• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Engine Oil Level

Good morning- for the life of me I can’t determine whether my engine oil level is correct (see attached photo). I changed the oil and added 4 quarts of oil, after I took a 250 mile trip I saw a low level in the sight glass (bottom line). I added 1/2 quart and saw the level at the sight glass midpoint. I rode another 250 miles home and saw the level at the bottom of the glass. So I added oil and waited for the level to rise, it didn’t. After reading the thread about riding then stopping and parking it on the side stand for 10 min then reading it while on the center stand, I rode it last night and did this...the attached photo shows the level (or not).

Is it completely full? Or empty? I miss my airhead dipstick!

Thanks for your help!
Charlie

Attachments

• E89F05DB-79A5-493A-AB6F-8B37E5932E7B.jpg
    E89F05DB-79A5-493A-AB6F-8B37E5932E7B.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 280
Oil Level

I also have a sight glass issue. I have always taken the bike in for oil changes and last time I noticed the oil level was at the top of the sight glass. It is really difficult to level the bike by myself. I place boards under the kickstand to get it close without endanger tipping the thing over.

I added slightly less than 4 quarts which is the stated capacity with a filter change and the oil level seems to be at the top of the sight glass. I am debating draining a bit back out but wanted to see what others have done. If the bike truly holds 4 quarts then I know I haven't overfilled.

HELP......Bob

1996 R1100RT Oil Level

I have a level garage floor so putting it on the center stand gets it level. I just changed my oil and filter, added oil per the manual and after a few minutes, looked at the sight glass. It was right at the bottom. I started the bike, let it idle for a bit, turned it off and let it sit for 10 minutes and it was again close to the bottom. After it sat for 30 minutes it was at the center line on the sight glass and after a couple hours it was at the top of the sight glass. So, it appears to take a while for all the oil to drain from the top of the engine, so you get an accurate oil level in the sight glass. I was glad I didn't add extra oil. Just something to consider.

If that is the nice clear, clean new oil you see in the sight glass and it is to the top of the circle then you are full. It can be difficult to see the new oil but it is very clear to see through the sight glass after you drain the oil so you probably have a full sight glass. For many years I always filled mine to the top of the sight glass and I always had some oil seepage out of the oil filler cap. I replaced the gasket around the cap but it didn't seem to help. The plastic cap and gasket don't seem to be a very tight fit. Finally I read somewhere that filling my oil to the dot in the center of the sight glass was actually the full reading. I have been filling it to the dot since then and my seepage problem around the filler cap went away. I hope this helps.
Mark

This is a topic that comes up often for oilheads. There is one and only one repeatable way to check your oil level. The BEST time to check it is when you get home from a ride and the bike has five bars showing on the temp side of the RID. When you arrive put the bike on the sidestand and walk away for five minutes. Come back, put it on the center stand and take a look at the sight glass. The perfect lever is in the MIDDLE of the sight glass, and not the top. Even if you fill it to the top it will just end up in the middle anyway if it is not an oil burner. This is due to the way the oilhead motor tosses oil around in the crankcase and those motors do not like more than the middle of the sight glass. The excess oil ends up in your air box and can be drained by removing the drain plug on the left rear of the air box.

Reasons:
One is that if the bike is not completely warmed up no oil is circulating in the oil cooler because the thermostat (yes there is an oil thermostat) has not opened yet. This traps the oil in the oil cooler and if you fill the bike like that the next time it does get warm and the thermostat opens that oil will now drain down into the sump the next time it is on the sidestand and you end up with too much oil.

Two (much like the above) is that a lot of folks put 4 quarts is not realizing how much is lurking in the oil cooler and then it comes down and joins the 4 quarts. And now you are over filled.

I also have a sight glass issue. I have always taken the bike in for oil changes and last time I noticed the oil level was at the top of the sight glass. It is really difficult to level the bike by myself. I place boards under the kickstand to get it close without endanger tipping the thing over.

I added slightly less than 4 quarts which is the stated capacity with a filter change and the oil level seems to be at the top of the sight glass. I am debating draining a bit back out but wanted to see what others have done. If the bike truly holds 4 quarts then I know I haven't overfilled.

HELP......Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob.
If you don't have a center stand, have a friend sit on the bike while you check the level.
You could also try a mirror taped to the end of a stick.
What bike do you own?

Welcome to the forum Bob.
If you don't have a center stand, have a friend sit on the bike while you check the level.
You could also try a mirror taped to the end of a stick.
What bike do you own?

Voni travels by herself a lot. Voni never puts her bike on the centertand unless it is a dire emergency. She has checked her own oil on her R1100RS dozens of times, astride the motorcycle using a simple cosmetics compact mirror.

I just sit on the bike normally, then reach down and snap a picture with my cell phone. No dirty knees that way... :)

Best,
DeVern

I my case when I changed the oil and filter added 4 liters of oil and it was not showing in the glass after I started the bike and let it sit for awhile. The next morning when I came out and checked it the level was sitting right in the middle of the glass, couldn't be more centered. Today after ridding it yesterday, and sitting overnight it shows the glass filled, so it grew in volume?:scratch

I my case when I changed the oil and filter added 4 liters of oil and it was not showing in the glass after I started the bike and let it sit for awhile. The next morning when I came out and checked it the level was sitting right in the middle of the glass, couldn't be more centered. Today after ridding it yesterday, and sitting overnight it shows the glass filled, so it grew in volume?:scratch

They trap oil in unpredictable ways. The side stand then centerstand when hot routine spelled out in an earlier post is the most time tested reliable way to avoid trapping oil in the cooler.

Four liters is too much oil. Read the other comments about the oil thermostat and oil trapped in the oil cooler. If you’re really using liter containers, not quarts, put 3.5 liters in for an oil change with new filter. This will get you a settled level near the middle of the sight glass. 3.75 will get you to the top. Add the amount specified in the manual and close it up. Don’t look at the sight glass until you ride it enough to open the thermostat and then check it after riding. Park, side stand, take off gear, center stand, check oil level.

This is a topic that comes up often for oilheads. There is one and only one repeatable way to check your oil level. The BEST time to check it is when you get home from a ride and the bike has five bars showing on the temp side of the RID. When you arrive put the bike on the sidestand and walk away for five minutes. Come back, put it on the center stand and take a look at the sight glass. The perfect lever is in the MIDDLE of the sight glass, and not the top. Even if you fill it to the top it will just end up in the middle anyway if it is not an oil burner. This is due to the way the oilhead motor tosses oil around in the crankcase and those motors do not like more than the middle of the sight glass. The excess oil ends up in your air box and can be drained by removing the drain plug on the left rear of the air box.

Reasons:
One is that if the bike is not completely warmed up no oil is circulating in the oil cooler because the thermostat (yes there is an oil thermostat) has not opened yet. This traps the oil in the oil cooler and if you fill the bike like that the next time it does get warm and the thermostat opens that oil will now drain down into the sump the next time it is on the sidestand and you end up with too much oil.

Two (much like the above) is that a lot of folks put 4 quarts is not realizing how much is lurking in the oil cooler and then it comes down and joins the 4 quarts. And now you are over filled.

Thumbs up!

Site Glass

On mine if site glass looks full while bike on center stand start bike up run a bit shut off than check the oil cooler should be full so level showing on glass should be down to dot

On mine if site glass looks full while bike on center stand start bike up run a bit shut off than check the oil cooler should be full so level showing on glass should be down to dot

Nope. Read the procedure I posted above. It is the ONLY way to get an accurate reading that is easy and practical. And starting your bike to warm it up is a really bad idea because you need to get it quite hot, like over 3 bars on the RID hot. And then you need to put it...
nevermind, just read my post.

OK, just 'cause I make a lot of money off of lazy people doing stupid things, I will let you in on a secret:

Every machine/engine manufacturer tells you to check the oil level BEFORE you start it.

So, to make it easy for all, after a ride, park bike after ride, side stand down or up on centre stand, go to bed. BEFORE you head out on a ride, you got oil on the sidestand that you can see, you likely can see it on the centerstand.

Don't bother with reading reading the owner's manual for your bike or car, just ask, "how far can I go with bald tires?"

OK, just 'cause I make a lot of money off of lazy people doing stupid things, I will let you in on a secret:

Every machine/engine manufacturer tells you to check the oil level BEFORE you start it.

So, to make it easy for all, after a ride, park bike after ride, side stand down or up on centre stand, go to bed. BEFORE you head out on a ride, you got oil on the sidestand that you can see, you likely can see it on the centerstand.

Don't bother with reading reading the owner's manual for your bike or car, just ask, "how far can I go with bald tires?"

If I park my RT on the center stand hot when I arrive home and check it in the morning the level is NOT accurate. If I put it on the side stand for five minutes (or more) BEFORE I put it on the center stand whether that is over night or not the level is always accurate.

The oil cooler does not drain when the bike is level on the center stand, hot oil or not. I've experimented with this a lot when I first owned and oilhead and don't want to argue the point every time this comes up.

I've also found that the difference between the level of hot oil after checking it as I described above and checking it in the morning after it sits overnight is about a difference of 1 to 2mm in the sight glass which is not enough to even worry about. The hot oil runs out of the cooler when the bike is tipped left and down into the sump pretty quickly. The residue that drains down after the first 10 to 15 minutes of hot draining is not enough to worry about. The huge equipment that you work on, big arse diesel motors is a different story. I have no experience with them to draw from.

My point, completely missed........................

The difference between 1mm and 2mm is a fine Sharpie versus a medium Sharpie and even you are down a coarse Sharpie but see oil in the sight glass, ride it like you stole it.

Have three Oilheads, one doesn't have a center stand, they all rest on side stand majority of time. If oil is near top of glass on side stand pre ride, there is no oil on floor, and I know which bike smokes at times...I air tires and ride away.
Only one bike may need any oil between changes, even when running spirited all day long.

Same on our Hex's...but we're on Oilheads right now:wave

Back