• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I want a flashing LED stop lamp to go right here…17 RT

While canbus may be a great thing its too bad it is no longer as simple as connecting a few extra wires to your existing wiring rig.

The EZCAN is essentially the same as the CANOpener, both are plug and play.
(although you must use posi-lock connectors with connect the brake light to the device)

The device plugs under your pillion seat between the TPMS system and TPMS sensor.

It essentially leverages signals travelling over the CANBus system like lights on, high beam and brake activation and uses these signals to perform the appropriate function.

So if you install the Denali or Clearwater device, you have the capability to add extra lighting.

The CANOpener does not require cutting any wires, and posi-lock connectors are the easiest thing in the world to use and master.

Andres

I looked at a twisted throttle video for the Denali system which implied the thing was plug and play. I mean really plug and play, like all you had to do was route the wires and plug them in together with already affixed plugs. Pricey as they all are but I will give them a call tomorrow and try to wring out the truth.

While canbus may be a great thing its too bad it is no longer as simple as connecting a few extra wires to your existing wiring rig.

It's true. I had the CANSMART installed for a couple of months, then I installed my Denali B6 brake light in under 10 minutes, including drilling a small hole in the rear fender plastic and installing a grommet to route the wire up to the CANSMART. Connectors are completely plug-and-play save a couple of ring terminals for the battery connection. The original CANSMART install took maybe 20 minutes, most of which was messing with the battery holder to reach the negative terminal on the 2019 1250RT. The installation of my D4 lights took about 40 minutes because of all the Tupperware that had to come off, and the SoundBomb Mini took the most time because of no lift and the awkward access under the front. Plus the wasted time trying to get the factory horn to stay in place along with the Soundbomb. Eventually, I gave up and ditched the stock horn. I'll live with the CANBUS errors when I honk.

It looks like you have gotten a lot of great feedback on your question here.

Using the Denali CANsmart, the Denali B6 brake light is truly plug n play. It can be installed without a canbus controller also, but there are better available functions using a controller, including adjusting brightness percentages, modulation, and having a brake light come on when engine braking.

We also carry several variations of the Admore Light Bar. These light bars take a bit more time to install, and are not as easy as the plug n play solutions Denali offers, but they are still relatively simple. And, the Admore company--and Mr. Admore himself--are great people who are determined to make your experience with their products extremely successful.

Like someone above said, we too believe brighter lights save lives. Good luck in your quest for the right choice for your bike.

The Twisted Team
www.TwistedThrottle.com

...the Admore company--and Mr. Admore himself--are great people who are determined to make your experience with their products extremely successful.

I wholeheartedly concur with this. He is very responsive and the product itself is exceptional. Since the Wethead has an LED tail/brake light assembly, I'm not sure if you can just tap the harness to get your signal. The Twisted techs at the rally made it seem like running that light bar off their Cansmart wasn't just a plug and play deal like the B6 would be.

Having said that, the premium Admore light has its own accelerometer and, a HUGE plus, has three white strobes that activate with the brake light. Ever see those stop lights with the ring of flashing white LEDs? It's JUST like that and that one feature more than anything else drove me to buy that product. Words can't adequately describe how effective I think that feature is at attracting attention.

I also wanted to have a continuously flashing LED brake light mounted in the location shown in the OP's initial post. I have the Clearwater CanOpener and that controls forward aux lights, the horn, and the brake lights about the license tag (Billie and Billie, Jr). However, the Clearwater brake lights do not flash continuously. Rather these brake lights will flash 4 times in quick succession upon application of the brakes then will remain continuously illuminated at a bright output level.

The Clearwater lights like the BMW RTW brake lights are controlled by use of Pulse-width modulation (PWM); that is the LED lights turn off and on several hundred times a second. It was my desire to use some attention getting LED brake lights that would flash the entire time that the brakes are applied. My concern is with getting rear-ended by an inattentive rear driver while braking or stopped. The LED lights that I have used on my other bikes are the type used in emergency vehicles and are red in color. The blink rate and pattern is selectable from a wide variety of choices; these are typically called TIR or T-3 LED emergency lights. These LED lights require a non-PWM signal.

I did not want to blind someone directly behind me, but I did want someone further back to clearly see the blinking LED. I mounted the TIR LED to the rear fender and used a bit of 1-inch x 1/16-inch aluminum bar stock as a backing; the LEDs were aimed in the horizontal thru the use of some plastic spacers that I ground to an angle that would give the desired LED angle. The LED brake lights were wired to the black-grey with yellow band wire and brown ground wire found on the round connector beneath the rear cowl on my RTW. This connector is used to supply power and a non-PWM brake signal to the BMW rear trunk. The black-grey with yellow band wire provides a non-PWM brake signal.

The LED brake light was similar or the same as shown in the link below -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEKNCO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The photo below shows my implementation of this set-up -

rtw_brake.JPG

Most likely due to Federal law. I bet if you read the fine print the ones you can buy are "for off road use only."

That's really curious. We bought a 2015 Honda Rebel CMX250 for my wife last year and I just noticed that stock the bike came with flashing brake lights. From what I remember, the dealer did not install anything extra on that bike, so that functionality must have come factory configured. Begs the question that if Honda can do this on a stock bike, why can't BMW?

That's really curious. We bought a 2015 Honda Rebel CMX250 for my wife last year and I just noticed that stock the bike came with flashing brake lights. From what I remember, the dealer did not install anything extra on that bike, so that functionality must have come factory configured. Begs the question that if Honda can do this on a stock bike, why can't BMW?

I've never seen a flashing brake light in the US that came that way from the factory.

I've never seen a flashing brake light in the US that came that way from the factory.

Well, straight off the showroom floor then we have to assume the dealer installed a modulator. Sounds unusual for a dealer to do that. When I get a chance I’ll call them.

BMW cars and motorcycles have Dynamic (flashing) brake lights in Europe, but unfortunately this option is still not allowed in the US.

I'm really happy with the Denali B6 Brake Light. The mounting bracket attaches to the licence plate. A nice clean instal. I've used the Hex EZCAN to add 4 circuits to my RT. The Hex EZCAN can be programed to operate additional horn(s), lights, and accessories utilizing the bike's controls for same, ie: horn switch, light switch, wonder wheel, etc. Truly plug and play.

https://youtu.be/eWm2KCPjhWs

Last edited: