• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Custom - Custom Seat

amadison

Maybe I should have made the subject "Passenger Comfort Problem"

I'm 5' 5" tall, and presently a 32" waist (i.e. small body). My wife is even smaller than me (5' 1"). She has a terrible time riding as a passenger on my present bike, or any other bike with the super sport seat and wee pinion pedestal pad behind the crescent shaped rider seat. I believe the problem is the huge gap between my back/backside and where my petite wife ends up perched up on the passenger spot. Has anyone actually tried to solve this problem with the S1KRR? My old Honda VFR had a sloped transition from the rider position up to a slightly less sloped passenger position. I was wondering if I could commission someone (or fabricate myself) to build a custom seat that with an extended, sloping, padded tail that reached up/back to the passenger pad, ala the S1KXR. Has anyone tried anything like that? Is the cost in the thousands?

Besides the user-custom seat mod here are my other options:

1. Trade in the RR for the XR. BUT I am too much in love with the RR. To paraphrase another motorcycle review, "This is your brain, this is your brain riding a S1000RR. Wahhhh!!!"

2. Give in to multi-bike disorder. I once had a Honda VFR, great straight up touring bike. But this would cost me thousands. But my wife and I could go on trips on it, especially if I get it with/add some hard case luggage.

3. Continue to be evasive with my wife about solving the passenger seating problem. *wink wink*

4. Some other solution I haven't thought of. I thought about creating a semi-rigid covered cushion, held down by velcro or some other means, that my wife could sit on that would resemble the padded tail seat described previously. But could be semi-safe, and last thing I want to do is endanger "The Wind Beneath My Wings."

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I should have made the subject "Passenger Comfort Problem"

I'm 5' 5" tall, and presently a 32" waist (i.e. small body). My wife is even smaller than me (5' 1"). She has a terrible time riding as a passenger on my present bike, or any other bike with the super sport seat and wee pinion pedestal pad behind the crescent shaped rider seat. I believe the problem is the huge gap between my back/backside and where my petite wife ends up perched up on the passenger spot. Has anyone actually tried to solve this problem with the S1KRR? My old Honda VFR had a sloped transition from the rider position up to a slightly less sloped passenger position. I was wondering if I could commission someone (or fabricate myself) to build a custom seat that with an extended, sloping, padded tail that reached up/back to the passenger pad, ala the S1KXR. Has anyone tried anything like that? Is the cost in the thousands?

Besides the user-custom seat mod here are my other options:

1. Trade in the RR for the XR. BUT I am too much in love with the RR. To paraphrase another motorcycle review, "This is your brain, this is your brain riding a S1000RR. Wahhhh!!!"

2. Give in to multi-bike disorder. I once had a Honda VFR, great straight up touring bike. But this would cost me thousands. But my wife and I could go on trips on it, especially if I get it with/add some hard case luggage.

3. Continue to be evasive with my wife about solving the passenger seating problem. *wink wink*

4. Some other solution I haven't thought of. I thought about creating a semi-rigid covered cushion, held down by velcro or some other means, that my wife could sit on that would resemble the padded tail seat described previously. But could be semi-safe, and last thing I want to do is endanger "The Wind Beneath My Wings."

Thanks in advance.

Have been afflicted with the multi-bike disorder for decades... come on in, man, the water is fine.

Last edited:
Back