• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Won't start- 1983 R80 g/s

armartel

Was riding to a concert last night and, for some reason, I thought I stalled out while in traffic. When I tried to restart the bike, it started to click and seemed like a dead battery. I was able to immediately bump start it with a push from a friend and parked it to go in to the concert. When we left the concert, I tried to bump start it again to get home and the bike wouldn't start (the rear wheel actually skidded) and it felt like there was significant resistance while trying to pop it. It was choking and wouldn't start. We tried about 15 more times up and down the hill and couldn't get it to start. So, trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

Would be grateful for some help and thoughts.

What gear are you in when you let the clutch out during bump starting? Low gears don't have the mechanical advantage to go up against the engine compression. It's best to do that in 4th or really 5th gear. See if that gets the bike started.

If you suspect the battery, take it out and get it load tested at one of the auto parts stores. When you hit the starter button, what does the voltage at the battery terminals read?

You should also check your starter relay...could be that the connectors are corroded. Pulling it out and replugging it a few times might help with the corrosion.

Did you try using the kick starter? That is actually pretty difficult, but at least it gets the engine to turn over. These bikes are pretty difficult to push start and it does take a bit of technique. 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd and dropping your weight onto the seat/rear wheel for traction helps.

Did you check for spark?

One “stretch” thought... the ignition bean can (replaced the points found in older models) could be failing, as could the ICU (Ignition Control Unit). This can screw up the timing of your spark... or the absence of it.

My G/SPD+ has had these problems in the past... and if you have not invested in an updated charging system, you really should.

Good luck!

Ian

Figured it out

Three issues: The battery was faulty (installed an odyssey and it's completely dead and won't hold a load), the starter motor had seized and the wire connecting the battery to the starer was hanging on by a thread. Fixed those and all is good.

Thanks for the help.

Start with a NEW battery. How old is the installed battery?

Back