• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bodywork (tupperware) Screw Question

I just changed the air filter on my '17 R1200 RTW and neglected to note where the one long screw goes. It is a M5, no shoulder or flange and about 3/4 " long. Thanks in advance.

For all but one screw that hold on body panels to do 6k/12k service, they are M5...the one that is M6 is the one at the top of the fuel cap panel next to the handle bar steering head. I'm glad to see you call the screws by the right nomenclature vs what size tool fits them.
The cool thing about metric fasteners is that our screws that hold things on the R1200 are M5=T25, M6=T30 and so on...it's a factor of 5 to determine what tool to use for a specific fastener...like the rear wheel lugs are M10 and we use a T50.

Here is a YouTube video of a way to keep your screws organized and maybe even "unscrew" placement of screws from past service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exJbyMnGQg
The specific part that talks about panel screws and organization is from 3:10 to 5:20 in the video.

The screws you are talking about are probably the 3 screws on each side that hold on the LH radio control panel and the Aux power outlet on the RH side.

Hope this helps.

The cool thing about metric fasteners is that our screws that hold things on the R1200 are M5=T25, M6=T30 and so on...it's a factor of 5 to determine what tool to use for a specific fastener...like the rear wheel lugs are M10 and we use a T50.

Boxy: Many thanks! That is, indeed, a handy thing to know!

Ride long and prosper,
Bob Stewart

Not being very smart, when I remove a panel screw I use a bit of painters tape and attach it next to hole it came out of. Since I only have one bike this seems to work for me, if I were doing this all day would come up with a better plan

Back