• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Assessing value of R75/5

cahokie

Hello all - my first post.

I read the guidelines, so hopefully this is not spam.

I have received as an amazing gift several years ago a 1972 R75/5. I rode it a few times, and it sure is an awesome machine.

Some personal circumstances are driving me to sell it since it has been sitting in my garage for a few years now. I wish I had the time to understand the mechanics of this bike, but unfortunately my desire outstripped my time. I need to part with it, but not sure how to price it since it does not run and I can't spend the money to bring to a shop to get it fixed up and then sell it. I know she ran before it went into long term storage beause I was the last to ride it.

The bike was fully restored. The person who did the restoration took immaculate detailed records of the process and I have the photos on CD on nearly every single step of the process. There are full service records, sales slips for nearly every bolt, and even copies of Airmail and the Airheads daI directory. I think the restorer might be a member of this forum? The bike apparently had a name too, "Giselle". The odomoter reads 8,863 but not sure if that is the true mileage.

I just want to price it fairly. I see going rates for about $5k but in other states. I really have little clue what drives value for these bikes or if I should spend the money and get it fixed and then sell.

The bike is located in Northern California (San Jose area)

Thanks and apologies if I broke any rules of the forum. Any advice greatly appreciated.

-Erik

r75-5bb.jpg

Last edited:
Your photo didn't post. Try again.

Prices are all over the board ($3,000-7,000+), depending upon condition, geographic location, and owner belief that their bike is a collector's item.

Do a search using Searchtempest.com as a sounding board. Searchtempest simultaneously searches the entire craigslist network.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, but ultimately what you are willing to accept.

You really need to get it running for the best return. If it was running previously I don't imagine there is that much wrong with it (dead battery, bad fuel, ignition timing, etc.)

Edit

Or > https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcd/d/annapolis-junction-1975-bmw-r75-6/6927642873.html

Is this real?

This post reminds me of another I replied to a couple of months ago in March from Mike66 about a too beautiful R100T, 40 years old with 1000 miles - A story almost too good to be true by someone brand new to the site with very few posts and a November 30 birthday! Coincidence? An astute observer noticed a lot wrong with the picture posted. But what does anyone get out of postings like this?

I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken but the similarities are striking.

Isn't that just a stock photo??

H. Juster -

I think you're reading too much into this. Note that many, many people on the forum show a birthday of Nov 30...that happens to be the default if you enter nothing. Could also be, but I don't know, that using photobucket basic results in those watermarks, but if you use the pro version, they're gone.

I agree that I might be reading too much into it. The default date makes sense. Perhaps the original poster can weigh back in and I will gladly apologize for my paranoia.

This post reminds me of another I replied to a couple of months ago in March from Mike66 about a too beautiful R100T, 40 years old with 1000 miles - A story almost too good to be true by someone brand new to the site with very few posts and a November 30 birthday! Coincidence? An astute observer noticed a lot wrong with the picture posted. But what does anyone get out of postings like this?

I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken but the similarities are striking.

Isn't that just a stock photo??

Wow. Ok. Sorry about your previous experience. I am indeed new to this forum. In fact I asked the liason moderator Kurt (20774) first if it was appropriate to post, so apologies if I messed this up anyhow. I was trying to figure out how to post a pic from my phone, but the file size was maybe too big as the site kept saying there was an "error".

I guess I can only say that I am a real person, this is a real bike, I have a real situation and was looking for real advice. I don't live to close to a BMW shop and thought of towing it and paying all that money to make it run just to sell it wasn't my first choice.

I came here because I figured people here would appreciate this bike and would know way more than myself. I am not sure how else to "prove" that this bike is real and I was seeking real advice. Sorry if I offended anyone - it was not my intent.

Thanks,
Erik (a real person) :)

PS. I tried to edit my birthday and it doesn't seem like it is possilbe. On that part you are right. My birthday is actually April 3rd...not sure where I goofed on that.

Well, thank you for weighing back in and my apologies.
I think the photos with the watermarks made me most suspect.

I hope you get a lot of good advice on your bike, and Yes, you should get it running to maximize its value.

:)

That part of California must have many Airheads who could lend a hand in at least looking at the likely cause of a non starting /5. Who is the California Air Marshall? And who in the general San Jose area might be able to take a look-see (tech term)?

To the OP

Have you joined the Airheads Beemer Club yet? www.airheads.org We have many members and events in NorCal who would be pleased to assist you to learn more about you machine.

A running motorcycle is worth at least 2X what a piece of garage furniture is worth, no matter how shiny.

Friedle
Airheads BoD
Hudson Valley, NY

Nice looking bike from the photos. Might post a few photos of the pile of receipts and stuff. Don’t know your situation and how pressed for time and money you are, but I see what people are saying about getting it running. My guess is that it’s a dead battery and gummed up carbs if you rode it last. Could be a few hundred to get it running. A few more for a new set of tires. Then again is it worth it to you.

I like the recommendation to ask the airheads. When I was a member, they all seemed to be out West. I know that’s not true, but that’s how it seemed.

Are you originally from my area? (Virginia)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will try and get it running before I sell it.

Any folks in the San Jose area (I live in Morgan Hill) and would want to take a look - I would love that!

Oh, I am from New York but I went to Virginia Tech ('95) - hence the "Hokie" in my username.

Thansk again everyone!

-Erik

Don't forget that Ted Porter's shop is only about 40 minutes down the road the Scotts Valley.

H. Juster -

I think you're reading too much into this. Note that many, many people on the forum show a birthday of Nov 30...that happens to be the default if you enter nothing. Could also be, but I don't know, that using photobucket basic results in those watermarks, but if you use the pro version, they're gone.

Wow! That's my daughter's birthday!

It looks like a very well done re-paint. In my book, a repaint is not as good as original paint, but a very good repaint is equal to or better than a dog-eared original. Running is better than not. That might be the difference between $2500 and $4000 or better.

The risk is this. The pool of enthusiast buyers gets smaller all the time.

Go to the auction site bringatrailer.com. Click on search and type in R75/5.
You will find the results of previous auctions as well as current ones.
This gives you a good idea what the bikes are actually selling for.

Back