Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garmin Smartphone Link App

I also hate the constant high wind advisories and was going to turn off the weather alerts, but last year we were in Canada and leaving a friends house after a over night stay. The unit warned me of a Tornado warning in our area. We knew nothing's of this and stopped to do some more research via the phones. Turns out the warning was in the opposite direction we were headed. My friend did state that the weather turned really foul about 15 minutes after we left his house. I decided that I would live with the high wind alerts as this would have saved our bacon if we had been going the other direction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mlheck View Post
    I also hate the constant high wind advisories and was going to turn off the weather alerts,
    I don't think you have the option to turn them off.
    If it was possible I would use live radar and shut off weather alerts and weather forecast.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't think you have the option to turn them off.
    If it was possible I would use live radar and shut off weather alerts and weather forecast.
    You are correct, it is all or nothing with the weather. I had planned to unsubscribe from the weather service. Changed my mind though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm beginning to rely on my smartphone more and more while on the road. I have mounted it on a RAM mount and use Google maps to tell me about traffic and road closings. Something the Garmin can't do. I have a radar app which shows me approaching storms. My Galaxy S9 is waterproof and I have touch sensitive gloves so I can access it as easily as the Nav V. I had Smartlink but have now removed it.
    I use the Garmin for routing longer trips using basecamp but run Google Maps simultaneously so I can be warned of traffic or detours.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    ...The warnings of upcoming speed limit changes are more useful.
    Didn't know this was a option.
    I checked the app on the phone and don't see a option for this.

My mistake, partly because I assumed that both the Nav and my Zumo 595 shared the feature and partly because the warning is not a feature of Smartlink, but is from a setting on the Zumo. The 595 and the Nav V and VI use very similar software, but they do have some small differences. This may be one of them.

On the 595, Settings>Map &Vehicle>Audible Rider Alerts allows the individual selection of alerts for Speed Limit Reduction, Speed Limit Exceeded, Animal Crossing, Railroad Crossing, Schools, Curves, and Slower Traffic.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post

On the 595, Settings>Map &Vehicle>Audible Rider Alerts allows the individual selection of alerts for Speed Limit Reduction, .
    That would be a nice feature. Sometimes trees or brush can hide signs.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

That would be a nice feature. Sometimes trees or brush can hide signs.
    Sometimes signs are placed so as to be hidden by trees or bushes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Sometimes signs are placed so as to be hidden by trees or bushes.
    +1
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR