• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SO glad they moved the Rally dates!

Morning!

MAD DOG here, Beer Garden Chair.
Well...I'm so glad that every one enjoyed the $3.00 Porter, and our selections last year, {and those "lucky " few who got to see me dance with the ventriloquist on stage}, because The MOA will not be running the BG in Great Falls. Just too much money in booze, I'm afraid. So hopefully there will be a pub crawl that I can enjoy again!

On another note, very happy to cross the Mid-west from Ct. in June and not July. But I also remember that we had hail every day in 2015, or was it '98. Either way it's not summer in MT. in June.
See you then everyone.

MAD DOG {ret. BG Chair temp.}:drink
If the moa can’t have the beer garden why is that not a automatic rejection of that site!

If the moa can’t have the beer garden why is that not a automatic rejection of that site!

Well, it used to be that way... I’ve seen excellent sites rejected because we were not able to sell our own beer. The reason was that we wished our members to benefit from quality beer at rock-bottom prices and still put a little money in our account.

These days, more and more venues have exclusive contracts with concessionaires, which eliminates our ability to sell.

So.... in the interest of finding good venues in decent locations, we had to have some flexibility in this respect.

Honestly, I am glad we did... it opened the door to a lot of better venues.

Well, it used to be that way... I’ve seen excellent sites rejected because we were not able to sell our own beer. The reason was that we wished our members to benefit from quality beer at rock-bottom prices and still put a little money in our account.

These days, more and more venues have exclusive contracts with concessionaires, which eliminates our ability to sell.

So.... in the interest of finding good venues in decent locations, we had to have some flexibility in this respect.

Honestly, I am glad we did... it opened the door to a lot of better venues.

Dittos to Ian's reply. We were missing out on some great sites before the Board decided to be flexible with this "wish list" site requirement.

So this one will rank right up there with Salt Lake City

The site is outstanding, the riding in the area is outstanding, and it WILL NOT be hot! Rally Chairs Becky and Cory Smith are planning a grand party for those that attend. As far as who runs the beer garden, makes no difference to me as I buy my beverages of choice off grounds. FWIW, you can hang out anywhere on grounds with your own beverages.

Beer Sales

I could care less about drinking in beer garden also, I didn’t get the free beer token used that I received for working at the ice sales.
I did enjoy being in the area talking to people
If you are not using MOA volunteers you are paying outsiders instead of money going to moa it’s going to strangers
Having more outsiders increases chances of theft from campsites
If it is the same beer sales as the fair it’s a very good chance that you will get the finest crowd control 3.2 beer swil
It will not make any difference to me but I would be willing to place a small bet that beer will cost 2 or 3 times more
Apples oranges comparison cost of ice on site between Des Moines and Lebanon

It will not make any difference to me but I would be willing to place a small bet that beer will cost 2 or 3 times more

I would bet that we will not be paying from $6 (2x) to $9 (3x) per beer. As for the 3.2 swill, if that is what it is folks will just go get a case or two of real beer at the grocery store.

But in the meantime we can all panic of we want to. I don't.

I don’t camp therefore I never drink beer at the rally so no beer garden does not impact me and I suspect others who don’t camp as well. But honestly the cost of beer is cheap and I suspect the campers will make periodic beer runs and procure a wide variety of the brew of their choice. Heck some places have beers stores that deliver. And if it gives us access to more primo rally sites I’m all for it.

FWIW, you can hang out anywhere on grounds with your own beverages.

I did enjoy being in the area talking to people

The essence of the beer garden is not so much in the beer as it is in the opportunity to commune with friends in a shaded sit-down spot, beverage in hand. So long as there’s a tent shelter or other shaded area where I know I can find old friends and make new, I am AOK with BYOB. My concern would be that we will find only ONE such gathering area, controlled by an outside vendor with “no outside food or beverage allowed”.

The upside, I guess, is that Airhead Central will become THE place to be regardless of the flavor BMW one prefers to ride. :brow

Best,
DeVern

Nobody said there would not be a beer garden: just that the BMW MOA would not be running a beer garden staffed with volunteers in 2020. In at least one other prior year this was also the case due to contracts between the venue and one or more vendors. I suspect this is also the case for 2020.

I predict there will be a beer garden staffed and furnished by a regular venue vendor. The downside will be that the profits will not go to the BMW MOA, and the beer might be a buck a beer more since servers will be paid rather than volunteers. I can't imagine the venue is going to give up on the opportunity for beer to be sold.

If my hunches and guesses are wrong I am sure somebody will correct my assumptions here in short order. Or to the contrary maybe somebody in the know will confirm my hunches are more or less accurate. :) :scratch

There will be a beer garden in the typical fashion at the rally. There is a large hall that has been identified that will provide indoor seating, an outdoor area and direct access to the nightly entertainment. And, it will need volunteers for setup, decoration, cleanliness, etc. It is still our beer garden, the beer is simply sold by the fairgrounds rather than us.

The beer selection, pricing, sizes, etc are all in discussion at the moment. You can expect the same experience you’ve had at past rallies, a couple of domestics, several local micro brew selections, full strength and reasonable prices. I don’t know the final numbers yet, but I would expect $2/$3 for domestics and $4/$5 for microbrews depending on the supplier, volume estimates, etc.

The rules won’t change significantly either. If you prefer to bring in your own groceries, no one is inspecting saddlebags or looking in your cups to determine what may or may not be inside.

And, for something different and a little upbeat, we are working with a customer to “sponsor” the beer garden in some fashion. Our hope is that means some
complimentary beverages, but it is early in that process and we are still working on the details.

More to come as we get closer, but have no fear. There will definitely be a beer garden and you will be happy with the arrangements.

Ted

Hello Ted,

Perhaps our new official MOA insurance company will sponsor the Bier Garten ? :dance :wave

Friedle

Back