• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Should the MOA forum introduce a new "Politics and Motorcycling" sub-forum?

Should MOA forum add new "Politics & Motorcycling" sub-forum?

• MOA forum should add "Politics & Motorcycling" sub-forum

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • MOA forum should remain as it is without new sub-forum

Votes: 65 70.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

NOTE: This is not a BMW MOA sanctioned poll!!

Personally, I don't want to see ANY politics on this forum. But, trying to be open-minded, I wonder how people feel about this limited introduction of politics.

Let's see if this poll can be taken without any childish arguments, for if we enter into that sort of behavior just discussing the possibility of a political sub-forum, I fear that the old-timers who witnessed its introduction (and failure) in past years are correct -- it should not be part of the MOA forum.

BTW, for us newbies, could some of the old-timers chime in with more info about past attempts. The only explanations I've seen are simple "It didn't work" reasons.

(This topic was brought up in this thread: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?95388-The-motorcycle-community)

NOTE: This sub-forum "Politics & Motorcycling" would be for the discussion of politics, but only in a narrow focus of how it affects motorcycling, e.g. riders, rider clubs, dealers, vendors, manufacturers, etc.. It would not be a forum to discuss any other type of politics.

Last edited:
I don't remember the details as I never really visited the incarnations of the attempts at a more open area. I seem to recall that it was tried once and there was a lot of fighting, name calling, hostility. That was shut down. Then a group of people lobbied to make another attempt...IIRC they got buy-in from the Board. This new group said they would police things, run things, etc. So the new one was created...Tavern on the Screen as I recall. After some amount of time, the group that wanted it threw up their hands as it was too out of control, too much time to monitor, etc. So the requestors said they wanted it closed. And it was. That last iteration was in 2009.

I have voted in the negative. But if you insist on establishing a connection to such discussions please position the link to that subforum in the club section, and make the link point to the JoMama subforum over on ADVRider, the MOA Faceplant page, or other location where such discussions are the norm.

I would hate to see political discussions start up anywhere in the MOA forums. There are plenty of other places on the web where one can indulge that urge. I’m here for the tech info, gear info, ride and riding info, and the camaraderie.

Best,
DeVern

I have voted in the negative. But if you insist on establishing a connection to such discussions please position the link to that subforum in the club section, and make the link point to the JoMama subforum over on ADVRider, the MOA Faceplant page, or other location where such discussions are the norm.

I would hate to see political discussions start up anywhere in the MOA forums. There are plenty of other places on the web where one can indulge that urge. I’m here for the tech info, gear info, ride and riding info, and the camaraderie.

Best,
DeVern
I am not familiar with those web sites/locations/discussions. Please go ahead and put those links in here if you think it will help . . .

NOTE: This sub-forum "Politics & Motorcycling" (or whatever the admins want to call it if it were to be added) would be for the discussion of politics, but only in a narrow focus of how it affects motorcycling, e.g. riders, dealers, manufacturers, etc.. It would not be a forum to discuss any other type of politics.

Best,
DeVern
I hope that most of us feel the same way. Maybe this poll will show that . . . .

Agreed.

There are plenty of places that divide us. I treasure this forum because it unites us.

Well, except for the oil threads . . .

Voni
sMiling

I am not familiar with those web sites/locations/discussions. Please go ahead and put those links in here if you think it will help . . .

ADV - https://advrider.com/ (must register)

MOA Facebonk - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2278569378/

Here's the About page for the facebook page:

Welcome to the Facebook Group for the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America… the MOA. For BMW motorcycle enthusiasts, the MOA means thousands of new friends and an endless number of resources for your ride. Whether you need tech advice, ride planning or simply to connect socially with BMW motorcycle riders, please join us at www.bmwmoa.org

The rules for the group are fairly standard. Be polite, avoid divisive topics and enjoy some BMW motorcycle related conversations with your friends. The moderators will take action on anything that is not in the best interest of the group. If you need more specifics, visit our forum guidelines: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_postingguidelines.

So, technically, it's the same the MOA regular forum.

...I fear that the old-timers who witnessed its introduction (and failure) in past years are correct -- it should not be part of the MOA forum.

BTW, for us newbies, could some of the old-timers chime in with more info about past attempts. The only explanations I've seen are simple "It didn't work" reasons.

As Forum Liaison back in the day, I had a front-row seat for both the "Don't go there" forum, and the "Tavern on the Screen."

Here is the fact: people pay $50 per year for the right to post here. Non-members can read many of the forums for free, but they can't post.

With that $50 comes a couple of expectations:

1) A level of decorum that you don't always see in "free" forums

2) A level of service with regard to moderation.

On point 2, you simply would not believe what happens in the background, the endless private messages complaining about this thing or that, along with the expectation for the volunteer moderator to do something about it. It truly is a total buzz kill for our treasured volunteers.

Trust me, it may seem reasonable to expect all participants to be adults in discussions like these, but there are many MANY childish people who either troll to feed their narcissism or whine incessantly when they are offended.

I hope this answers your questions.

Ian

I voted for the sub-forum. I'm an admin on one forum, a moderator on another and have been a moderator on two other forums. I haven't seen where that kind of forum area hurt anything. In fact, it was kind of handy. If a discussion started getting into politics, then I'd just move the relevant posts over to that open area. As for what was said there, I didn't police it at all.

On forums where that kind of area exists and I'm not an admin/moderator, I simply ignore the area. Just because it exists, doesn't mean I have to go there.

Chris

In fact, it was kind of handy. If a discussion started getting into politics, then I'd just move the relevant posts over to that open area.

I hadn't thought of this before I voted. This seems to me to be a very good reason to open one. I would have no trouble at allavoiding such a pit of despair. 8-D

It would also give those with a desire to dive into that rabbit hole a place to do it without bothering those of us that don't.

More of a confession than an opinion: I can’t keep away from such forums and can’t keep my mouth shut/ opinions to myself- ie: I usually “take the bait”. So while a part of me would enjoy the bloodsport of political “discussion” [LOL.. discussion!!!] another part of me knows the futility of such forums and the impossibility of moderation (pun intended). I kind of like not knowing of what ilk my fellow BMW riders are- I may be pleasantly surprised, I may be disappointed frankly, I think I’d rather be blissfully ignorant of how you lean! SO, though a part of me doesn’t care... the me who knows me better votes no.

Best,
DeVern

I concur. Regardless of your politics, this is not the forum. We get bombarded with unsolicited political views way too much and would not like to see that start to happen here. One of the few places were a diverse group of people, with a common interest can come and actually get along (OK, for the most part).

I concur. Regardless of your politics, this is not the forum. We get bombarded with unsolicited political views way too much and would not like to see that start to happen here. One of the few places were a diverse group of people, with a common interest can come and actually get along (OK, for the most part).
Let me play devil's advocate here . . . You do realize that the "proposal" is to have political discussion in a sub-forum only, not across the board. And also it would be limited to the narrow focus of politics and its affect on motorcycling. Mind you, I'm not in favor of this "proposal" but I want to make sure that you understand it. Theoretically, if you don't go to that sub-forum, you would never see political discussion of any kind.

NOTE: This sub-forum "Politics & Motorcycling" (or whatever the admins want to call it if it were to be added) would be for the discussion of politics, but only in a narrow focus of how it affects motorcycling, e.g. riders, dealers, manufacturers, etc.. It would not be a forum to discuss any other type of politics.

Well, now that you've made it clear regarding "the politics of Motorcycling," I say, Okay! See what comes up along those lines. Good Luck to the Moderator(s)!

My favorite Political topic is thus: Lane-Splitting Should be the Default in the USA; Not just in Calif! :banghead

We've done the LS thing all across Europe; we've utilized it to our benefit in southern Cal. The cagers just need to get used to it, over time that is!!!

100% guaranteed to fail

I can't think of a better way to drive even more people from the Forum and the MOA.

A very bad idea. It was tried before on two occasions and became divisive and created hard feelings. Please do not do it.

Well, now that you've made it clear regarding "the politics of Motorcycling," I say, Okay! See what comes up along those lines. Good Luck to the Moderator(s)!

My favorite Political topic is thus: Lane-Splitting Should be the Default in the USA; Not just in Calif! :banghead

We've done the LS thing all across Europe; we've utilized it to our benefit in southern Cal. The cagers just need to get used to it, over time that is!!!

Lane splitting is a discussion; the politics are another matter: nanny state, politicians, regulation, Republican/Democrat, make lanesplitting great again, motorcyclists lives matter , Trump was backed by bikers for Trump, Pelosi lives in a LS state....it’s all fun and games till someone loses an eye. The thing a politics of motorcycling seeks to avoid is the very thing it invites.

Back