Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RT heat management

RT heat management

As much as I enjoy my bike, I find that when riding above 90* it is very uncomfortable to ride. The amount of heat coming out of the radiator grills is too close to your legs. (save your inevitable remark of atgatt) In my opinion itís a bad design. Forget resting your left hand on your leg. It will get cooked. Highway pegs or just relaxing your legs away from the tank for a few minutes will cook your gentlemen. Maybe Iím just delicate soul.

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    As much as I enjoy my bike, I find that when riding above 90* it is very uncomfortable to ride. The amount of heat coming out of the radiator grills is too close to your legs. (save your inevitable remark of atgatt) In my opinion itís a bad design. Forget resting your left hand on your leg. It will get cooked. Highway pegs or just relaxing your legs away from the tank for a few minutes will cook your gentlemen. Maybe Iím just delicate soul.
    I can feel heat on my legs only on two occasions. When I splay my knees outward more than normal, and when I put the soles of my boots on the highway pegs. Put the back of my boot up on the highway pegs, no heat.

Of all the bikes I have owned this 2014 RT is simply the best I have ridden when it comes to not getting heat onto the rider. The Oilheads pushed a great deal of heat out of the oil cooler toward the handlebars and onto the rider. The V Stroms all have had more heat, and heat that was hard to get away from.

Try tucking your knees in a bit.

I recently rode for quite a few days in temps over 100F, peaking at 104F and did not experience heat from the radiator output ducts on my '16 RT. I was wearing Alipnestars touring boots and Denim/Kevlar jeans.

I just purchased an '18 RT and riding it home Saturday experienced temps right at 90 for about 2 hours. I was hot, dam hot, but I thought the temperature management was about the best I've ever experienced on a bike of this caliber. I'm spleeny when it comes to heat so I feel your pain.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Someone gave a couple of lectures/workshop at the "Scoot, Boot N' Boogie" rally on the subject of heat management last month. I missed both of them. If someone attended the workshop and could fill us in with his wisdom, many would benefit, I'd say.

A number of vendors had cooling vests, but I don't know if that's the solution offered at the Rally.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Someone gave a couple of lectures/workshop at the "Scoot, Boot N' Boogie" rally on the subject of heat management last month. I missed both of them. If someone attended the workshop and could fill us in with his wisdom, many would benefit, I'd say.

A number of vendors had cooling vests, but I don't know if that's the solution offered at the Rally.
    I dunno if any of the lectures included this material or not but it changed the way I think about heat management. It's long and somewhat technical but worth the trouble to understand IMO.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Geez, go ride a late model Harley and get back with me!

I have been riding HD baggers for years, and have about cooked myself when it gets over 90F. I just rode 650 miles on my '18 RT in 90F and even my wife commented on how much cooler it was. The only complaint is BMW did a fabulous job of protecting the rider. I could use a bit more air movement, but I see that is a common complaint. Still cooler than my Harley!

I am going to shop for a narrow, taller than stock windscreen. I was hoping to get more wind around the sides, and still keep the wind off my head.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

The seminars were presented by Mario Winkleman - owner of LD Comfort. https://ldcomfort.com/

Mario has completed the Iron Butt Rally and his products are worn my most Iron Butt Rally veterans.

His products and his recommendations are in my opinion the real deal. I have shorts, tights, a shirt and sleeves from LD Comfort.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The seminars were presented by Mario Winkleman - owner of LD Comfort. https://ldcomfort.com/

Mario has completed the Iron Butt Rally and his products are worn my most Iron Butt Rally veterans.

His products and his recommendations are in my opinion the real deal. I have shorts, tights, a shirt and sleeves from LD Comfort.
    I have the undies. They are great and prevent the "nappy rash" that I've experienced on long mulit-day rides when sitting on a leather or vinyl seat, and the skin irritation from kevlar against the skin, with kevlar lined jeans.

I live and ride in Arizona. It's regularly hitting the low 100's lately. I wear mesh, and find the bike is fine up to mid 90's, the only issue being the lack of air movement, especially in town and at lower speeds. No issue with radiator heat that I can tell. I'm 5'9 and even with the stock windscreen all the way down, I do not get enough airflow on my torso. With assistance from my local dealer, I ended up going to the low windscreen from the Mars Red RT with sport style pkg, and found it to be a great improvement in that regard. Good for 100F now, over that it's still just really hot and probably a cooling vest is required. It also helps to acclimatize yourself gradually to the heat and drink beaucoup water..
    2014 F800GT Valencia Orange
    2017 R1200RT Carbon Black

Above about 98 degrees F, you do not want "more air flow" as it will act a convective heat source on your body. You need evaporative cooling. I achieve that through dousing my head and upper body with water (pour the water down your jacket sleeve). I recently rode for 8 hrs at over 100 degrees using this method. I was bone dry within 30 minutes. The other thing is to use an insulated camelback and continuously drink cool water. I got mine for a reasonable price at Walmart. I don't want to ride at these elevated temps, but living in AZ, I have little choice at times.

Go ride any Indian motorcycle if you want to experience poor heat management...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    I dunno if any of the lectures included this material or not but it changed the way I think about heat management. It's long and somewhat technical but worth the trouble to understand IMO.
    Thanks for the link to the article. I just read it through, and it's got a scientific orientation. The key takeaways I got from the article were that mesh gear is your friend below 93F and definitely non-helpful above 93F, and that water consumption above 93F needs to be 10oz. per/hour, and above 103F 22oz. per/hour. At the end of the article is helpful information about the role of wicking undergarments.

Here's the final paragraph from the article:

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 8.28.27 AM.png
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

I went to the LD Comfort seminar at last years rally. I'm sure this year was the same. Here is a link which will provide the info in summary form. I've used the technique and it works great.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Thanks for the link to the article. I just read it through, and it's got a scientific orientation. The key takeaways I got from the article were that mesh gear is your friend below 93F and definitely non-helpful above 93F, and that water consumption above 93F needs to be 10oz. per/hour, and above 103F 22oz. per/hour. At the end of the article is helpful information about the role of wicking undergarments.

Here's the final paragraph from the article:

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 8.28.27 AM.png
    Yes, you will note that they use the term "wind".. and "windblast"..

I totally agree about "wind". That's what I get on a naked bike, or my 800GT. Or what some of you get on a GS. But that's different from air "movement".

The RT fairing is so large that it blocks almost all of the air movement, so for some of us we need to get a little more, hence the mesh gear and a lower windscreen in my case. It balances out fine up to 100F for me. But I also spend 4 months a year in the tropics so I am acclimated somewhat.

Your mileage may vary..
    2014 F800GT Valencia Orange
    2017 R1200RT Carbon Black

heat on legs

for those that have highway pegs check out www.thebootscoop.com it will work as advertised or i will refund your money!
    2014 R1200RT
    Now gone 09 RT
    10xxx and going!
    living for riding,riding reason to live!