• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should the MOA forum introduce a new "Politics and Motorcycling" sub-forum?

Should MOA forum add new "Politics & Motorcycling" sub-forum?

• MOA forum should add "Politics & Motorcycling" sub-forum

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • MOA forum should remain as it is without new sub-forum

Votes: 65 70.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters
So this exercise is this something like the Abilene Paradox reasoning...

You learn something every day around here. :thumb

For those who want a political sub forum in their German machines internet board, there's always PARF in Pelican Parts.

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days, trying to get my head around all the issues and comments, as well as consider the spirit and intent of the OP.

From the definition of Politics, being the study and art of government, I think what is being suggested and what has been practiced here, and causing so much angst, inflammatory rhetoric, hatred and animosity, is far from Political. It seems more the incendiary nature of Ideology, Philosophy, and personal-world-views as the real guilty party here.

Maybe a better approach and title might be "Legislative Affairs", focusing not on the Moral Imperatives we hold so near and dear, but rather current and active legislation that has the imminent potential to upset all of our apple carts. But this has already been formalized by the American Motorcycle Association. For those not AMA members, it might prove useful to them and our membership to become informed, but the task is large and takes time, effort, and commitment to keep the thread accurate and timely. It might best be served by an individual or group of individuals, acting as editors, that want to commit to that process and remain dedicated to that process for the long haul. I think that would take a very special person with the correct blend of skills and abilities, to make it work. As an example, the "Mika and the Morning Reads' thread, could serve as a blueprint, on how to approach the task.

Yeah, I know. Who wants that job?:dunno

OTOH, if you really want to duke it out in the Philosophy arena, have at it. I wish you good luck.

Me, I just like BMW motorcycles, and I like to ride them.

What a crock for those who don't want this sub-forum. Political comments happen regularly in all of the forums here and I agree they shouldn't and yet here is the perfect place to confine this sort of discussion to. For the lousy hard drive space required to dedicate to this it's just stupid to not have this space available for this type of commentary. If YOU don't want to participate in one dedicated to politics YOU don't have to. The poll should have been confined to those who are in favor of this, not to those that aren't. Again, if YOU don't want to participate you don't have to.

What a crock for those who don't want this sub-forum. Political comments happen regularly in all of the forums here and I agree they shouldn't and yet here is the perfect place to confine this sort of discussion to. For the lousy hard drive space required to dedicate to this it's just stupid to not have this space available for this type of commentary. If YOU don't want to participate in one dedicated to politics YOU don't have to. The poll should have been confined to those who are in favor of this, not to those that aren't. Again, if YOU don't want to participate you don't have to.

A one-sided poll :scratch
OM

The solution to pollution is dilution. And politics on this forum is pollution. And a "crock".

"What a crock for those who don't want this sub-forum. Political comments happen regularly in all of the forums here and I agree they shouldn't and yet here is the perfect place to confine this sort of discussion to. For the lousy hard drive space required to dedicate to this it's just stupid to not have this space available for this type of commentary. If YOU don't want to participate in one dedicated to politics YOU don't have to. "

I agree here !

No.
As a nearly 20 year MOA member, moderator of other BMW forums, volunteer at many MOA events, and life long forum participant I've learned one thing:

Politics suck.

I really don't want to know who's a feminist, a communist, an anarchist, a MAGA hat wearer, or a "snowflake"
I just don't want to add that level of interaction between people here.

Everyone has a political opinion.

All a political sub-forum does is allow people the ability to say things behind the keyboard that they might know better than to say at the campfire.

Keyboard Commandos already have enough outlets...

Tell me all about your viscosity, your coefficients of friction, your synthetics and your dinosaurs... but please... keep your politics to your self..

-Ken Springhetti

All a political sub-forum does is allow people the ability to say things behind the keyboard that they might know better than to say at the campfire.

Especially the ones who use silly handles and fear to reveal their real identities in a sig line or anywhere else.

Appears the current policy is best considering what some wish to do to their imaginary enemies. Politics has to be compartmentalized. Containerized. Never was incendiary as it is today. Occasionally you may have a chance to talk about it with someone not inclined to throw a cocktail through the front window. Now back to my latest KRS front windscreen project.

Especially the ones who use silly handles and fear to reveal their real identities in a sig line or anywhere else.

It's part of the fun. I don't think I have every heard of anyone hiding behind their screen name. I am much more irritated by blocked telephone calls (don't answer them but still had to go to the phone). I think the origins (popularity) may date back to the days of CB radio.....CB radio (at its peak) was so much fun.

For your dining and dancing pleasure-

As far as usernames

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?31155-Hiding-Behind-Your-User-Name

For Avatars-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?31104-Why-do-you-have-the-Avatar-that-you-do

Personally, when I hear the complaints about screen names, I first think of the "Travel from state to state-no papers" scene from The Hunt for Red October-

The second thing I think of is......Waddaya gonna need to prove who you say you are?....I got it! Avatar must be a passport picture :eek

Enjoy a couple of related threads from the past.

Omega Man :D

No, Please No!

I just joined the club and would hate to see politics or religion creep into the forum. Just motorbikes and riding, thank you!

Just a reminder, because it looks like some people think that they would get a "Jo Mamma" style free-for-all sub-forum, like over on advrider.com.

NOTE: This sub-forum "Politics & Motorcycling" would be for the discussion of politics, but only in a narrow focus of how it affects motorcycling, e.g. riders, rider clubs, dealers, vendors, manufacturers, etc.. It would not be a forum to discuss any other type of politics. This was explained in the opening post.

(BTW, as I've stated several times in this thread, I don't want politics or religion discussed on this forum, no matter how limited.)

Back