• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 04 R1150 Rider

bmurph82

Hello everyone, my name is Brian and I'm new to the BMW world. Purchased a 2004 BMW R1150 about a month ago, currently riding down in Louisiana near the New Orleans area. So far I really love the bike, I grew up riding Yamaha R6's and then R1's so this is definitely a different feel for me. Joined to really keep up on the common maintenance issues along with some plans of changing out some parts here and there. Bike currently has 25k miles, well maintained, but any and all suggestions for upkeep would be appreciated.

Hello Brian, I'm also pretty new to the world of BMW motorcycles. I bought my first BMW last November, an '03 R1150RT, and I'm also just loving the living daylights out of it! You'll get plenty of good advice here from some very experienced and serious mechanics and riders; I know I have.

One of the first things I did to mine based on advice I received here was replaced the OEM rubber brake hoses with braided stainless steel. The rubber deteriorates over time. You don't say whether your bike is an RT, and I don't know if all the R1150s have ABS, but my RT does. The deteriorating rubber causes problems with the ABS module.

Welcome and enjoy!

Hello everyone, my name is Brian and I'm new to the BMW world. Purchased a 2004 BMW R1150 about a month ago, currently riding down in Louisiana near the New Orleans area. So far I really love the bike, I grew up riding Yamaha R6's and then R1's so this is definitely a different feel for me. Joined to really keep up on the common maintenance issues along with some plans of changing out some parts here and there. Bike currently has 25k miles, well maintained, but any and all suggestions for upkeep would be appreciated.

Welcome here.

The best investment you can make in your bike is premium suspension.

The only issues that will crop up with your bike happen at about 100k miles... unless you are heavy and/or carry a lot of luggage for long distances. This tends to destroy the large carrier bearing in the rear drive. Get a magnetic drain plug for the drive (your bike might already have one) and keep an eye out for metal fragments when servicing. A light amount of "fuzz" is normal.

The "whizzy brakes" required special attention when bleeding, and dealers charge quite a bit for this service. Learning to do it yourself will save you a LOT of money.

More that one motojournalist has commented to me that the 1150s are the best motorcycle in the world. Not just the best BMW, the best motorcycle.

Ian

Back