Thread: Got Factory Saddle Bags But No Key

Got Factory Saddle Bags But No Key

I got a set of used F800ST factory bags, but the owner lost the key. The bags open but they will not mount on my bike. I tried to remove the locks from the inside, but they won't come out.
    Any suggestions on getting these bags functional?

Randy

Usually the locks are designed so that the barrels can be removed when they are in the unlocked position, using a pick through some sort of slot, maybe, to release the barrel.

It sounds like your locks are in the unlocked position, so this should be possible. Can you post a few photos of the inside of the bag where the locks are? If they are in the wrong position for this, maybe drill a small hole from the inside to give you access to the release wafer.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Thanks Anton
    Well, I finally figured out how to remove the lock cylinders from the saddlebags. Took them down to BMW only to find out that they couldn't rekey them and suggested that I buy new locks with another key. I will have to wait till Monday to find a locksmith that will hopefully be able to rekey them. I really don't want to deal with 2 keys.

I next spent @ 2 hours reassembling the lock mechanism. Not an easy task. So now I have one bag done and one more to reassemble. Word of advice: NEVER DISASSEMBLE SADDLEBAG LOCKS! If you do you will regret it.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyjaco View Post
    Thanks Anton
    Well, I finally figured out how to remove the lock cylinders from the saddlebags. Took them down to BMW only to find out that they couldn't rekey them and suggested that I buy new locks with another key. I will have to wait till Monday to find a locksmith that will hopefully be able to rekey them.
    I rekey these locks all the time, and I bet a lot of other techs do also. Certainly any locksmith will at least be able to rearrange the wafers you have to get them working.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Keep in mind you really only need one or two tumblers. Nobody is going to take the time to pick the locks. They will assume they are locked or not
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    How about sending them to Anton? It’s always easier to have experienced people work on your equipment.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I may just do that. First I will try a local locksmith.

I know that this is an old thread, but I had to rekey the hard way by disassembling the lock mechanism. It was nearly a 2-day job. Hopefully, this will help someone else deal with the problem in an easier way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_vK982RKA

Randy