• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1996 R1100RT AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control installation

oldcarman

I wanted to install a “real” cruise control on my 1996 R1100RT. I had previously installed the CCS-100 system, cost about $200, on a K100RT so I was familiar with the operation and general installation. There are other general-purpose cruise units for sale but this one works great and is pretty in-expensive.

I purchased mine from Murphskit.com, but as of today, they no longer sell this unit. It is always possible this might change in the future. I was also able to find it on Amazon so hopefully they are still available for others to purchase.

Two items worth mentioning, the CCS-100 uses vacuum to actuate the throttle. The instructions note that you many need to add an optional vacuum canister if your engine vacuum is low. On both my K and R bike installations I did not need to add the optional canister. I connected the CCS100 vacuum line directly to the left side throttle body. Second, the CCS100 wire, that is used to disengage the cruise connects into the wire going to the rear brake light. This system is designed for bikes / cars with incandescent brake lights, not LED lights. If you have converted to LED brake lights, it just requires some additional wiring.

The installation requires patience and some ingenuity to design and build a bracket, to attach the actuation cable into your bikes throttle actuation. Also, you need to be able to read your bikes wiring circuit schematic and solder wires. With that said it is doable by most back yard mechanics and worth it when finished.

NOTE: Pay special attention to the warnings in the instructions, especially the “AT YOUR OWN RISK” WARNING.

For my R1100RT I used the instructions for installing it on a K100RT, written by Drake Smith, 2014. Link is below. The wiring is almost identical, including wire colors and the K instructions a closely based on the CCS-100 generic install instructions that come with the unit. It is absolutely critical to read these instructions completely to correctly install this unit. Install instructions for ( CCS-100 ).
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickb...kb.tech.files/ccs100.k.bike/ccs100.k.bike.htm

In the instructions for the K bike and my R bike, I connect the CCS-100 Blue wire to the ignition coil black wire, which is the negative coil wire. This monitors RPM and is the main signal to the CCS-100 servo brain box.

The unit comes with a Control Switch for turning the unit on/off and for set/up/down, increase and decrease of speed. This control switch works fine and is easy to wire in, but it is not water / weatherproof. In the K instructions it talks about this and offers two options to deal with this. One is take a[art the switch and seal it with clear silicone. On the K, option two is to use BMW K1100LT windshield control switch, which is a direct bolt on to the K100, which doesn’t have a power windshield. On the R1100RT a second option is to use the radio handlebar volume up/down switch. On my bike the radio didn’t work and was removed, but the handlebar volume up/down switch was still on the handlebar. Since this switch is waterproof and has the required up/down function it was a good choice for me. This switch does not have an on/off function, so I did install a waterproof / marine switch in the dash to turn cruise on/off.

The biggest challenge for me was to fabricate a bracket(s) and a cable to attach the cruise actuation cable into your bikes throttle actuation. The bracket mounts to the top of the left throttle body. I’ve included a few pics below of the bracket I made. You need to drill one small hole for the 1” cable attachment bracket. It is drilled in the left side throttle body, throttle cable attachment. The hole is the lower hole right next to the rubber plug for the vacuum. See pic below.

I've also included a couple pics here to show the "BLUE" on/off switch in the dash ( above ABS switch ) and my bracket and cable installed. I love having real cruise, that works and looks like it came on the bike as it should have.

You may come up with a much-improved system. Also, pics showing where I installed the servo unit and how I ran the actuation cable, wires and on/off switch. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20190627_144820_resized B.jpg
    20190627_144820_resized B.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190626_154254_resized B.jpg
    20190626_154254_resized B.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190627_113329_resized B.jpg
    20190627_113329_resized B.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 82
  • RadioSwitchWiring.pdf
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
I forgot to add this word document with my installation notes and more pictures. oldcarman Jim

Attachments

• CruiseInstallR1100RT B.doc
    1 MB · Views: 10
Nice, saved your information.

There are only two things that I want from my R1100RT, cruise and the 6 speed.

There are numerous things I don't want that come with any bike with a 6 speed and cruise.

What I'm lacking in gears on my bike, I make it up in my truck.

Nice, saved your information.

There are only two things that I want from my R1100RT, cruise and the 6 speed.

There are numerous things I don't want that come with any bike with a 6 speed and cruise.

What I'm lacking in gears on my bike, I make it up in my truck.
Took the words right out of my mouth, except my truck only has 4 speeds.

Back