• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mirrors

irishrover14

Has any one added the traditional style stem mirrors to their RT ? I have been watching the Tour de France and I noticed them on some of the RT chase bikes. I haven't been able to find them anywhere so any info on them is appreciated :) My bike is a 2014

Has any one added the traditional style stem mirrors to their RT ? I have been watching the Tour de France and I noticed them on some of the RT chase bikes. I haven't been able to find them anywhere so any info on them is appreciated :) My bike is a 2014

First, do the control perches have holes for mirror stems? If so, look at GS or R mirrors of the same approximate vintage.

Has any one added the traditional style stem mirrors to their RT ? ...

You can replace your brake and clutch reservoir clamps with ones that have a mirror perch. As others have noted, the BMW part from a GS will do the trick. Wunderlich also sells their own version. But those are about $50 each. I bought a pair of nicely finished generic clamps for $7 on Amazon. They work great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RF793M

If you have the factory aux lights you will want to get the left clamp from BMW as it has the threaded hole for the switch to fasten to. The right side if pretty generic.

Irishrover - I added the stem-type mirrors to my 2015. Here's a photo so you can see what has been added:

IMG_0748.jpeg

Using BMW parts (purchased from MAX BMW in NH), I had to buy two of the $46 brackets which supply the hole into which the mirrors mount. I recall that each mirror was about $90, thus making this a somewhat pricey addition. There are cheaper mirrors available and there may be better solutions.

Since others are mentioning RAM mounts, you can see a way that I mounted a RAM ball to my handlebars. I used a pricey Wunderlich "Multipod" adapter on the right side of the bars, and mounted a RAM ball to that. This allows me to use the x-shaped RAM mount to hold my iPhone XR right in the middle of everything.

I hope this is helpful.

JG

mirrors

Irishrover - I added the stem-type mirrors to my 2015. Here's a photo so you can see what has been added:

View attachment 74760

Using BMW parts (purchased from MAX BMW in NH), I had to buy two of the $46 brackets which supply the hole into which the mirrors mount. I recall that each mirror was about $90, thus making this a somewhat pricey addition. There are cheaper mirrors available and there may be better solutions.

Since others are mentioning RAM mounts, you can see a way that I mounted a RAM ball to my handlebars. I used a pricey Wunderlich "Multipod" adapter on the right side of the bars, and mounted a RAM ball to that. This allows me to use the x-shaped RAM mount to hold my iPhone XR right in the middle of everything.

I hope this is helpful.

JG

Thanks Guys looking at amazon now

Aux. mirrors on ‘18 RT

Used these mirrors & brackets kit and extenders. Couldn’t be happier with function, appearance and price point. Once installed, I honestly haven’t looked at my stock mirrors since.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233187975248

Extends the mount point outboard in case of windshield to mirror conflict:

NICECNC Black Universal 10mm Stem Mirror Mount Risers Extenders Adapters for Motorcycle,Dual Sport,Cruisers,Scooters,Sportbikes(2PCS Right-Hand Threaded) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TFPPQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FQJwDbECGDBDVNICECNC

Caution: thread pitch

I recently bought a pair of GS mirrors from the MOA marketplace. And I was frustrated to (re)discover that BMW uses M10x1.5 thread pitch. Most 10mm mirror posts are M10x1.25 pitch. The mirror perch clamps that I found on Amazon above are M10x1.25, as is the RAM ball that I mounted on them.

So, keep that in mind as you buy parts. There are options available for converting back and forth, or you can always buy those expensive OEM reservoir clamps.

Has anyone noticed increased wind buffeting after installing these mirrors? That was an issue on my VStrom

I rode for several days with Boxflyer earlier this year. He has a 2014 RT on which he mounted the mirrors from a GS. At one point we swapped bikes for 50 miles -- my 2017 RT has the stock mirrors. Neither of us noticed any difference in noise or buffeting between the two bikes. And we were paying attention to that because we had different brands of windscreen, and were curious about the sound levels. So at least with BMW GS mirrors, there wasn't any difference that I could notice.

Cap

No.
I like fairing mounted mirrors, they seem to require less eye movement.

Personally, I agree. However, the replacement cost on the whole fairing mounted mirror assembly could cause one to consider the alternative.

Personally, I agree. However, the replacement cost on the whole fairing mounted mirror assembly could cause one to consider the alternative.

Yep, it's frustrating you have to buy the complete mirror and mount if you only break the mount.

Back