• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1975 R90/S custom build with M-Unit Blue

agchevelle

Hello All, New member here. Forgive me if this is already somewhere, though i feel my issue is specific to me. So i inherited my bike from my uncle. We have worked on this bike together since i was a teenager. He altered the bike frame back in the 80's to turn it into a chopper. No i have it and i have made it into a bobber. The electric system was updated back in 2000 to update the voltage regulator and alternator. I have installed the new M-Unit blue and m-buttons for my setup. I am wiring everything from scratch. No wiring harness etc. The issue i am having is that i cannot get the bike to crank over. I saw there was some issue with wiring up a charging indicator light from the starter relay. I never had that on the previous build and the bike worked great. I saw on a site someone offering a charging light elimination kit. it looks like a resistor to an indicator light. I hope i have my wires to the starter relay correctly. I currently have 5 wires coming out of the relay. One to the ground, on is + to the battery, one red from starter solenoid, and the 2 others go to the diode board. I am so lost and just dont know/ am familiar with this type of charging/ignition system. The problem is that Airhead BMWs are unique own their own, then you add in the new M-Unit stuff and then to get even more confused its unique to what my Uncle has done over the years. So if anyone has installed the new M-Unit blue on an airhead please let me know what you did. I will upload pictures later. All of my wiring is in a separate box as I have eliminated the old air box and all of my electrics are house there with the ignition and 2 ignition coils. Trying to avoid updating anything else for now as my wallet is starting to dry up.

Welcome to the forum! Could you indicate which terminals you're connecting to on the starter relay and where those particular wires go? You mention one wire from the relay goes to ground...the wiring diagram in Haynes doesn't show that kind of direct connection.

Here's a diagram for the /7 which might be a little helpful:

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78r100wire.jpg

A specific '75/'76 diagram:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/schematic1975,1976.htm

Also you might use the google site search by entering this into the search box - site:forums.bmwmoa.org m-unit - there are some interesting past threads that might help.

Back