• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to wheelie S1000XR

kacalka

Hi

I'd greatly appreciate a recipe how to wheelie S1000XR. Advice I've found on the web says to do it on 2nd gear, turn off ASC, speed around 3035mph, and tho the "clutch thing" while reeving up to 5000-7000 rpm. And I can't get the front wheel up this way. Actually, no matter how I rev it up, I can't get the front wheel on the 2nd gear more than 1 ft above the ground, and just for a short while. I also saw a video of a guy just rolling on a throttle in the dynamic pro mode and getting the front wheel up. My bike is not doing this.
I have 2016 S1000XR, with a chip, dynamic pro is unlocked. Is it possible that high elevation (around 1800m above sea level) is degrading power to a degree that the bike won't wheelie?
My bike will wheelie on the 1st gear though.

The second thing, every time I go the try wheelies, my chain gets more slack and I have to tens it ... is it normal?

Sorry of those are basic questions. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Check the similar threads at the bottom of the page. This question should bring out some great advice.:burnout

Hi

I'd greatly appreciate a recipe how to wheelie S1000XR. Advice I've found on the web says to do it on 2nd gear, turn off ASC, speed around 3035mph, and tho the "clutch thing" while reeving up to 5000-7000 rpm. And I can't get the front wheel up this way. Actually, no matter how I rev it up, I can't get the front wheel on the 2nd gear more than 1 ft above the ground, and just for a short while. I also saw a video of a guy just rolling on a throttle in the dynamic pro mode and getting the front wheel up. My bike is not doing this.
I have 2016 S1000XR, with a chip, dynamic pro is unlocked. Is it possible that high elevation (around 1800m above sea level) is degrading power to a degree that the bike won't wheelie?
My bike will wheelie on the 1st gear though.

The second thing, every time I go the try wheelies, my chain gets more slack and I have to tens it ... is it normal?

Sorry of those are basic questions. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

I find 3035MPH a tad too fast- 2500 MPH works best for me

I doubt the engine has enough torque to lift the front wheel in second at 30-35 MPH. I know my Yamaha R1 wont do it. On the other hand at 60 MPH it will loft the front wheel if I hammer the throttle.

What RPM are you running at that speed. It should tell the story why not. Max torque is around 9,000 RPM. I would think you will need to be 5,000+ RPM to get enough power to do it. Also many riders change out sprockets, adding one or two teeth to the rear and dropping one in the front. It will make and amazing difference on wheelies. I am running +2 teeth on the rear sprocket. I ran -1 on the front along with the +2 on the rear for a while but it was just stupid wheelie prone.

How to Do Wheelies

My view is that it is not a lack of power but an issue of technique (unless of course you have the traction control engaged which will work to keep front and rear wheel speed the same and prevent a wheelie). I used to pop wheelies on my 1975 Honda CB360T as a teenager and I don't think that had anywhere near the power of an S1000XR -- even in Rain mode!

Kent

Kent, your CB360 probably had more torque low down than the S1000XR does! These modern 4 bangers are pretty wimpy until you wind them up.

I missed that he said he was clutching it to get it to wheelie. If you slip the clutch and get the engine wound up it should wheelie. He might not have all the proper settings off.

I was out with my R1200RT the other evening. I run it up to red line in first, full throttle, the hammered it into second and smacked the throttle wide open. The front wheel lifted, the rear tire slipped a bit and the traction control cut the throttle for a split second. Weird feeling when I was not expecting it! I was thinking I broke something!

Thank you all for responses. I have actually made some progress! I leaned more back, and that made the front wheel pop up. That did the trick.

But I'm still scratching my head, there is a guy on Youtube, his nick name is "cuban rider". He just rolls on the throttle in "dynamic pro" mode and his front wheel just goes up. I have exact same bike, and mine is definitely not doing this :( Maybe he swapped the sprocket like someone suggested earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuUDtLpEZG0

Learn the technique on a small dirt bike? Grow a bigger set of ba**s? Grow up and realize you were not meant to be the next Teach McNeill??? I've got more suggestions for you if needed. :dunno

Friedle

Friedle -

Maybe he needs onsite help, coaching! Are you up for going to Colorado?? :stick

But I'm still scratching my head, there is a guy on Youtube, his nick name is "cuban rider". He just rolls on the throttle in "dynamic pro" mode and his front wheel just goes up. I have exact same bike, and mine is definitely not doing this :( Maybe he swapped the sprocket like someone suggested earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuUDtLpEZG0

He is moving one heck of a lot faster than 30 MPH when he rolls on to wheelie. My best guess he is rolling 50-60 MPH. Right at the beginning of the video he lifts it in first then pops it in second while it is in the air. You can get a clear view of the tachometer during the vid. When he is pulling wheelies the tach needle is straight up, or farther, between 12 and 2 o'clock. It should give you some idea what RPM he is at.

Here is a pic of the dash. He is running 9,000 RPM or more, right in the power band.

At 9,000 RPM he is doing 60 MPH in 1st, 74 MPH in 2nd.

s100xr.jpg

Friedle -

Maybe he needs onsite help, coaching! Are you up for going to Colorado?? :stick

No thanks! I've got enough fools who need my help here without having to travel looking for them. BTW, a number of years ago, somebody opened a "Wheelie School" here in the Hudson Valley at an underused airport runway. It was only open for a short time until the insurance man shut it down after a couple of students DIED at Wheelie School. They attained "rotation speed' on the runway, but never quite reached "lift off velocity". :wave

Friedle

Why there are mean people on every internet forum?

Freddie,

I don't appreciate calling me fool in a public discussion. I hope you realize that this is just rude. Also, I didn't ask for life coaching. Please stay on topic, and if you have nothing to say, just don't say anything.

Please don't respond to this post.

Freddie,

I don't appreciate calling me fool in a public discussion. I hope you realize that this is just rude. Also, I didn't ask for life coaching. Please stay on topic, and if you have nothing to say, just don't say anything.

Please don't respond to this post.

I didn't call you a fool. I said I have enough fools here to keep me busy. I don't do life coaching. I have been doing rider coaching, at all levels, for 22 years. I do have something to say, and I said it. You of course are free to do whatever you like with your bike and life, as long as it doesn't encroach on my safety and well being, or that of anybody else. Hope that clears it up for you.

Friedle

Back