• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT Fuel Injector upgrade

oldcarman

I've read a couple articles that say the fuel injectors can be upgraded to improve performance and reduce vibration. Any recommendations? Thanks, oldcarman jim

I've read a couple articles that say the fuel injectors can be upgraded to improve performance and reduce vibration. Any recommendations? Thanks, oldcarman jim

I upgraded mine almost a year ago. I jokingly say that my R1100RT has turned into my second K Bike (so smooth), or at least a soooo much smoother ride with the switch to the new injectors. :thumb

I have found Boxer Nirvana on my 96 R1100GS with the following recipe:

1. tills.de injector upgrade.
2. Af-Xeid controller from Beemer Boneyard. My boxer runs way better when slightly rich.
3. Learn to really nail the valve clearance settings.
4. Learn to do a proper Throttle Body Sync.

Heaven!

1996 R1100RT Fuel Injector Upgrade

If I understand correct you both upgraded to the R1200, 4 nozzle injector, EV14 injector. I did find this upgrade on the Euro MotoElectrics. It sounds great but I have cruise control installed on my R1100RT and the cable bracket attaches to the left side throttle body so I don't think it will work with the cruise. I did read that the EV6 injector, also 4 nozzle, from the 2004 R1100S might be a possible plug and play upgrade. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks, oldcarman jim

Attachments

• 20190626_154254_resized B.jpg
    20190626_154254_resized B.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 217
I upgraded mine almost a year ago. I jokingly say that my R1100RT has turned into my second K Bike (so smooth), or at least a soooo much smoother ride with the switch to the new injectors. :thumb

Mine are on the way! Can't wait!

I read this and it seems like a no-brainer. I have a 1998 R1100r, and I'm all over this! (I couldn't think of any negative angle to this at all :))

Many Thanks,
Cam

If I understand correct you both upgraded to the R1200, 4 nozzle injector, EV14 injector. I did find this upgrade on the Euro MotoElectrics. It sounds great but I have cruise control installed on my R1100RT and the cable bracket attaches to the left side throttle body so I don't think it will work with the cruise. I did read that the EV6 injector, also 4 nozzle, from the 2004 R1100S might be a possible plug and play upgrade. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks, oldcarman jim
That I cannot help you with. You might email Tills directly and he might give you the info you need. He has always answered my questions, usually within 24 hours.
Good luck.

According to tills.de, the R1200 injectors and their atomization pattern is unimportant. What matters is the matching they do. They selected R1200 injectors because they are on all R1200s and are current production, have well controlled tolerances (meaning it’s not too hard for tills to match them) and reasonably priced. Don’t be fooled into buying just anyone’s unmatched R1200 injectors.

Based on the statistics and likelihood that any pair of injectors drawn from a sample are unmatched, I estimate that 10–15% of the oilheads will benefit from a 1% matched pair.

Putting any pair of r1200 injectors on an oilhead will improve performance for about 15-20 minutes until the motronic removes the extra fuel they spray at light throttle.

It’s the matching that matters, not the four nozzles. Tills secret is that they do an excellent job of matching at many duty cycles and rep rates.

Last edited:
1996 R1100RT Fuel Injector Cleaning Bosch EV1

While I research upgrading to a newer design fuel injector from the Bosch EV1, I decided I'd clean mine and reinstall them. Attached are a couple pics showing this process. Essentially I just connect the injector to a pressurized carb cleaning canister and use 12 volts to actuate the injector. This shoots pressurized cleaner through the injector, cleaning it. It also allows you to see the spray pattern. I purchased a repair connector from NAPA so I could connect 12 volts to the injector. Echlin CRB 218545 or BWD 28423 repair pig tail connector. It is important when you actuate the injector to pulse the power on off or you can damage the injector. I connected the wires to a 12 volt car battery I had in the garage. I ordered a kit with new O-rings, from Euro Motoelectrics.

Attachments

• 20190712_134813_resized B.jpg
    20190712_134813_resized B.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 20190712_142622_resized B.jpg
    20190712_142622_resized B.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 202
  • FJ 2.jpg
    FJ 2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 200
Nice DIY job cleaning the injectors. For a few more dollars than what you probably spent you could have sent them out to a professional injector cleaning service. They would be cleaned to match, new o-rings and a detailed before and after report. Like others have said, good spray pattern and matching flow rates are most important, not the number of nozzles.

Nice idea but an enclosed pushbutton would be a bit safer unless you are using a non flammable cleaner.

It’s helpful posts like this that that I remain a member of this forum. You Oilhead guys, both current owners and past who continually share your knowledge so freely to help others I find inspiring. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you guys for the knowledge and insight I’ve gained from you since buying my RT nearly 3 years ago and upon becoming a member.

This post is one that I will be saving for future reference as I’ve just added fuel injector upgrade to my “future project list”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s helpful posts like this that that I remain a member of this forum. You Oilhead guys, both current owners and past who continually share your knowledge so freely to help others I find inspiring. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you guys for the knowledge and insight I’ve gained from you since buying my RT nearly 3 years ago and upon becoming a member.

This post is one that I will be saving for future reference as I’ve just added fuel injector upgrade to my “future project list”.

I'll second that motion:thumb

Mine are on the way! Can't wait!

I read this and it seems like a no-brainer. I have a 1998 R1100r, and I'm all over this! (I couldn't think of any negative angle to this at all :))

Many Thanks,
Cam

Cam,

Which set did you buy? I assume you ordered through Tills? They offer a matched set for 120. Euro and a new set for 150. Euro. There is reference to adapters which apparently are needed for the R1150 models. Not sure if those adapters are included with either of the two sets above or if they’re needed at all.

Cam,

Which set did you buy? I assume you ordered through Tills? They offer a matched set for 120. Euro and a new set for 150. Euro. There is reference to adapters which apparently are needed for the R1150 models. Not sure if those adapters are included with either of the two sets above or if they’re needed at all.

I have a 1998 R1100r, and I did specify that in the comment section of my order, hoping Tills would ship the correct part.
The part I assumed was correct for my bike and I ordered was:
R1100x Injector Update New Injectors Article # 11540 126.05 Euro

While I research upgrading to a newer design fuel injector from the Bosch EV1, I decided I'd clean mine and reinstall them. Attached are a couple pics showing this process. Essentially I just connect the injector to a pressurized carb cleaning canister and use 12 volts to actuate the injector. This shoots pressurized cleaner through the injector, cleaning it. It also allows you to see the spray pattern. I purchased a repair connector from NAPA so I could connect 12 volts to the injector. Echlin CRB 218545 or BWD 28423 repair pig tail connector. It is important when you actuate the injector to pulse the power on off or you can damage the injector. I connected the wires to a 12 volt car battery I had in the garage. I ordered a kit with new O-rings, from Euro Motoelectrics.

You should have had a BBQ lighter mounted underneath the left side of your test bench. :laugh

I installed my injectors today. Straightforward instructions, the only trouble I had was replacing the fuel line on one side. You have to really press down hard evenly on the plastic collar to secure with the square retaining clip. Apart from that, an easy job. My R1100r had plastic covers over the injectors that do not fit anymore, with the longer injectors, but that's ok.
I'll tell you why it's ok....

Wow.... just wow

It's like a whole new bike! Smoother, noticeably more punch, I kept thinking I was in 4th gear on the highway ....
maybe this is what a 1100 oilhead should run like I don't know, I have only had my 98 for a year now, and I'm sure my original injectors were in dire need of a sonic clean.

My rating on the injector upgrade is a solid 10, bang for buck.... and you can't put a price on revealing a new punchy personality to a bike.

I installed my injectors today. Straightforward instructions, the only trouble I had was replacing the fuel line on one side. You have to really press down hard evenly on the plastic collar to secure with the square retaining clip. Apart from that, an easy job. My R1100r had plastic covers over the injectors that do not fit anymore, with the longer injectors, but that's ok.
I'll tell you why it's ok....

Wow.... just wow

It's like a whole new bike! Smoother, noticeably more punch, I kept thinking I was in 4th gear on the highway ....
maybe this is what a 1100 oilhead should run like I don't know, I have only had my 98 for a year now, and I'm sure my original injectors were in dire need of a sonic clean.

My rating on the injector upgrade is a solid 10, bang for buck.... and you can't put a price on revealing a new punchy personality to a bike.

Hey Buddy. Congrats on the upgrade! Glad to hear that it all worked out so well for you. Really looking forward to doing this to my scooter! Just fixed my electrical issue, replaced the windshield relay, completed the valve job and now I'm waiting to order and install a new set of LED headlights/fog lamps before I put the nosepiece back on. I'm also trying to find a Plug N Play AF-Xied to install in conjunction with the Tills fuel injectors. So once I get all that done, then the rest of the bike can go back together. I'm hoping for great results!

Back