• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

97 RT Spiegler brake line swap

romulanremus

Amateur Surgeon
I got the set of five yesterday and started the install. Had a few issues. I couldn't get the left front caliper line to break free where it goes through its bracket. The screw holding the bracket to the left fork was frozen, and a chisel didn't manage to free it up so I ended up cutting the head off. It was only after I got the line off I saw that with a little more tugging the line would have pulled through the bracket. Oh well, still down one hand for now. Maybe with two I could have gotten it.

The big issue is the line from the ABS module to the 3-way tee mounted on the right fork. The banjo angle is incorrect, causing the end of it and the first part of the brake line to hit the telelever spring. I tried to reposition it with the banjo pointing straight down, but that made the line too short and keeps the steering from turning fully to the left.

I talked to Brian at Spiegler and he was very helpful. They sell one kit for 95-97s and another for 98-01 1100RTs; I ordered for 95-97 of course. But it looks like I got bit by the mid-year swap-over thing. 95-97 calls for a 20º banjo, 98-01 calls for a 45º. Brian says this has never come up before as far as he knows, and he is sending me out a new line stat, gratis too.

So great customer support at Spiegler, very happy with them. Now to run the VIN on this bike and see what I find out.

Spiegler has an excellent product and outstanding service.
They are truly #1.
I won't use anyone else.

The replacement line should be here today or tomorrow. I’m not in a hurry as she’s on the operating table right now with her tranny removed and waiting for a friction disc.

Spiegler lines for 1999 R1100RT are on the way..

I replaced the front brake caliper on R1100RT 2 years ago and should have replaced my lines..
Today, my front brakes locked up and new lines, front and rear, are on the way from Spiegler.

Thanks for the tips !

I left everything connected till the new lines came in. I don’t know if that made a difference but I had no problems bleeding the system and everything worked correctly the first time out. It also helped to route the new lines correctly leaving it all till the new Spieglers arrived.

Installed Spiegler Brakes (front and rear) on my 1999 R1100RT - Great product

Wow, the Spiegler kit was amazing.. seriously.
The kit for 1999 R1100RT :
1) had each line had a sticker indicating the location of the line
2) was a Perfect fit
3) included a front fork 'splitter' which also fit perfectly

Time will tell regarding quality of the lines but so far the fit and finish is perfect.

Note, on the RT I had to remove the front fender and the right side fairing in order to get to the brake line connections leading to the ABS unit.
I guess technically, you could try an install w/ the fairing in place, but you might fit it tough.

Thank you to the folks on this thread for sharing their wisdom ! :)

I didn’t think about the front fender, I already had it removed to install a Fenda Extenda to keep rocks and road schmutz out of the bottom fairing crossover and off the HES cover. Glad you’re happy with the Spieglers.

Recently had my 2000 R11RT in for full service (56k on clock) getting ready for road trip up to Vancouver BC. Then last week had the short ( left side ) front caliper hose start to leak fluid. Stupid me, way over time to change to new, braided lines. Had to have her towed to dealer in SF. Since i just had the big service just done, they ordered new Spiegler lines, $50 less then on line price, and only charged 3 hours labor which was more than fair. I could have done it myself, but im sure i would have ran into something that would have slowed me down. (Always happens). Picking her up this Wednesday and leaving Friday am. Ill take some pics and post them for the faithful oilheads. Btw, Spiegler lines are guaranteed for life.

Well, just got back from my 2k trip. The new brake lines are great. So much more feel. Should have done it a few years ago.

Last edited:
Back