• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires

pearl54

Hi all,
I have gone through my first set of tires 1600 GT. I will be heading to the dealership to have new shoes put on. They are telling me they have Dunlop or Michelin. Any advice on choice? Thank you in advance.

I've run both the Dunlop and Michelin.
I like the way the Dunlops perform much better.
I will be buying another set before their $40 rebate expires end of this month.
As a side note: I run them at 44/44.

Joe

Metzler road tech 01

10500 miles on tires great tires started out they didn’t seem to track that well. Left Minnesota to Colorado with 6900 miles on them. I pushed them very hard in the MTNS they were great both wet and dry.
I’m currently Murdo SD with a fried battery awaiting my new one tomorrow, looked at the tires this mornin and they probably have another 1000 miles left on them b4 there to the wear marks.

I will probably replace wth ContiRoadAttack 3 GT JUST because I want to try them

That’s my 2 cents

tires

Hi all,
I have gone through my first set of tires 1600 GT. I will be heading to the dealership to have new shoes put on. They are telling me they have Dunlop or Michelin. Any advice on choice? Thank you in advance.

Have a new 1600 grand america. First set were bridgstone battalax 3600 mi. So the next set are dunlop roadsmart 3 About$ 35.00 less than the Michlin. they work real well wet or dry. The C.H.P. use the dunlop now at my shop.I have about 3500 miles on my roadsmarts and think i can get 6-7ooo miles. Hope this helps Monte

Hi all,
They are telling me they have Dunlop or Michelin. Any advice on choice? Thank you in advance.

I just installed a new Dunlop RoadSmart III on the front. I've been happy with this set's performance; rear still has a couple thousand to go. No cupping on the front; it just wore down. I do pull a camper at times, and I assume it requires more effort to control my get-up going up & down the hill country in my neck of the woods! Or is that my Giddy-Up! :thumb

Ciao, HSV-Phil

I've run Battlax T30's (3500miles), PR4 GT's (4000 miles) Angel GT A Spec (4500miles) and now I'm running the Angel GT2 A spec.
Whatever you run, make sure they are designed for a heavy sport bike. I've never heard of anyone running the Conti Roadattack or Metzler Road Tech tires on this machine, they aren't designed for a bike this heavy.
I've heard great things about the RSIII's but haven't tried them yet. I consider myself a "spirited" rider.

EDIT...I did see someone on the K1600 forums who ran both the Conti Road attack and the Road Tech tires with poor results.

Last edited:
10500 miles on tires great tires started out they didn’t seem to track that well. Left Minnesota to Colorado with 6900 miles on them. I pushed them very hard in the MTNS they were great both wet and dry.

Just to be sure...

You are getting 10,500 plus miles on a rear tire on a BMW K1600?

Best I've heard or read was 6 to 7 thousand.

I replaced the OEM tire on our 2019 K1600GT Sport at 5,431 miles, all of which were two up with side bags, trunk and tank bag.

It was just at the wear bar so I may have gotten another 5 or 6 hundred miles. Leaving on a 1,500 mile trip, it had to be replaced.

I now have a set of Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs. Got them for a reasonable price and got a $75 rebate.

Hopefully they will give me 6 to 7 thousand miles.

Dunlop what and Michelin what?

Good question - Having ridden a Harley for years, I was not familiar with either and could not quote a model/number. I wound up going with Michelin P4 because of dual compound. I was in Denver CO at the time, and on my way back to NYC.

I've run both the Dunlop and Michelin.
I like the way the Dunlops perform much better.
I will be buying another set before their $40 rebate expires end of this month.
As a side note: I run them at 44/44.

Joe

Thanks for the information. The menfolk back home would agree with you. I went with the Michelins because of the dual compound. I had 3000 miles of state to state riding to get back east. The dealer in Denver said the harder compound at the center of the tire would be better for this type of riding. I'm waiting to see what happens...

I’m currently Murdo SD with a fried battery awaiting my new one tomorrow, looked at the tires this mornin and they probably have another 1000 miles left on them b4 there to the wear marks.

I will probably replace wth ContiRoadAttack 3 GT JUST because I want to try them

That’s my 2 cents

Thanks for the 2 cents - I'm still learning this stuff. I always run Dunlops on my Harley. This is a totally different experience.

Have a new 1600 grand america. First set were bridgstone battalax 3600 mi. So the next set are dunlop roadsmart 3 About$ 35.00 less than the Michlin. they work real well wet or dry. The C.H.P. use the dunlop now at my shop.I have about 3500 miles on my roadsmarts and think i can get 6-7ooo miles. Hope this helps Monte

Thanks Monte. After riding Harleys for the last eight years, I was very surprised when the wear marks surfaced on the 1600's front tire (Bridgestone Battalax) at about 7500 miles. I didn't realize/know how fast the bike went through tires. I know Dunlop makes a dual compound but the shop in Denver did not have it in stock, so I went for the Michelins.

I just installed a new Dunlop RoadSmart III on the front. I've been happy with this set's performance; rear still has a couple thousand to go. No cupping on the front; it just wore down. I do pull a camper at times, and I assume it requires more effort to control my get-up going up & down the hill country in my neck of the woods! Or is that my Giddy-Up! :thumb

I read the reviews on the Dunlop RoadSmart III and will give them a turn the next time I replace tires.
Thanks.

Good question - Having ridden a Harley for years, I was not familiar with either and could not quote a model/number. I wound up going with Michelin P4 because of dual compound. I was in Denver CO at the time, and on my way back to NYC.

Just a heads up, the "regular" PR4 tires aren't designed for the heavy K16, they make the GT version that will be the right fit. Hopefully the dealership didn't get you the wrong tire.
Tires for this machine are very specific and some installers don't understand that this bike is very heavy and has a TON of torque which is hard on tires. Put a regular sidewall tire on this bike and you'll have issues.
Michelin PR4 GT, Pirelli Angel GT (1 or 2) A spec, Dunlop RoadSmart III are the top performers for this machine.

Just a heads up, the "regular" PR4 tires aren't designed for the heavy K16, they make the GT version that will be the right fit. Hopefully the dealership didn't get you the wrong tire.
Tires for this machine are very specific and some installers don't understand that this bike is very heavy and has a TON of torque which is hard on tires. Put a regular sidewall tire on this bike and you'll have issues.
Michelin PR4 GT, Pirelli Angel GT (1 or 2) A spec, Dunlop RoadSmart III are the top performers for this machine.

I so appreciate the info. Denver BMW installed the correct tires - PR4 GT - I went back to the invoice to check. I'm learning.
Thanks so much!

As a side note: I run them at 44/44. Joe

Joe,

I run the fronts on our K1200RS/K1200GT/R1200RS at 40 psi. The Owners Manual recommends 36 psi.

Running the higher pressure, I get better wear and consequently longer mileage.

Our K1600GTS' Owners Manual calls for 42 psi front and back.

Are you getting better mileage/wear running the higher pressures?

Thanks.

Bump

Replacing tires for a clubmate on a K16GT... leaning towards Dunlop Roadsmart III’s.
What’s latest opinions?

Dunlop Roadsmart IVs

Looking at the Dunlop web site and entering the make and model - BMW K1600 GT - the message comes back saying the RS IVs will not fit a K16.

Looking at the fitment chart, it says there is a model RS IV that will fit a K16.

I called and left a message at Dunlop and got a call back from Dave.

For technical and legal reasons the web site has not been up dated.

Yes, there is a RS IV that will fit a BMW K16, a 190/55 ZR 17 75W.

Past Dunlop RS III experience:

I got 7,679 miles on the first set of RS IIIs on our 2019 K1600GT Sport. They weren't terribly worn but didn't have enough miles to make an up coming trip.

The second set of RS IIIs gave us 6,521 miles. I lost about 1,000 to 1,500 miles on that set, again due to a 2,000 mile up coming trip.

The third set now has 5,544 miles on them and is looking quite good. Another 1,500 looks very possible.

My wife and I are average weight and though I do travel at elevated speeds, I'm not a street racer.

Tire wear has been pretty even side to side on the fronts with most rear wear right down the middle.

I ride two up 99.99% of the time with side bags, trunk and tank bag with a took kit under the Russell Day Long saddle. 80% of our riding if off the freeway.

Prior to the Dunlop tires I ran Metzelers. I was always pleased with their handling on our 2002 K1200RS and our past 2008 K1200GT.

Dunlop had several rebates going about the time I need tires so I went with the Dunlops.

I now have a couple of coupons for a $50 rebate on Dunlops (part of the Texas BMW MOA Getaway attendee package) and will probably go with the RS IVs in December when I figure the K16 will need new patti-paws.

Back