in his day, the adults whining about the demise of the horse ! Delivery guys did not want to switch over to trucks, etc & so-on.

That's when times were changing back then.

Back