View Poll Results: Should MOA forum add new "Politics & Motorcycling" sub-forum?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • MOA forum should add "Politics & Motorcycling" sub-forum

10 10.99%
  • MOA forum should remain as it is without new sub-forum

64 70.33%
  • I don't care

17 18.68%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should the MOA forum introduce a new "Politics and Motorcycling" sub-forum?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The only way I could possibly support a political subforum would be with a requirement that posters on the forum use their real names instead of cute handles to hide behind. Having people actually know who posted nonsense would go a long ways toward limiting it. As a general rule I tend to disregard folks who are afraid to identify themselves.

I am Ronald Prior....I live in Ohio, and i am not afraid of nor ashamed of anything i say. If i do put my foot in my mouth....as i sometimes do.....I will not only admit it, I will apologize for it. The only reason my user name is my membership number and not my [name] it because when i first logged on/joined in.....my first name had already been taken..........at least I think that's what it said.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I am Ronald Prior....I live in Ohio, and i am not afraid of nor ashamed of anything i say. If i do put my foot in my mouth....as i sometimes do.....I will not only admit it, I will apologize for it. The only reason my user name is my membership number and not my [name] it because when i first logged on/joined in.....my first name had already been taken..........at least I think that's what it said.
    Ron, you always identify yourself in the post. That makes it not an issue. But we have hundreds that don't.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I voted to keep it as it is, even though I cause the moderators to spew coffee out their nostrils occasionally with some of my comments. I really mean no harm, it is just that I am right, and everyone else is wrong if you don't agree with me . I think the forum is good just the way it is now, and the mods do a great job (one that I wouldn't want). This is a motorcycle forum, lets keep it that way. Gail
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    I voted to keep it as it is, even though I cause the moderators to spew coffee out their nostrils occasionally with some of my comments. I really mean no harm, it is just that I am right, and everyone else is wrong if you don't agree with me . I think the forum is good just the way it is now, and the mods do a great job (one that I wouldn't want). This is a motorcycle forum, lets keep it that way. Gail
    well we must have many similar opinions because I am right too and everyone else is wrong if they don't agree with me as well: In fact I'll bet there are many of us here- clearly a politics forum would not be a problem with all that kumbuyah and similarity of correct opinions
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA RIGHT SURE

I think, to be fair, the "I don't care" votes need to be lumped into the "Add new politics sub-forum" votes. With that said, and with so few votes, it looks like about 50 to 20.

Basically, not enough votes to draw any conclusions yet.
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Quote Originally Posted by 75450 View Post
    I think, to be fair, the "I don't care" votes need to be lumped into the "Add new politics sub-forum" votes.
    I don't think that's the way polling works...to put their votes in one category or the other changes their vote. Maybe put half the votes in the two other categories...but that's never done either. For those that had hard opinions, it's pretty clear where things are headed. IMO.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I don't think that's the way polling works...to put their votes in one category or the other changes their vote. Maybe put half the votes in the two other categories...but that's never done either. For those that had hard opinions, it's pretty clear where things are headed. IMO.
    I was trying to be fair, maybe too fair, to the folks who want the new sub-forum. I certainly don't want the new sub-forum.
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I was trying to be fair, maybe too fair, to the folks who want the new sub-forum. I certainly don't want the new sub-forum.
    Ok.......... I have to ask........... if you donít want the sub forum- why the poll?

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Ok.......... I have to ask........... if you don’t want the sub forum- why the poll?

OM
    I explained that in the opening post. Color me curious.
    Last edited by 75450; 07-17-2019 at 03:31 AM.
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Question Abilene Paradox

So this exercise is this something like the Abilene Paradox reasoning that I had drummed into me a bunch of years ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

Wayne Koppa
    #71,449
    Grayling (it sure is hot) Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by wkoppa View Post
    So this exercise is this something like the Abilene Paradox reasoning...
    You learn something every day around here.

For those who want a political sub forum in their German machines internet board, there's always PARF in Pelican Parts.
    Rinty

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days, trying to get my head around all the issues and comments, as well as consider the spirit and intent of the OP.

From the definition of Politics, being the study and art of government, I think what is being suggested and what has been practiced here, and causing so much angst, inflammatory rhetoric, hatred and animosity, is far from Political. It seems more the incendiary nature of Ideology, Philosophy, and personal-world-views as the real guilty party here.

Maybe a better approach and title might be "Legislative Affairs", focusing not on the Moral Imperatives we hold so near and dear, but rather current and active legislation that has the imminent potential to upset all of our apple carts. But this has already been formalized by the American Motorcycle Association. For those not AMA members, it might prove useful to them and our membership to become informed, but the task is large and takes time, effort, and commitment to keep the thread accurate and timely. It might best be served by an individual or group of individuals, acting as editors, that want to commit to that process and remain dedicated to that process for the long haul. I think that would take a very special person with the correct blend of skills and abilities, to make it work. As an example, the "Mika and the Morning Reads' thread, could serve as a blueprint, on how to approach the task.

Yeah, I know. Who wants that job?

OTOH, if you really want to duke it out in the Philosophy arena, have at it. I wish you good luck.

Me, I just like BMW motorcycles, and I like to ride them.
    John
    Defiance, MO
    96 BMW R1100GS; 17 KTM 350 EXC-F

I think, to be fair, the "I don't care" votes need to be lumped into the "Add new politics sub-forum" votes.
    Nope. Given a yes or no vote I would say no vs I don't care. My gun comment was made in jest.

What a crock for those who don't want this sub-forum. Political comments happen regularly in all of the forums here and I agree they shouldn't and yet here is the perfect place to confine this sort of discussion to. For the lousy hard drive space required to dedicate to this it's just stupid to not have this space available for this type of commentary. If YOU don't want to participate in one dedicated to politics YOU don't have to. The poll should have been confined to those who are in favor of this, not to those that aren't. Again, if YOU don't want to participate you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    The poll should have been confined to those who are in favor of this, not to those that aren't.
    That makes no sense.

Please explain how YOU would have designed the poll.
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT