• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 75/5 ignition switch

Replacing the ignition switch on my '72 R75/5. "There is an elliptical band spring that holds a ball bearing on the internal shaft" from a post long ago by James A. (you still out there James?). I can see where the ball bearings fit into the shaft. I received 2 elliptical band springs with the kit I bought from "Boxer 2-Valve (Wunderlich America)". One spring has a clean split, on the other the end edges are flared in. My dilemma is, ( other than the "sproing" when I took the original switch out ), do I use both of the band springs maybe one inside the other or, what is the correct assembly? Many thanks.

R75/5 ignition switch

Yeah, post from 12 years ago! Thank you both for the input; I will follow up with those resources.

If you are assembling the column/tower/what ever we call it, use one spring band (i'd use the one that is not flared) and make sure the open end is opposite the ball. The ball is the detent that fits in to the grooves in the key(nail).
BTW, my post from 12 years ago is one of the most exhaustive posts I've ever written, and was composed when the issue was still fresh in my mind. Feel free to contact me directly if you want more guidance.

Back