Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GS-911 Generation 1 is a No-Go for my wethead.

I have an OBDII bluetooth adapter and Motoscan app that I use with my 2017 GS. In the past I also owned a GS-911. The Motoscan is good, but it cannot do everything that a GS-911 can do. That fact may, or may not, matter to you, but the two are not an "apples to apples" comparison.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    So I guess I am now supposed to fork over another $300 again for a new model? How do I know this won't happen again in 5 years?
    That's exactly what I did. Actually I forked up $399 for the Wifi version for my R1250RT. Oh, and btw, I was one of their first GS-911 bluetooth customers way back in 2006. I used that unit with my 2005 R1200RT for 13 years. The old unit simply does not have the hardware to support the new interface on the newest bikes. And the OBDII interface is mandated by Euro 5 and it includes emissions data that has to be checked one Euro 5 goes live in 2020. Because of that, you do have alternatives to the GS-911. I trust you'll post how those work out for you. The new GS-911 Wifi is doing great for me

I wasn't exactly thrilled to pay $399 for the new unit, but I understand the time, effort and expertise it takes to produce products like this. Also, Hexcode updated that old GS-911 BT unit the entire time I had it, adding fixes and features... all without charging me an additional penny. I am happy to support them by purchasing the new GS-911 to use on my 1250RT.
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT

The GS911 folks have told me that they are working on a trade-in program for older models.

I think the Motoscan will be sufficient for my needs which is mostly looking at fault codes and resetting the service reminders. After examining how the Motoscan unit works with a generic transmitter it dawned on me that the only reason for the GS911 sending unit hardware is to make their software and hardware link together as one proprietary system. Motoscan on the other hand is software only, and even works with older round plug diagnostic connectors if you have a converter plug, around $20. Why GS911 couldn't have done the same is a mystery to me. Hard to think it wasn't just to generate some new sales by obsoleting their current product.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    For around a $100 you can get use MotoScan on your smart phone and perform the same tasks as a GS-911. I have a Wifi GS-911 and it has served me well, but a friend came thru using the MotoScan and it is a better deal for sure. Do a search for MotoScan and all shall be revealed.
    Do you have a link for a US supplier that is not Harley specific? All I can find is the German site. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    -Steve
    R1200RTw San Marino Blue - 2009 Gillera Fucco

Quote Originally Posted by pianomanla View Post
    Do you have a link for a US supplier that is not Harley specific? All I can find is the German site. Thanks in advance
    You buy the LX or MX OBD2 reader from Amazon. Adapter cable as well if needed for your bike. Then load the software for free from the Google app store. This will allow you to 'look' at codes etc. If / when you are ready to turn off codes, set reminders, etc. you do an 'in app' purchase of the version you want. It is all just software on your Android phone.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by pianomanla View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    If your cycle has the standard 16 pin car type diagnostic adapter you need this. You could also go higher end for the "MX" model, which probably doesn't matter as far as the Motoscan app is concerned, either will work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have an older model with the round 10 pin diagnostic plug you also have to buy a converter cable like this for the gizmo above to plug into:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The software is Android only and available on the Playstore if you search for Motoscan. The software author wants you to use the "Scantool ODBlink" branded product, he says it's better quality than some cheaper sending units that don't offer all the functionality his app needs. Here's the app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gsoft.motoscan

I suspect this does not have all the functions that the $400 GS911 tool does, but for about $100 in total it has all that I expect to use. I can also use the Scantool on my cars. And Motoscan doesn't seem to limit how many bikes you can use it on like the GS911 non pro version does.

BTW you can use Google Translate to look at the German web page. Some of the translations are comical but it can be useful.
    2012 R1200RT

As is typical, somebody can always make something cheaper that doesn't work as well.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul, I like your comment! I have been considering a GS911, and hage have considered the Motoscan app too. I can't decide, spend some money, get a half ass scan tool that might do all I need, or spend a bunch and get one that will do more than I need?!🤔
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Paul, I like your comment! I have been considering a GS911, and hage have considered the Motoscan app too. I can't decide, spend some money, get a half ass scan tool that might do all I need, or spend a bunch and get one that will do more than I need?!🤔
    Somewhat akin to Ford making the Pinto and the Mustang, or GM making the Citation and the Corvette, or maybe others making the Yugo and the 5 Series. A person decides what they want, or need or like the price of in varying orders of priority.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have tried and tried to get my MX to work with Motoscan to no avail. I have a $40 OBDII connector that works fine.
    Something I have never seen anywhere except info from one of the BMW specilist:
    If you have a BMW dealer do the computer updates they can write to you computer log without deleting any of the info stored there. to make this a bit more clear he showed me what my computer scan looked like with 2 years worth of info. If you use the GS-911 or Motoscan app. Because they are "Back Doored" they can only erase the error not reset it. This looses all the info in your computer which may be important at some point in the future.
    He showed me where the PO had failed to get the gas cap closed some 8 months before I purchased the bike. As well as when and which updates were done and on which date. Making comment that if I went the way of the GS-911 that info went away. they could still check which updates needed done but not the dates it happened.
    Maybe some people don't care. I am still on the fence and since I don't ride as much as I should anymore I may just do my own work and have them reset my lights.
    Gator

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I have tried and tried to get my MX to work with Motoscan to no avail. I have a $40 OBDII connector that works fine.
    Something I have never seen anywhere except info from one of the BMW specilist:
    If you have a BMW dealer do the computer updates they can write to you computer log without deleting any of the info stored there. to make this a bit more clear he showed me what my computer scan looked like with 2 years worth of info. If you use the GS-911 or Motoscan app. Because they are "Back Doored" they can only erase the error not reset it. This looses all the info in your computer which may be important at some point in the future.
    He showed me where the PO had failed to get the gas cap closed some 8 months before I purchased the bike. As well as when and which updates were done and on which date. Making comment that if I went the way of the GS-911 that info went away. they could still check which updates needed done but not the dates it happened.
    Maybe some people don't care. I am still on the fence and since I don't ride as much as I should anymore I may just do my own work and have them reset my lights.
    Gator
    History is always good, it needs to be compete, all details. I been using the GS911 wifi since I got my 14 RT new. At each service I print to PDF the autoscan before I start and then again after completion, that's my history plus all service records. Knowing of a previous fault is good but what happen, in most cases the fault is meaningless since the problem had been corrected. I'm very happy with the GS911 and recommend to anyone whom does their own service. I'll be using it today to install new TPMS senors

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    As is typical, somebody can always make something cheaper that doesn't work as well.
    Might want to consider what my marketing guy used to hammer into me me over and over again: Price has nothing to do with cost.

Any company worth their salt sells their product for whatever they can get for it, and that has nothing to do with how much it cost them to produce it. That works down to the point that there is no profit, in which case you don't bother to make and sell. Or you recover your loss on other profitable items you sell.
    2012 R1200RT

MotoScan

Can someone provide the "official" link to MotoScan?

Quote Originally Posted by 177369 View Post
    Which version of motoscan did you download? Ultimate? Can you perform the ABS bleed with it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsclo View Post
    Can someone provide the "official" link to MotoScan?
    Motoscan is a german app. Their site: https://www.motoscan.de
    The app is downloadable from the Google Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gsoft.motoscan
    There is a lite (free) version that allows you to read. You need to purchase a license to actually do anything with it.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Thanks! My search engine steered me to some wacky download site.

No iOS support?

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    Motoscan is a german app. Their site: https://www.motoscan.de