Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dealership service question

Dealership service question

If you take your bike in for an oil change and maintenance check, does the tech usually take the bike for a short ride to make sure everything is OK with the bike? I took mine in for an oil change and once over late on a Saturday afternoon just before closing for a Monday AM appointment. When I picked the bike up, I checked the day trip and it had .1 miles on it. I can't imagine he would zero that out after servicing the bike.

I am accustomed to having the mechanic take the bike for a short spin just to make sure everything is working properly.
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2018 R1200 RT- 18K miles and counting

I would think it depends on what they did. An oil change? Nope. If you specifically asked for an ops check, then yes.

From a business perspective, for a busy shop, a mandatory ride after every job would add a lot overhead labor which would end up being passed on to us. I mean, if they did the brakes, removed the wheels (maybe), clutches, stuff like that, yeah I would expect it but not for just an oil change or other similar minor service.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Service

In a word, depends. I don't remember ever seeing a check off sheet for just an oil change. If there is such a thing it could be dealer or BMW generated and may or may not have a short test ride listed on it.
    Further, just because BMW says to do something on their check off list doesn't mean that it gets done. As an example, the assembly and pre-delivery list calls for filling the fuel tank and doing a test ride. At one of the dealerships that I worked at this task was interpreted as: stealing about (+or-) a gallon of gas out of a bike that was in for service/repair. Run it up and down the street and put it aside for the new owner to pick up. Of course, the new owner was advised to run it up the street and fill the tank before going out for a ride!
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    At one of the dealerships that I worked at this task was interpreted as: stealing about (+or-) a gallon of gas out of a bike that was in for service/repair...

I'll have to remember to top the bike off right before bringing it in for service.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

AFAIK a test ride is still part of the service checklist for every BMW Service or BMW Inspection.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Don't be afraid to ask your service advisor ...
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Dealership service question

In examining the maintenance scheduled checklists for the K52 there is a line item “Final inspection and check of roadworthiness” on the 600 mile, Annual and 6K/12K mile sheets.

Most would interpret this to imply a post-procedure test ride.

For an oil change? Not necessary...just start it up and check for leaks.

For a “maintenance check” (whatever that is) I’d ride the bike to test items like the brakes, suspension, clutch, throttle response, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The "oil change" you mention is something you are inventing, so you are free to invent the rules for it.

The 6k/12k/annual inspections are the only things BMW thinks the bike actually needs, and as you say they have a roadworthiness check. Remember, this is aimed at dealership service, where the person riding your bike is more likely to notice something amiss. It's pretty irrelevant for the DIY owner because the bike will feel the way it always does... even if something is wrong. Within the last few weeks I noticed a loose shift linkage, a disintegrated front shock bushing, and a loose sidestand bracket... all of which the owners had no idea about because they were used to their bikes. The test ride isn't so much about checking your work as it is checking the overall behavior of the bike with an experienced and unbiased eye.

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
    In examining the maintenance scheduled checklists for the K52 there is a line item “Final inspection and check of roadworthiness” on the 600 mile, Annual and 6K/12K mile sheets.

Most would interpret this to imply a post-procedure test ride.

For an oil change? Not necessary...just start it up and check for leaks.

For a “maintenance check” (whatever that is) I’d ride the bike to test items like the brakes, suspension, clutch, throttle response, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Thanks Anton.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I would think it depends on what they did. An oil change? Nope. If you specifically asked for an ops check, then yes.

From a business perspective, for a busy shop, a mandatory ride after every job would add a lot overhead labor which would end up being passed on to us. I mean, if they did the brakes, removed the wheels (maybe), clutches, stuff like that, yeah I would expect it but not for just an oil change or other similar minor service.
    I specifically asked for a general look over as I was leaving on a 2,600 mile trip. After I left the dealership and was home I noticed that they didn't even reset the computer service interval. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I think I have a right to be pissed when the service costs $190.00 and they did a half assed job. I think a GS-911 is in my future and possibly another dealership.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I specifically asked for a general look over as I was leaving on a 2,600 mile trip. After I left the dealership and was home I noticed that they didn't even reset the computer service interval. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I think I have a right to be pissed when the service costs $190.00 and they did a half assed job. I think a GS-911 is in my future and possibly another dealership.
    It's not just you
    A local dealership did that to me and and I asked why. They responded that I didn't ask for the bike to be hooked up to the BMW computer. I asked "has anyone wanted service without the minder reset"?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

capture.jpg

The RepROM lists setting the service date and mileage as part of every scheduled maintenance checklist. I wonder what else they skipped.

If not at a scheduled interval, like an early oil change, just a general pre-trip walk-around where some items were not serviced, they might have had some justification for not resetting the computer.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    capture.jpg

The RepROM lists setting the service date and mileage as part of every scheduled maintenance checklist. I wonder what else they skipped.

If not at a scheduled interval, like an early oil change, just a general pre-trip walk-around where some items were not serviced, they might have had some justification for not resetting the computer.
    It was a scheduled oil change within 100 miles of the service life. I gave feedback to the BMW service email that wasn't very good.Hopefully this corrects the issue in the future.

At my dealer they always take it for a ride after any work done...oil change included. As they should imo

It was a scheduled oil change within 100 miles of the service life. I gave feedback to the BMW service email that wasn't very good.Hopefully this corrects the issue in the future.
    "I gave feedback to the BMW service email " wow- I've been hoping to get a service email to vent a few dealer concerns I have and have NEVER gotten one. Lucky you on that part of the experience.