• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yer from MEXICO??? Noooo, NEW Mexico, it's a state!

romulanremus

Amateur Surgeon
I get that a lot back east. Anyway, 61 years young, riding since I was 14, been through 20-odd bikes but this is my first BMW. Picking it up next week: a 97 RT. Third owner has had it since 2005; it had 11,500 miles on it then and is up to 49300 now. I spent an hour going over it with him before committing to buy, he has been on top of servicing except for the spline lube. Lots of extra goodies go with it so I think I did okay on the deal. Time will tell.

I plan on diving right in and getting the spline lube done. I've ordered a pile of stuff from Beemer Boneyard to get started. I'll get some Galfer SS brake lines on order and pimp GSaddict to renew the HES for me. Then it's ride time. Well hopefully. I'm recovering from an attempt at amateur surgery with my table saw three weeks ago. Kludged up three fingers on my right hand but I didn't lose them so blessings there.

I live 9000' above stress level in Cloudcroft, NM, and really enjoy riding through the mountains here. I have a mild case of MBS, with two 76 GL1000s, an 81 CB750C, and a couple Yamaha dirt bikes in addition to the incoming RT. One of the GLs will be sold soon and maybe the CB if I can get someone to bite on it.

I had a 320i and a 325i back in the early 80s, loved those cars, lots of fun to drive. I'm glad to be back to the Beemers after all this time.:dance
Cheers to all,
Richard
97 red4.jpg
97 red3.jpg

Welcome to America!! We stayed at The Lodge many moons ago. We were travelling on our K75s and had only t-shirts. The dining was a bit more formal than that so we asked the hostess if there was a local restaurant she would recommend. She replied that for the next 30 minutes t-shirts were allowed. Nice lady, nice place. The pianist asked if anyone had a request. Susan asked if he knew any John Lee Hooker. He did. Congrats on your bike sir!!

Thanks, I'm stoked about it, can't wait to pick it up. It's in Las Cruces, two hours away across the White Sands missile range and over the Organ Mountains. Sadly it'll be on a trailer :cry I get my stitches out tomorrow but it may be a long haul before I can ride again. The throttle on this one seems heavier than my GLs so may have to get some grip strength back first.

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have everything lined up for a complete service that will yield lots of trouble free miles :thumb
Keep us filled in on the progress.
Gary

Welcome Richard! I was through your area last fall enroute to The Coronado Trail over on the NM-AZ border. I have ridden a fair amount in northern New Mexico and that part is wonderful riding, so I was curious about the southern portion. It was just as nice to ride. You have picked a great place to live.

Glad to have you on the forum.

Any of y'all ever in the area, honk REAL loud, I'm 5 miles back in a canyon by way of a gravel, rock and dirt road. It's a little challenging on street bikes but just take it slow, watch for elk and knuckleheads who don't understand what a one-lane mountain road with lots of blind curves is all about and you'll be fine.
:bottle

Welcome. As I often say, "New Mexico. Not exactly Mexico. Not exactly new. :)
Thanks Paul. Methinks you're something of a celeb 'round here, so thanks again for the reply. I know my state probably ain't on your list of faves (I just did a search for this "Voni" that keeps popping up in posts I've been reading to try to find out what it meant, and saw you had a bad turn up state. Voni, Torrey, I'm such a noob) but I've met a bunch of good folks since we transplanted here from Ole Miss four years ago.

And the rides are fun: going up 244 from Cloudcroft to Ruidoso it feels like you're going back in time. It's Mescalero Apache territory and just feels lost in time. "God help me, I do love it so!"

Thanks Paul. Methinks you're something of a celeb 'round here, so thanks again for the reply. I know my state probably ain't on your list of faves (I just did a search for this "Voni" that keeps popping up in posts I've been reading to try to find out what it meant.

We love New Mexico. I am sitting at my computer in NM as I type. We have a condo at Angel Fire, 20 miles east of Taos where we spend a couple of months when not touring every summer. We are at a mere 8,700 feet here. A few years ago we spent almost a month camping at various spots in Lincoln County.

We love New Mexico. I am sitting at my computer in NM as I type. We have a condo at Angel Fire, 20 miles east of Taos where we spend a couple of months when not touring every summer. We are at a mere 8,700 feet here. A few years ago we spent almost a month camping at various spots in Lincoln County.
If you pass close by on your way back to the Big Bend be sure to give me a shout. I might even be mobile again by then!
Richard

I haven't used Galfer brake lines, but I have used the ones from Spiegler. The Spiegler brake lines allow one to position the line without twists or kinks and are available in a variety of colors. See link below -

https://spieglerusa.com/catalog/category/view/id/36

On my 94 R1100RS the head gasket recently began leaking. It seems that the old style would do that after a while. The newer head gaskets are more robust; laminated metal vs cardboard and were pretty easy to install.

In the early days of the internet a number of folks started the IBMWR (internet BMW riders) website. There is quite a lot of information compiled on maintenance of the oilheads; see link below -

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/oilhead-r-bike-tech-articles/

Thanks for the link, I’ve already been poking around there. I might be interested in the sidestand mod. Good stuff there.

Welcome top the Forum

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your (new to you) BMW RT! New Mexico has lots of great riding and I am heading out tomorrow to spend some time in Albuquerque.

Bob

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your (new to you) BMW RT! New Mexico has lots of great riding and I am heading out tomorrow to spend some time in Albuquerque.

Bob
I hope you have an unbadeventful trip out this way. Yeah, I'm super-stoked to get this bike. Although one recently showed up on Albuquerque or Colo Springs CL, a 98 or 99 with less than 20k miles for 2500 bucks. Gone now, of course! But I'm happy to be getting this one.:thumb

Welcome. I'm new as well and just bought by first BMW bike (F750GS). Like you, I've had many of their cars, notably the 320i and 530i (best car ever!)
I'm one state above you and also at 9000 ft. (Buena Vista, CO) If you get up this way in the summer, look me up. When the snow starts flying, I retreat to Florida. I'm a little older than you but with a similar attitude!
Tom

Back