• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does “race sag” matter?

adkgsa

After I purchased my 2012 R1200GSA I took the time and measured the amount if sag with me sitting on the bike with gear and all three aluminum cases on (relatively empty cases). With the ESA setting on one helmet plus luggage it is set almost perfect with around 66mm of rear sag.

But does any of this really matter? or when i am riding alone with just the side cases on should I put the ESA to one helmet (rider only) and go?

The dealership said I should just set it to one helmet and go, but my OCD tells me not all riders are the same weight and would sag a bike to different degrees.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.

You've determined that 1+luggage is theoretically correct for your weight with the stock spring. If you cannot detect an improvement of some sort at another setting, there is no reason to make a change.

You've determined that 1+luggage is theoretically correct for your weight with the stock spring. If you cannot detect an improvement of some sort at another setting, there is no reason to make a change.

Thanks Larry. kinda what i was thinking. I am overthinking this more like.

I agree that it will depend on the rider's weight. I weigh 180, my wife a portly 105 pounds. I see single riders that weigh almost this much, or a rider at 250 and a 175 wife on back.

On my R1200RT with my wife riding I set the ESA for one rider and luggage and either the soft or normal damping settings. Two people and luggage seemed too firm for us, although when I pull my Unigo trailer with both of us I will set it for two up and luggage and normal or the middle damping setting.

IMO, set it where you like it. If the suspension rarely or never bottoms you should be good. Some riders will like the firmer settings all the time.

My edc gear in the side bags weighs 30#'s, the racks and bags weigh 33#'s. I weight 185#'s. I ride the GS in 1 up + luggage all the time. Passenger gets aboard, 2 up +luggage. Trip to Ak. last summer loaded with 95#'s of gear, 2 up setting was used.

I run in normal mode, hitting the twisties I move to sport mode. Rarely ever use comfort mode even on the highways and never two up.

A strut (shock) with a threaded adjuster provides infinite variability within the thread range. The jigh tech setup provides maybe 5 or 6 discrete settings. So find the one that weems to work best and ignore whether it is for two slim folks or one heavyweight doing commuting or track use.

Back