Thread: SO glad they moved the Rally dates!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation SO glad they moved the Rally dates!

It's another warm July across most of the nation! 80's and 90's with humidity.

I'm so thankful that the BOD and powers that be made the decision to move the Rally dates to June.

DC
    Daryl Casey
    Frankfort, KY
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Nobody protested to the date change more than I did. For that matter, my protests about moving the rally to Father's Day weekend made the ON. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I would leave the MOA in protest, I was sure that my days attending the national rally were over! My father is getting up there in age and Father's Day is always a special time for us. 3 generations of us enjoy attending the Father's Day car shows together.

Then I went to the rally this year

And I hope they never, ever, ever move it back to July. In hindsight, it was probably a safer move for me as I wasn't crossing the southwest desert in triple digit heat both ways. Although the rains eventually pushed me back west a week after the rally ended, overall it was a much more comfortable 7000 mile vacation.

I was wrong. There are other car shows I can go to with my family. We adjusted our schedules and dealt with it.

Looking forward to Montana, in June, next year. I'll be the guy by the food truck eating crow.

Quote Originally Posted by groop1 View Post
    Nobody protested to the date change more than I did. For that matter, my protests about moving the rally to Father's Day weekend made the ON. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I would leave the MOA in protest, I was sure that my days attending the national rally were over! My father is getting up there in age and Father's Day is always a special time for us. 3 generations of us enjoy attending the Father's Day car shows together.

Then I went to the rally this year

And I hope they never, ever, ever move it back to July. In hindsight, it was probably a safer move for me as I wasn't crossing the southwest desert in triple digit heat both ways. Although the rains eventually pushed me back west a week after the rally ended, overall it was a much more comfortable 7000 mile vacation.

I was wrong. There are other car shows I can go to with my family. We adjusted our schedules and dealt with it.

Looking forward to Montana, in June, next year. I'll be the guy by the food truck eating crow.
    And wearing a light jacket I might add!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

It was a good decision, the cooler temps were a welcome relief.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

The weather was perfect. We got lucky. It had been in the 90s here in Tennessee in May. I hope the weather continues to cooperate for the future rallies. With weather you get what you get, but I guess June is statistically better than July in regards to heat. Let's hope June is not too early when we get to Great Falls.
    Roger
    2018 R1200GSA
    1992 R100GS
    1975 R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post

I'm so thankful that the BOD and powers that be made the decision to move the Rally dates to June.

DC
    When will they publish the exact dates for 2020, or have they already? I've never been to one and I'm in Denver area so it would be a great ride to get there thru Jackson/Yellowstone and I do want to go thru Flaming Gorge as well. I would ride out the very lovely and easy 40 out of Denver to Flaming Gorge.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    When will they publish the exact dates for 2020, or have they already? I've never been to one and I'm in Denver area so it would be a great ride to get there thru Jackson/Yellowstone and I do want to go thru Flaming Gorge as well. I would ride out the very lovely and easy 40 out of Denver to Flaming Gorge.
    Info here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-Falls-Montana

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I believe 2020 will be in the central region
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Great Falls, Montana - June 25-27, 2020

Fargo, North Dakota in 2021 I'm pretty sure.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

OOPS .... so sorry thought he was asking about 2021.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Beer Garden

Morning!

MAD DOG here, Beer Garden Chair.
    Well...I'm so glad that every one enjoyed the $3.00 Porter, and our selections last year, {and those "lucky " few who got to see me dance with the ventriloquist on stage}, because The MOA will not be running the BG in Great Falls. Just too much money in booze, I'm afraid. So hopefully there will be a pub crawl that I can enjoy again!

On another note, very happy to cross the Mid-west from Ct. in June and not July. But I also remember that we had hail every day in 2015, or was it '98. Either way it's not summer in MT. in June.
    See you then everyone.

MAD DOG {ret. BG Chair temp.}

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

I might be able to make that rally!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

There will be a beer garden in the typical fashion at the rally. There is a large hall that has been identified that will provide indoor seating, an outdoor area and direct access to the nightly entertainment. And, it will need volunteers for setup, decoration, cleanliness, etc. It is still our beer garden, the beer is simply sold by the fairgrounds rather than us.

The beer selection, pricing, sizes, etc are all in discussion at the moment. You can expect the same experience you’ve had at past rallies, a couple of domestics, several local micro brew selections, full strength and reasonable prices. I don’t know the final numbers yet, but I would expect $2/$3 for domestics and $4/$5 for microbrews depending on the supplier, volume estimates, etc.

The rules won’t change significantly either. If you prefer to bring in your own groceries, no one is inspecting saddlebags or looking in your cups to determine what may or may not be inside.

And, for something different and a little upbeat, we are working with a customer to “sponsor” the beer garden in some fashion. Our hope is that means some
    complimentary beverages, but it is early in that process and we are still working on the details.

More to come as we get closer, but have no fear. There will definitely be a beer garden and you will be happy with the arrangements.

Ted
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Hello Ted,

Perhaps our new official MOA insurance company will sponsor the Bier Garten ?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely