Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy!

Call me crazy!

Now I need some proof. I'm taking a serious look and Saturday test ride on a new G 310GS, I seem to be drawn to the "Little Thumper" since BMW announced the introduction. This would be # 24 in the stable that is all twins from '55 to '18 including an '04 Adventure, HP-2 Enduro, R 1100S BCR #68 a bunch of /2's and airheads and a freebee K 1100Lt which is becoming a cafe' deluxe. I'm not sure why I'm even looking at another bike to maintain and tinker with never mind spend some retirement cash on a few goodies to make it mine but I cannot suppress the urge to own one.

I need some of the good and bad on the "Little Thumper" from some who own or have done some miles on the bike.

Voni and I are each over 15K on ours. Last year we toured from Texas or New Mexico to Washington state, Duluth, and Des Moines, and back of course. We rode to Lebanon, TN and then to Leesburg VA and then back to Kansas so far in 2019. We leave for British Columbia later this month.

In Texas we have parked my two K75s and her R1100RS in favor of touring on the 310s. Their only weakness is headwinds and so were all my K75s. Just a shift to 5th solves the issue.

Top speed with camping gear on the seat was 94 for her RED one, 93 for my black one. They will cruise at 70 all day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

All I can offer is the good since I just haven't found any bad yet. I don't know your riding style and the kind of roads you like to navigate, but I can tell you this, the little thumper is capable of it all. I love riding the back roads, gravel and section lines both, and the lightness of this bike makes it perfect for that. I know some folks complain about the suspension but I don't find much to complain about at all, maybe I'm less particular.

I have the 1200GS and now the 310GS, and I find the big boy getting lots of rest in the garage while I'm out carousing on the 310. To me personally, the 1200 is too bulky and heavy for the gravel roads and its squirreliness on those roads makes me uneasy. Maybe I'm a wimp, but the 310 is so much easier to ride in those conditions. Another big plus for the 310 is even though the displacement is small, it gets up and cruises with the flow of any traffic. Like Paul mentioned, headwind can and does effect this bike, but shift down a gear and go. It'll get you there, and you'll have a smile on your face the whole time.

On my last all day adventure on the backroads, riding with a friend who also bought the 310, I averaged 71 MPG for the day.

So hey, you aren't crazy. Go take that test ride and see for yourself why people that already own this sweet little bike have such good things to say about it. I rode the 310R before the GS version was available, and I knew then that I wanted to buy one. I have a feeling you are going to be hooked after your ride too.

So what color are you bringing home?

Last edited by Rich; 07-08-2019 at 03:35 AM.

66461441_10214785204569307_2798895337715007488_n.jpg

Our 50th Anniversary presents to each other. Just keep on keeping on.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Blue and White

I stopped by the Dealer yesterday to pick up a couple items and it was sitting on the walkway by the front door like it was waiting for me to jump on and take it home. I will be test riding it Saturday while my Urban is getting a check up. So if I'm not disappointed it will be my new one, they have the paperwork waiting.

I was a little concerned about the top end on them, I remember some feed back from a friend who had one of those 450X bikes and he could only get about 65mph out of it. Thank you for the quick and very trusted opinion on this both Paul and Voni. I am really glad you were available to share your opinion, I am sure the new addition will be welcome. I just have to figure out how to ride it and the Urban home on Saturday.

Family photos will follow.

I think they are offering 0% financing on those right now.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

A Cape Codder I see

Might just be one payment and interest will be zero%. There is a program that gives big discounts to MOA members also, I'll do the math and see what works best.

"junkjohn", are you from the real Cape? I grew up in Wellfleet and have always thought the Cape (Cape Cod) started at the Eastham - Orleans rotary or round-about as some say.

Max bmw has some for 48 months at 0.9%. I'm in Dennis MA The Mid Cape. I washed ashore in 1986.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by 69zeff65 View Post
    Might just be one payment and interest will be zero%. There is a program that gives big discounts to MOA members also, I'll do the math and see what works best.

"junkjohn", are you from the real Cape? I grew up in Wellfleet and have always thought the Cape (Cape Cod) started at the Eastham - Orleans rotary or round-about as some say.
    Wellfleet oysters!

There is a dirty little secret about those oysters

Lets just say that in the early days, those oysters may have been subject to some recycled oyster stuff. I now have a Blue & White 310GS. I ordered the bash plate and engine bars and will pick them and the bike up on Wed or Thurs of next week. I have a few things to change around on the bike and will install a less heavy & quiet exhaust when I get it home. It will be the runt of the shop next to the '04 GSA, '06 HP-2 Enduro, the scrambler 850 R and the Urban GS, never mind all the other R and S bikes that inhabit the shop.

It looks like Razees has a F850, G310 and a K 1600B for 0% for 60 months.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I think they are offering 0% financing on those right now.
    I was at BMW Omaha today to look at a white 2018 G310GS that only had 1,300 miles on it, and had some desirable farkles. They walked me over to a 2019 and said that BMW NA was offering 0% finance or wait for this....$850 cash off, instead of the 0% financing. Asked if I could use the BMW MOA offer also, and they told me the offers couldn't be combined. So that made the 2019 close to the same price, until I made a counter offer on the 2018. So I now join the exclusive group of GS Midgets. Where do I order the hat? Now to find a new home for the 2004 R1150R.

On another note, how do you activate the hazard flashers? I couldn't figure it out and looking at the owners manual, nothing is mentioned. Aren't they required by DOT?
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

Quote Originally Posted by nyfty View Post
    . . . So I now join the exclusive group of GS Midgets. Where do I order the hat? Now to find a new home for the 2004 R1150R.
    Send inquiry with the color you want to grafikfeats@gmail.com

And welcome to the club!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Thanks Voni!

Thanks Voni!

Here's one for you and your pit crew. How do you turn on the hazard flashers? I couldn't figure it out as there isn't a dedicated button. And the owners manual doesn't mention it.
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

Quote Originally Posted by nyfty View Post
    Thanks Voni!

Here's one for you and your pit crew. How do you turn on the hazard flashers? I couldn't figure it out as there isn't a dedicated button. And the owners manual doesn't mention it.
    I don't know I never tried. Maybe that is an issue, not a feature.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/