• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine Oil Level

Bad news

After taking a 12 mile ride the other day to warm up the bike so I could check the oil (side stand for 10 minutes then center stand down), the oil level didn't change so I suspected it was overfilled. I went to start the bike tonight and it would barely turn over so I drained the oil and sure enough, about 6 quarts came out....now I’m thinking serious engine damage due to overfilling.

I decided to check the spark plugs and about 2-3 tablespoons of oil ran out of the left cylinder spark plug hole. When I removed the right cylinder spark plug there was a small amount of oil on the exposed threads but nothing more.

Now several questions:

1. Is the engine damaged?
2. Would a compression test be the next step to determine the extent of damage?
3. I understood these engines couldn’t be overfilled as excess oil would end up in the air box, I checked this several times during my rides and never saw any oil....is my understanding incorrect?

Thanks,
Charlie

After taking a 12 mile ride the other day to warm up the bike so I could check the oil (side stand for 10 minutes then center stand down), the oil level didn't change so I suspected it was overfilled. I went to start the bike tonight and it would barely turn over so I drained the oil and sure enough, about 6 quarts came out....now I’m thinking serious engine damage due to overfilling.

I decided to check the spark plugs and about 2-3 tablespoons of oil ran out of the left cylinder spark plug hole. When I removed the right cylinder spark plug there was a small amount of oil on the exposed threads but nothing more.

Now several questions:

1. Is the engine damaged?
2. Would a compression test be the next step to determine the extent of damage?
3. I understood these engines couldn’t be overfilled as excess oil would end up in the air box, I checked this several times during my rides and never saw any oil....is my understanding incorrect?

Thanks,
Charlie

Absent strange noises I doubt the engine is damaged. Since it did turn over I doubt you experienced hydrostatic lock. I would fill it to the correct level with 3.5 to 3.75 quarts. I would make sure the battery was well charged and I would start it. I would expect it to win the mosquito fogging bike of the year award when 1st started.

Oil Level

Welcome to the forum Bob.
If you don't have a center stand, have a friend sit on the bike while you check the level.
You could also try a mirror taped to the end of a stick.
What bike do you own?

Hi, I have a 2004 R1200CLC. I have the bike for a number of years but this is the first time I have changed the oil. I added just under 4 quarts but it appears the oil is up to the top or low. I can't tell. I will try the mirror trick. Thanks, Bob

I understood these engines couldn’t be overfilled as excess oil would end up in the air box, I checked this several times during my rides and never saw any oil....is my understanding incorrect?

I don't think you would see oil in the airbox - it would be in the sump below. There's a drain plug on the left rear corner...put a paper cup under it!

BTW I had a hard time getting my drain plug out the first time...it would turn & loosen (and dribble), but wouldn't let go & actually come out. There's a bit of a friction bump on the two "feet" on the plug that hold it in place when loose; a little harder turn and it will let go.

I have a bitch of a time getting my 1200GS on it's center stand. I was told by a well healed multi decade BMW mechanic/owner that if the sight glass has oil showing at top of glass in it on the side stand cold, ride it. If it's at the bottom of the sight glass, add 1/2 a quart. Might be a little over or a little under but that the amount of over or under will not damage the motor.

Apparently he's done just that for decades without issues himself. He said it can be a 1/2 quart over or under filled and not be detrimental to the motor.

Last edited:
I don't think you would see oil in the airbox - it would be in the sump below. There's a drain plug on the left rear corner...put a paper cup under it!

BTW I had a hard time getting my drain plug out the first time...it would turn & loosen (and dribble), but wouldn't let go & actually come out. There's a bit of a friction bump on the two "feet" on the plug that hold it in place when loose; a little harder turn and it will let go.

Thanks for the tip, I was not looking at the right place for drain plug. Once I found it and drained another 1.5L of oil, now the total oil drained is 7.5L....

I changed the plugs and adjusted the valves, will attempt starting it tomorrow.....fingers crossed.
Charlie

Thanks for the tip, I was not looking at the right place for drain plug. Once I found it and drained another 1.5L of oil, now the total oil drained is 7.5L....

I changed the plugs and adjusted the valves, will attempt starting it tomorrow.....fingers crossed.
Charlie

Started the bike today and it smoked like the aforementioned mosquito killing machine! I only ran it for about 5 minutes before I had to move it inside the garage. No mechanical noises while it was running but it didn't stop smoking, hopefully no ring damage. The oil level is not showing in the newly installed sight glass since the bike wasn't warm enough for the oil cooler t-stat to open, tomorrow I’ll add some injector cleaner and go for a engine-warming ride. Hopefully the smoking stops and the oil level shows in the sight glass....

Back