• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I want a flashing LED stop lamp to go right here…17 RT

AjaxTheDog

Seems like its a fixture made for a light of some sort on the back fender of my 17 RT. 10.75cm long x 2.5cm wide. It would be perfect for a pulsing super bright LED stop lamp to hopefully prevent someone from ramming me in the rear.

Anyone know of such a thing?

P7090565.jpg

The two holes are for number plates in the UK and Europe. I have had similar thoughts of utilizing that mounting point. One idea is to buy some flat metal stock from a builder supply store to make a bracket to hold as many LED lights as you can wire.

Cheers,
William

29d7e5d89569fa2fb9c4214316df425c.jpg

I just bought this light. I’m going to mount the base to the holes in fender then wire to a hex ezcan

https://sparksmith.com/products/morimoto-5stop-motorcycle-tail-brake-light

Admore tail lights come with a bracket and various nuts and bolts that would work quite nicely right there.

It is my understanding that the 2017 RT has the capability for pulsing stoplights built in, but that it is disabled for the U.S. market.
Why are aftermarket pulsing lights allowed, but I can't have my local dealer turn on the the capacity I've already got :scratch

It is my understanding that the 2017 RT has the capability for pulsing stoplights built in, but that it is disabled for the U.S. market.
Why are aftermarket pulsing lights allowed, but I can't have my local dealer turn on the the capacity I've already got :scratch

Most likely due to Federal law. I bet if you read the fine print the ones you can buy are "for off road use only."

+1 on the admore light. Pricey but works well. No need for canbus controller. I had a guy follow me for 15 miles and when I stopped for gas, he approached me and said he liked the light so well he wanted to buy one.

That looks like a winner. Does it flash/pulse? Do you have to buy the canopener thingy? Near triples the price...

It does flash/pulse based on first brake application or more than ...(0.2 g?) deceleration.

You need the CANOpener.
As BMW leverages a CANbus system (Computer Area Network) you can't just tap a wire to the brake light.
You need a way to capture and leverage the CANbus signals without interfering in their normal operation.

I bought the Billie Jr when I bought a set of Erica lights, so I already got the CANOpener.

Andres

I bought the Billie Jr when I bought a set of Erica lights, so I already got the CANOpener.

Andres

When we bought our 2016 RSs I asked the dealer about a extra brake light and he said if I only wanted a brake light, the Billie Jr. would be one of the more expensive options out there.
We decided to also get the Clearwather Darlas so the Billie Jr. did not add much to the cost since we needed the Canopener for the front lights.

Rear Fender extension.JPG

Painted Shield (2).JPG

So many choices...

Thanks everyone, I didn't realize so many different options were available. I looked at a twisted throttle video for the Denali system which implied the thing was plug and play. I mean really plug and play, like all you had to do was route the wires and plug them in together with already affixed plugs. Pricey as they all are but I will give them a call tomorrow and try to wring out the truth.

While canbus may be a great thing its too bad it is no longer as simple as connecting a few extra wires to your existing wiring rig.

Most likely due to Federal law. I bet if you read the fine print the ones you can buy are "for off road use only."

Weird, my CANSmart (rebranded ezCAN) has an option for "California flashing" which is 4 flashes in one second then solid. I assumed that that flashing pattern was street-legal in California. I've used it all over the US and most of Canada with no problems. I got a Whelan LIN3 (made for law enforcement vehicles, so really bright) and wired it in, screwed it over top of the OEM reflector over my license plate. Plus I had some leftover Skene Photon Blasters that now live on the sides of my license plate. So I've lost the reflector and gained some really attention-getting lights.

I'm a big believer that loud lights save lives.

I have a 16 RS and because of the way the brake light is tucked up under the seat I wanted something. Opted for an Admore light bracket. this year on the way to the National on of my ludite Airhead friends commented on how after following me around ARK for a couple of days really liked my Admore. He bought on in Lebanon. Made me feel good as since I have never really seen on work, he would be impressed.
Gator