• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Well, Now it is broken in properly!

PoorUB

Riding my 2018 R1200RT on a trip in Wyoming. Stopped at a tourist trap, gravel driveway. When we got on and I started to let out the clutch, down we went! First thing my wife said after I got it back up on two wheels was, "Well, you finally dropped it and got that out of the way. It is broken in properly now!" I'm not even certain why it went over. There were some big rocks, maybe I caught the side of a tire on one.

I put engine guards on it and it looks like they saved any important from damage. I didn't see any scuffs on the panier.

Now I have can relax and ride it!

I've heard it said "there are those that have dropped their bikes and the others that will drop their bikes" It happens to all of us at some point.

Jay

Right there with you, helmet, not bike this time. I took my first long distance motorcycle ride in 1996, Maine to Myrtle Beach for bike week. My then girlfriend (now wife) surprised me with a brand new helmet for the ride. After leaving the house I stopped at the gas station and promptly knocked it to the ground right on the face shield, I was heart broken. I swore that would never happen again and for 23 years it did not, until last night. Moving things around in the garage, I put my helmet on the back of my popup after cleaning and waxing, I then proceeded to the front of the camper and picked up the tongue up to move the camper out into the center of the garage, I watched as my relatively new 3 year old pristine helmet slid down the length of the camper disappearing over the edge and crunch.

Yes, now just relax and ride. What color is your '18? What kind of mileage are you getting two up?

Glad the Illium bars worked !!!

did that the other day- Illium bars paid for themselves!! I'm paying for the chiropractor.

I am glad to know the Illium Bars worked....
I did not have them on my 2016 RT a couple years ago, returning from a trip west, staying over night at a hotel in Illinois, parked on side stand, strong storm and winds, next morning the bike
had blown over... That fall cost over $2400 to repair....
So now I have the Illium Bars on....hopefully I will never have an occasion to test them....!!!!!! Very glad to know they work !!!!!!

I am glad to know the Illium Bars worked....
I did not have them on my 2016 RT a couple years ago, returning from a trip west, staying over night at a hotel in Illinois, parked on side stand, strong storm and winds, next morning the bike
had blown over... That fall cost over $2400 to repair....
So now I have the Illium Bars on....hopefully I will never have an occasion to test them....!!!!!! Very glad to know they work !!!!!!

blew over on the SIDEstand? wow...I once parked on centerstand with cover and thought it'd be down in the AM (cape Hatteras I think)..I wonder which is more stable? (whoops- sorry for Hijack OP)

Yes, now just relax and ride. What color is your '18? What kind of mileage are you getting two up?

It is the highly desired Mars red. According to the computer on the bike I am getting 42 MPG over all. Keep in mind when by myself I ride like and idiot! Also we just ran back from Sheridan WY, to Fargo, running 85-90 MPH on the interstate, pulling a Unigo trailer. The instant MPG was showing 35-37 MPG running that speed.

Murphy's Law for Motorcycles:
Murphy’s Law - Clause 1: It’s a fact of life that a motorcycle cannot fall over without an audience. The odds of a motorcycle falling over are directly proportional to the number of people watching and the rider’s ego. If the motorcycle is new and expensive then the chances of this happening are even greater.

Gravel driveway got me last summer during a ride in Nova Scotia. Stopped on the side of the road at an abandoned building and parked on a gravel driveway. Problem was, the gravel was too loose and as I was walking back to the bike I watched it tip over in slow motion. This being a first, out comes youtube to see how to lift it. First 2 attempts were unsuccessful. Then I realized it would be easier if I removed one pannier and top box. That worked. Pannier got scratched and the touratech crash bars did not have a scratch. I immediately ordered a larger footpad for my kickstand.

Now I have can relax and ride it!

You wish! There is no rule that says you can't drop it twice, three times, etc, but you knew that already. I'll argue it's not difficult to avoid dropping your moto if you dedicate fully to avoid situations that increase risk. You can reduce your risk greatly if you religiously adhere to smart practices, and here are a few:

1. There is no law that says you must park on low quality surfaces like gravel! Hi Jeff! Find a smart place to park even if you have to walk a little ways to get to your destination. Always look for parking spots where your exit is assured as well, so look at slope and surface quality. When you get ready to boogie from that parking spot before you ever get on the machine look at your specific plan to get out be it backing up or what have you to insure the path is clear and w/o holes or debris that could cause your foot to slip as your backing out, etc.
2. ALWAYS physically look at your side stand BEFORE leaning the bike on it. I read one story of a guy on heavy bike who did a whole x-country trip only to return home, park in his garage and forget to verify his SS was fully deployed and down it went. It's a very simple habit to develop.
3. AVOID u-turns on sloped surfaces--ride to a place where you know you can do a u-turn w/o dropping the bike! .
4. When braking to a stop, especially if you're on a downhill slope, for the last several feet use the rear brake only, and keep the steering straight always.
5. When launching from a stop focus on always giving ample revs to avoid a stall.
6. Practice low-speed handling techniques which are easy to find guides to doing if you feel you aren't up to par on those. Simply put use counter-WEIGHTING, keep revs up, slip the clutch a little, and use the rear brake only for modulating speed along w/ the clutch. Don't be afraid to use your legs as outriggers wherever you need that assurance.

I post this for riders that may be newer or resuming riding after a long hiatus and I'm sure there are many here with more experience than I who can add several other practices they subscribe to help avoid a drop.

Murphy's Law for Motorcycles:
Murphy’s Law - Clause 1: It’s a fact of life that a motorcycle cannot fall over without an audience. The odds of a motorcycle falling over are directly proportional to the number of people watching and the rider’s ego. If the motorcycle is new and expensive then the chances of this happening are even greater.

Well said.

I've dropped my 1250GSA TWICE now! Both low speed with bad clutch/brake management and both times with plenty of people watching.

The bike is tall. Coming from the forgiving world of low Harleys, I think I need a lower seat.

Austin

Back