• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just out riding...

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
So I don’t generally take my bike out of the garage unless I’m going to burn up at least a tankful of premium fuel.
3 of the times so far this year I’ve taken Betty the Fifth out for a good long run, I’ve taken her over to
the Renfrew area of Ontario then across the Ottawa River into Quebec for 2 reasons: the ride, and cheese.
There is a fromagerie in Montebello where they make some really delicious artisanal cheeses. What the hell - good enough reason for me to ride 400 klix one way. The other good reason? The 400 klix return to home!
I’m fortunate to live about 34 klix from the south end of the nicely curvy road #507 and it gets better from there. Hwy 28 to Bancroft is pretty sweet but after that, yes, it gets even better. Once past Dacre, route 41 takes you to Matawatchan Road which is a nice ride along the Madawaska River toward Calabogie. Any road in that general area brings a smile as the terrain rolls up and down and left and right. Once you’ve had your fill of curves and hills, head over to la belle province, score your fromage and head for home. It’s straight forward riding through Ottawa and you might as well stay on the slab until Perth, away from the
built up areas. From Perth though there is some great riding to be found south of highway 7 along the “B” roads. Beats the hell out of the boring and radar regulated #7.
Just sayin’. It’s boring here at work right now.

Ahhh, food runs! Here is one of mine : first is to go north into the farmlands of St Charles County, to catch the Golden Eagle Ferry, cross the Mississippi into Illinois, into what I affectionately refer to as 'the land between the rivers', or more commonly known as Calhoun County. Rural and agricultural, the roads wind through sparsely populated farmlands that drape across the rolling hills. Along the east side, parallel to the Illinois River, you will come across a roadside market full of locally grown fruits and vegetables varying with season. But most notably are the peaches when in season, and of course the jellies and jams. Once the panniers are stuffed with these treasures, one of the routes home is to cross over the Illinois River at Hardin, and follow 100, or The Great River Road, back towards Alton. 100 literally runs on the Mississippi River's edge for miles, running with the river on one side, with towering limestone bluffs on the other. Tough run just for peaches, but as you say, someone's gotta do it.

Second fav:

Heading west out of Defiance, taking 94 along the north shore of the Missouri River, through rolling hills covered with Oak forests, vineyards, and sweeping views of the river basin. Plenty of opportunities along the way for gravel challenges and Butleresque alphabet roads. The intermediate target is to get to 19, to cross the Big Muddy into Hermann. From there the goal is to work one's way east to New Haven. Famous for being the final home of one John Colter, a member of the Lewis and Clark expedition, it is also home to Pinkney Distillery and their award winning spirits. Their whiskey is my goal, allowing myself this luxury once a year. I love supporting local businesses!
This route offers two primary ways back to Defiance: either cross over the river in Washington or go further east to cross over in Chesterfield Valley. The trip can be done in under 200 miles, and the evening celebration oh so sweet.

Filthy disgusting work, but I am in!

Ya gotta love it. A bike ride AND good vittles!
On my way from Ontario to Colorado 2 years ago I was riding along whatever interstate highway it is that goes west from St. Louis when I saw a handmade sign in the median.
It said: "Camp out in the Ozarks, NOT THE LEFT LANE!"
If only the cagers would heed those words of wisdom.
I used to ride to Buffalo just for wings. Speaking of which...

Second fav:

Heading west out of Defiance, taking 94 along the north shore of the Missouri River, through rolling hills covered with Oak forests, vineyards, and sweeping views of the river basin. Plenty of opportunities along the way for gravel challenges and Butleresque alphabet roads. The intermediate target is to get to 19, to cross the Big Muddy into Hermann. From there the goal is to work one's way east to New Haven. Famous for being the final home of one John Colter, a member of the Lewis and Clark expedition, it is also home to Pinkney Distillery and their award winning spirits. Their whiskey is my goal, allowing myself this luxury once a year. I love supporting local businesses!
This route offers two primary ways back to Defiance: either cross over the river in Washington or go further east to cross over in Chesterfield Valley. The trip can be done in under 200 miles, and the evening celebration oh so sweet.

Filthy disgusting work, but I am in!

Back