• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 R1250GS Rallye

roofus

2019 R1250GS Rallye Larger Windscreen

I want to install a larger windshield on my 2019 R1250GS. (Rallye Version windshield) When I ordered it I inadvertently selected the sport (small) windscreen. It's fine for day rides, but on a recent trip to the MOA in Tennessee, its shortcomings (no pun intended!) were really evident on the highway. I really got buffeted and pushed around.

I would like to upgrade to a larger windscreen:

1. install a GSA windshield . . .I understand that it will work on the GS.

2. install an aftermarket one like the Puig. However the Puig and other aftermarket screens seem to require "support bracket kits" The Puig support kit looks to be a complicated install. The windshield itself looks easy though.

I understand the Puig would provide better performance but the Adventure windshield is likely sufficient.

Any advice or experiences welcome.

Last edited:
Go back to the dealer

Why not go back to the dealer and ask them to fix the problem. They should have explained it so you didn't "inadvertently" order the wrong windscreen.

Puig windscreen bracket

I have a 1250GSA and found the stock adventure windscreen was a little low for me at 6' tall. I installed the Puig light smoke screen and it is taller and has a lip at the top that sends the wind over the top of my helmet. I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip and in the raised position the Puig definitely buffets around traffic, especially trucks. At highway speed around trucks I was concerned the screen or the brackets may break. I only rode in the raised position during heavy rain and lowered it as soon as the storm passed. Now back home I just installed the Puig brackets and this works great. The Puig brackets have a nylon lock nut to secure the adjustment bracket instead of a knob as some other windscreens have. This requires you to get the adjustment nut just tight enough to secure the adjustment bracket but no so tight you can't raise or lower the screen. To adjust the screen requires both hands, you pull up on the screen and turn the adjustment knob at the same time to raise or push down and turn the adjustment knob to lower. I tend to leave the screen in the perfect position for me and keep it there. If I do need to raise it for more protection I have to stop and use both hands. The bracket install was about 20 minutes and for me this works perfectly. Also note that even the stock screen with no support bracket requires both hands to raise or lower at highway speed due to the wind pressure. I ordered both the bracket and the windscreen from Revzilla. Hope this helps.

I have a 1250GSA and found the stock adventure windscreen was a little low for me at 6' tall. I installed the Puig light smoke screen and it is taller and has a lip at the top that sends the wind over the top of my helmet. I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip and in the raised position the Puig definitely buffets around traffic, especially trucks. At highway speed around trucks I was concerned the screen or the brackets may break. I only rode in the raised position during heavy rain and lowered it as soon as the storm passed. Now back home I just installed the Puig brackets and this works great. The Puig brackets have a nylon lock nut to secure the adjustment bracket instead of a knob as some other windscreens have. This requires you to get the adjustment nut just tight enough to secure the adjustment bracket but no so tight you can't raise or lower the screen. To adjust the screen requires both hands, you pull up on the screen and turn the adjustment knob at the same time to raise or push down and turn the adjustment knob to lower. I tend to leave the screen in the perfect position for me and keep it there. If I do need to raise it for more protection I have to stop and use both hands. The bracket install was about 20 minutes and for me this works perfectly. Also note that even the stock screen with no support bracket requires both hands to raise or lower at highway speed due to the wind pressure. I ordered both the bracket and the windscreen from Revzilla. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response . . . very helpful!

I have had the same experience as spotwhite with the Puig brackets, but I use them on the stock GSA windscreen. The brackets are a great help in stabilizing the windshield and I have a theory that since the windshield is no longer dancing around that I'm getting slightly better wind management, but I dunno for sure. But I do like the stock windshield very much - it's tall enough that I get good protection in the raised position while touring, but when lowered I'm getting very nice windflow through the vents in my helmet and mesh jacket in the summer to help comfort in the heat. It has been the best compromise for me.

The stock windshield on my GS was not quite tall enough to prevent rain from hitting me in the neck, but I liked it otherwise. I bought a GSA windshield and the four rubber grommets to go with it. You don't have to buy additional grommets but they are cheap and it is only a five minute job to switch shields if you just leave the grommets in each one. I use the GSA shield during cold or rainy weather and put on the GS shield for most of the summer. Super easy to switch them, the GSA shield keeps the stock look and it has been very effective for me.

The stock windshield on my GS was not quite tall enough to prevent rain from hitting me in the neck, but I liked it otherwise. I bought a GSA windshield and the four rubber grommets to go with it. You don't have to buy additional grommets but they are cheap and it is only a five minute job to switch shields if you just leave the grommets in each one. I use the GSA shield during cold or rainy weather and put on the GS shield for most of the summer. Super easy to switch them, the GSA shield keeps the stock look and it has been very effective for me.

Thank you for your information. It sounds like a useful option for me too!

I have had the same experience as spotwhite with the Puig brackets, but I use them on the stock GSA windscreen. The brackets are a great help in stabilizing the windshield and I have a theory that since the windshield is no longer dancing around that I'm getting slightly better wind management, but I dunno for sure. But I do like the stock windshield very much - it's tall enough that I get good protection in the raised position while touring, but when lowered I'm getting very nice windflow through the vents in my helmet and mesh jacket in the summer to help comfort in the heat. It has been the best compromise for me.

Thank you for your information!

Roofus,
I went with the Puig and the support brackets on my GSA and I got it installed in about 30 minutes. It isn't as complicated as it seems. I'm sure if you run into problems, most people on here can help.

Spotwhite is "spot on" with his description of the brackets and adjusting the tension. It is super simple.

It is definitely worth it. Probably the best thing I've changed on the bike. Next up is the seat.

Take care,
Austin

Roofus,
I went with the Puig and the support brackets on my GSA and I got it installed in about 30 minutes. It isn't as complicated as it seems. I'm sure if you run into problems, most people on here can help.

Spotwhite is "spot on" with his description of the brackets and adjusting the tension. It is super simple.

It is definitely worth it. Probably the best thing I've changed on the bike. Next up is the seat.

Take care,
Austin

Thanks!

I ordered the Puig and support brackets! I may be back with install questions! :)

Back