Thread: Mirrors

Mirrors

Has any one added the traditional style stem mirrors to their RT ? I have been watching the Tour de France and I noticed them on some of the RT chase bikes. I haven't been able to find them anywhere so any info on them is appreciated My bike is a 2014

Quote Originally Posted by irishrover14 View Post
    Has any one added the traditional style stem mirrors to their RT ? I have been watching the Tour de France and I noticed them on some of the RT chase bikes. I haven't been able to find them anywhere so any info on them is appreciated My bike is a 2014
    First, do the control perches have holes for mirror stems? If so, look at GS or R mirrors of the same approximate vintage.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    First, do the control perches have holes for mirror stems? .
    He can replace that part with one from a R1200R or R1200GS.

B0007026.png

Part # 9

32 72 8 532 971 PIPE CLAMP 0.09 1 $46.30
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Has any one added the traditional style stem mirrors to their RT ? ...
    You can replace your brake and clutch reservoir clamps with ones that have a mirror perch. As others have noted, the BMW part from a GS will do the trick. Wunderlich also sells their own version. But those are about $50 each. I bought a pair of nicely finished generic clamps for $7 on Amazon. They work great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RF793M

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I bought a pair of nicely finished generic clamps for $7 on Amazon. They work great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RF793M
    That's a much better price
    Even if someone doesn't need to add mirrors, the clamps make for a handy spot to add a RAM Ball.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

If you have the factory aux lights you will want to get the left clamp from BMW as it has the threaded hole for the switch to fasten to. The right side if pretty generic.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 Suzuki XN85 D Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    ... the clamps make for a handy spot to add a RAM Ball....
    Great minds think alike: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036G97DG

That's exactly what I did

Irishrover - I added the stem-type mirrors to my 2015. Here's a photo so you can see what has been added:

IMG_0748.jpeg

Using BMW parts (purchased from MAX BMW in NH), I had to buy two of the $46 brackets which supply the hole into which the mirrors mount. I recall that each mirror was about $90, thus making this a somewhat pricey addition. There are cheaper mirrors available and there may be better solutions.

Since others are mentioning RAM mounts, you can see a way that I mounted a RAM ball to my handlebars. I used a pricey Wunderlich "Multipod" adapter on the right side of the bars, and mounted a RAM ball to that. This allows me to use the x-shaped RAM mount to hold my iPhone XR right in the middle of everything.

I hope this is helpful.

JG
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Irishrover - I added the stem-type mirrors to my 2015. Here's a photo so you can see what has been added:

IMG_0748.jpeg

Using BMW parts (purchased from MAX BMW in NH), I had to buy two of the $46 brackets which supply the hole into which the mirrors mount. I recall that each mirror was about $90, thus making this a somewhat pricey addition. There are cheaper mirrors available and there may be better solutions.

Since others are mentioning RAM mounts, you can see a way that I mounted a RAM ball to my handlebars. I used a pricey Wunderlich "Multipod" adapter on the right side of the bars, and mounted a RAM ball to that. This allows me to use the x-shaped RAM mount to hold my iPhone XR right in the middle of everything.

I hope this is helpful.

JG
    Thanks Guys looking at amazon now