• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motorcycle Fatality Question

DRRAOULDUKE

We just found out that a neighbor died this week while circumnavigating Lake Michigan on his dual sport bike. Exacerbating this situation for his distraught widow is having his body transported some 400+ miles for funeral services. Brings me to my question: is there a policy or service anybody offers to cover this contingency? I know if I travel overseas I can purchase a policy that will transport me by plane home or to a US hospital facility in case of a medical emergency. Might be a valuable option for those who do long distance riding.

Also check out Sky Med. Similar but different details. As always - read the fine print.

These are for medical issues. I don't think either transport bodies.

I’m pretty sure you are stuck on this problem. What would make this more complicated is if the deceased was over the border. IRRC, That brings the state department into it and.....
Best of luck to the family.
OM

BTW- I will move this to Campfire later.

Transportation of deceased

I and many of my neighbors are transplants from other places. The typical situation here is that the deceased is to be interred back in their home town city & state. The majority of these cases are handled by cremation with a local ceremony & then the ashes are transported by the family in a container for later disposition at their convenience, not rushed. Yes, cremation is sometimes unacceptable for various reasons & if so, so be it. I can only imagine the costs that would be added to a typical funeral if the deceased in their coffin would need to be shipped (most likely) via the airlines. In addition if the deceased person met his death in a violent manner, an open casket might not be a viable option. Depressing eh? In many cases local law prohibits ambulances & other vehicles tasked with stabilizing & transporting live persons for emergency medical treatment from being used to transport remains.

Last edited:
I and many of my neighbors are transplants from other places. The typical situation here is that the deceased is to be interred back in their home town city & state. The majority of these cases are handled by cremation with a local ceremony & then the ashes are transported by the family in a container for later disposition at their convenience, not rushed. Yes, cremation is sometimes unacceptable for various reasons & if so, so be it. I can only imagine the costs that would be added to a typical funeral if the deceased in their coffin would need to be shipped (most likely) via the airlines. In addition if the deceased person met his death in a violent manner, an open casket might not be a viable option. Depressing eh? In many cases local law prohibits ambulances & other vehicles tasked with stabilizing & transporting live persons for emergency medical treatment from being used to transport remains.

Years ago an uncle of mine passed away from a medical incident while traveling out of state. His widow essentially had to pay for almost two funerals, as she had to have the remains processed by an undertaker in the state where he passed before they could be shipped to an undertaker in their home state. Yet in another case, an employee where I worked had her mother die of natural causes in another state. The family had the remains placed in a homemade wooden coffin, loaded it into a pickup truck, and drove across state lines on their own for burial in a rural family plot. Every situation can be different in one way or another.

Best,
DeVern

When my Mother passed away at the Hospice in Iowa she was cremated and my sister drove the ashes back to New Hampshire.
When my father passed away at Hospice in Iowa he was cremated and the funeral director mentioned shipping by UPS was a option to get the ashes back to New Hampshire.
I don't know if you can ship ashes from one country to another.

When my Mother passed away at the Hospice in Iowa she was cremated and my sister drove the ashes back to New Hampshire.
When my father passed away at Hospice in Iowa he was cremated and the funeral director mentioned shipping by UPS was a option to get the ashes back to New Hampshire.
You can. A coworker recently had his father in laws ashes shipped from Virginia to be spread across their vacation property in Mexico.

I didn't ask details on what needed to be done.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I was with my father when he died in England.My sister and I held a funeral in England, attended by his English friends and my English cousins. Dinner and celebration afterwards in a pub.

I carried dad's urn/ashes home in my backpack to Canada. No issues with British or Canadian customs. Held a memorial service here in Canada a few weeks later.

My father had prepaid for a funeral in KC, MO probably 10 years or more before he passed away here in Atlanta. We contacted the funeral home in KC and they took care of all the arrangements. There was $500.00 included for misc. charges that more than covered the preparation and transportation to KC.

A fellow I knew on ADVrider passed away and portions of his ashes were given to friends to bring to places he always wanted to visit. A part of him went to Newfoundland to the Lomond sinkhole and the last little bit of him on that trip went into the portal to fairy in my backyard. We raise a glass to him often.

At the link provided Medjet coverage states “Transfer of Mortal Remains”

I had the MedJet coverage for about six years through the MOA. Fortunately, I never had a need to use it. Once I turned 75YOA, it became more complicated with an extensive medical review required. I switched to "Emergency Assistance +" (See: https://www.emergencyassistanceplus.com). It is cheaper, and it does not require an old guy to do a medical review. It also covers the return of remains. Again, I've had no claims experience, so don't know if it will do what's promised.

I pulled the trigger on SkyMed at the RA Rally without very much research (go big or go home). Had to sign up at the rally for discounts and perks. I would imagine they (SkyMed) are pretty competitively priced with other programs. Insurance programs have a 30 day review period where you can un-reel the arrangement, so maybe I wasn't going that big? The issues that pulled me in were the discounts offered for multiple years of family coverage, extended months of coverage for Rally attendees and military service, (at the rally), no 100 mile exclusion for incidents close to home and price. The 100 mile exclusion is important to me because I do some trail maintenance and trail riding within that distance where there are not a lot of hospitals. Could be an opportunity for rotor time (which happened two weekends ago at event I worked at). In the end I signed up for coverage for the spouse and I for a period of 5 years and 8 months with Rally and military add-ons for $2,500. I read as much fine print as I could in the following 30 days (don't go big without reading the fine print) and am sticking with the coverage. I am not endorsing their program but I am recommending that you look at the options. The cost could remove a lot of headaches from an incident not covered by our normal insurance and/or BMW OA Anonymous Book options.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

One on Boston Medflight locations is a mile from me https://www.bostonmedflight.org/ . Last I was aware, a trip was around $5,000.
Sounds like your plan is a good value. I hope your purchase of the plan jinxes you out of ever needing it……making it priceless.
OM

Back