Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: SO glad they moved the Rally dates!

  1. #1
    Slow/Look/Press/ROLL! DBCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Frankfort, Kentucky
    Posts
    237

    Exclamation SO glad they moved the Rally dates!

    It's another warm July across most of the nation! 80's and 90's with humidity.

    I'm so thankful that the BOD and powers that be made the decision to move the Rally dates to June.

    DC
    Daryl Casey
    Frankfort, KY
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

  2. #2
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Still learning groop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    29
    Nobody protested to the date change more than I did. For that matter, my protests about moving the rally to Father's Day weekend made the ON. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I would leave the MOA in protest, I was sure that my days attending the national rally were over! My father is getting up there in age and Father's Day is always a special time for us. 3 generations of us enjoy attending the Father's Day car shows together.

    Then I went to the rally this year

    And I hope they never, ever, ever move it back to July. In hindsight, it was probably a safer move for me as I wasn't crossing the southwest desert in triple digit heat both ways. Although the rains eventually pushed me back west a week after the rally ended, overall it was a much more comfortable 7000 mile vacation.

    I was wrong. There are other car shows I can go to with my family. We adjusted our schedules and dealt with it.

    Looking forward to Montana, in June, next year. I'll be the guy by the food truck eating crow.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by groop1 View Post
    Nobody protested to the date change more than I did. For that matter, my protests about moving the rally to Father's Day weekend made the ON. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I would leave the MOA in protest, I was sure that my days attending the national rally were over! My father is getting up there in age and Father's Day is always a special time for us. 3 generations of us enjoy attending the Father's Day car shows together.

    Then I went to the rally this year

    And I hope they never, ever, ever move it back to July. In hindsight, it was probably a safer move for me as I wasn't crossing the southwest desert in triple digit heat both ways. Although the rains eventually pushed me back west a week after the rally ended, overall it was a much more comfortable 7000 mile vacation.

    I was wrong. There are other car shows I can go to with my family. We adjusted our schedules and dealt with it.

    Looking forward to Montana, in June, next year. I'll be the guy by the food truck eating crow.
    And wearing a light jacket I might add!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '17 R12GSA (Outlaw Spirit)

  5. #5
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    486
    It was a good decision, the cooler temps were a welcome relief.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  6. #6
    Rider vfroger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    96
    The weather was perfect. We got lucky. It had been in the 90s here in Tennessee in May. I hope the weather continues to cooperate for the future rallies. With weather you get what you get, but I guess June is statistically better than July in regards to heat. Let's hope June is not too early when we get to Great Falls.
    Roger
    2018 R1200GSA
    1992 R100GS
    1975 R90/6

  7. #7
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    451
    I rained heavily for days the week before the rally. We definitely got lucky. I mean, it was GORGEOUS!
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  8. #8
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,164
    Lebanon Forecast.jpg

    I'm sure glad the rally isn't THIS weekend . . .

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

  9. #9
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by vfroger View Post
    The weather was perfect. We got lucky. It had been in the 90s here in Tennessee in May. I hope the weather continues to cooperate for the future rallies. With weather you get what you get, but I guess June is statistically better than July in regards to heat. Let's hope June is not too early when we get to Great Falls.
    Lucky for SURE! I attended many of the Honda Hoot Rallies in Knoxville in mid-June and they were always hotter than stink! Late June ... mid-July .... it is all summer. Remember the Vermont Rally??? Temps in the 90's every day! But hopefully Great Falls even in the summer will be cooler than most places.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  10. #10
    Great Falls: Average June high = 73f. Average July high = 83f. June average low = 46f, July average low = 51f. Averages can be deceiving but this location gives some measure of comfort it won't be like Bloomsburg or Sedalia or Lima or Spokane or Salt Lake City. Camping in triple digits is not pleasant.

    https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usmt0146
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  11. #11
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Great Falls: Average June high = 73f. Average July high = 83f. June average low = 46f, July average low = 51f. Averages can be deceiving but this location gives some measure of comfort it won't be like Bloomsburg or Sedalia or Lima or Spokane or Salt Lake City. Camping in triple digits is not pleasant.

    https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usmt0146
    Not being a camper I had no problems in Bloomsburg, Lima or Salt Lake. I missed Sedalia and Spokane. Heck for me camping in 80 degree heat is not pleasant!

    But I am hopeful the averages will mean a nice cool Rally next year! And from Charlotte (Oh we know heat) a great ride!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  12. #12
    Wave to motorcycle cops Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    275

    How about Daytona Beach Now?

    Now that its a June National Rally....how about Daytona Beach?
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

  13. #13
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Now that its a June National Rally....how about Daytona Beach?
    Just say NO!

    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lanark County near Ottawa ON
    Posts
    166
    no!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post

    I'm so thankful that the BOD and powers that be made the decision to move the Rally dates to June.

    DC
    When will they publish the exact dates for 2020, or have they already? I've never been to one and I'm in Denver area so it would be a great ride to get there thru Jackson/Yellowstone and I do want to go thru Flaming Gorge as well. I would ride out the very lovely and easy 40 out of Denver to Flaming Gorge.

Similar Threads

  1. Rally registration dates ?
    By maxscycle in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM
  2. Rally in the poconocs ; dates!!
    By kenosiecki in forum Regional Northeast
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 01:53 AM
  3. Rally dates
    By 72598 in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
  4. dates of rally????
    By mrbmw07 in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM
  5. Rally dates and location
    By rob nye in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •