Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '04 1150RT not charging

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    There's a pretty lengthy article on alternator belts on my website. You probably need the ELAST belt, but looking at the alternator pulley will be the definitive move.
    Definitely going to pull the cover and see what I find under there. Itís certainly possible it could be my alternator belt, but not highly probable because when I test the battery at the terminals it reads 12V. But when I check voltage through my bikeís voltmeter with the key switched on it reads 2.9V. Iím not running any accessories that would place such a load that would cause 10V drop in voltage. I get the same result with the bike running. I will load test my battery just out of an abundance of caution and to be able to check it off my list. However the battery was replaced 2 months ago and the alternator belt was done done last year/5k miles ago. So neither of those components do I suspect to be the source of my problem. Then again...I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    Definitely going to pull the cover and see what I find under there. Itís certainly possible it could be my alternator belt, but not highly probable because when I test the battery at the terminals it reads 12V. But when I check voltage through my bikeís voltmeter with the key switched on it reads 2.9V. Iím not running any accessories that would place such a load that would cause 10V drop in voltage. I get the same result with the bike running. I will load test my battery just out of an abundance of caution and to be able to check it off my list. However the battery was replaced 2 months ago and the alternator belt was done done last year/5k miles ago. So neither of those components do I suspect to be the source of my problem. Then again...I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That screams bad battery. I had one at 12.7 v which a mere tail light bulb dropped to a fraction of one volt.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Any 12v battery dropping to 2.9v is permanently damaged.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

'04 1150RT not charging Alternator belt sizing

The belt I am replacing does not have any legible numbers or writing on it. What is the link to the article about belt sizing or how do I figure out the size based on the type of pulley.
    Thanks alot

Thanks for the input guys. I have a quick update. After removing the battery from the bike, I hooked up my multimeter and guess what? 13.1 volts! So after reinstalling that battery, checking connections and fuses I discovered part of the problem. One of the 15A fuses that serves the Powerlet 12v port was blown. Rather than running a pigtail to my battery to connect to my Battery Tender, I use a Powerlet plug which has the Battery Tender connector on it. It makes charging the bike a much simpler operation. Well, recently I bought a Powerlet USB charging cord to charge my iPhone. I believe this is what caused the blown 15A fuse. You might recall me mentioning my Battery Tender was flashing an error that AC was not properly connected. I swapped in a replacement 15A fuse and sure enough, the error code went away and the Battery Tender began charging.

After checking that the other fuses were good and properly seated, I connected my handheld multimeter and again confirmed 13.1 volts. I then turned the key and watched the volts drop and co-witnessed my multimeter against the voltmeter on the bike and it was right 12 volts. I then started the engine and saw the volts jump back up...14-ish volts (don't recall the exact reading), but clearly the charging system is working. I can check off alternator belt from my checklist now.

So....at this point I feel my mystery is half way solved.

I'm still wondering: 1) why I would have blown a 15A by simply charging my cell phone. I think it's only a 2A charger. Also, I only plug the Powerlet in while the bike is running. I never just leave it plugged in because I'm concerned about discharging my battery. I need a wiring schematic to see what else may be running off that circuit. 2) Why in the heck did my bike voltmeter read 2.9 volts? Keep in mind my handheld multimeter never read that low. The lowest reading I saw was 12V. Since the voltmeter is wired to the bike, the only thing that I can figure is that maybe the voltmeter is wired to the same circuit as the Powerlet. Perhaps the fuse was still making a small amount of contact when it blew....which might explain the 2.9V reading. I really don't know. I'm only surmising on what it may possibly be. I'm going to search the web for a good wiring diagram and a fuse/relay diagram so I study it and learn more about how my bike is wired. Once I have a better understanding, hopefully from there I can sort things out. The previous owner had wired up a few accessories, so there's always that possible electrical wild card to contend with.

Any thoughts or ideas?
    Last edited by tangoalpha; 07-20-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

The Mac-Pack site has a few great schematics created by Doug Raymond.

The link to a schematic is below. You might have measured 2.9V at your dvm due to backfeeding around the blown fuseójust a guess. Since thereís been custom wiring, all you can do is see how things have been added and compare them to the schematic.

https://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    The link to a schematic is below. You might have measured 2.9V at your dvm due to backfeeding around the blown fuseójust a guess. Since thereís been custom wiring, all you can do is see how things have been added and compare them to the schematic.

https://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/
    I agree with what you said about the 2.9V measurement. Since replacing the fuse and charging the battery, everything seems to be doing fine. No error codes on the Battery Tender either. The battery is holding a charge and is cranking the engine just fine. I haven't load tested it yet, but I will do so just to confirm the battery isn't damaged, so I can check that off my list. Thanks for the schematic by the way, I appreciate it very much.

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    I'm still wondering: 1) why I would have blown a 15A by simply charging my cell phone. I think it's only a 2A charger.
    I had a 12V GPS charger (cigarette lighter socket type) that routinely blew fuses in my car, so I'd wonder about either the charger connectors or the cable...seems unlikely to be the phone.
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered