• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

piaa lights

brianfisk

I have a set of PIAA lights on my RT. I need bulbs or them, been on the web searching for 2 hours. I cannot find the kit or bulbs. The bulb appears to a sealed unit it is 2 inchs in dia. has circle with H in it a 9 fowling it and 12 v 55 w and then 9 dots. the plug is just 2 pins with a rubber bumper on one side.

Any help, this was on the bike when I bought.

Piaa bulbs

Hi,
Go to PIAA.com and click on "What lights do I have" on the RH side of the top bar. If your lights are mounted under the front fairing or on the front forks/calipers, they are likely 1100x lamps and you can find the bulbs by following the links. They are available on their site and possibly elsewhere once you have the bulb number.

I have the same set of lights on my RT. Mine don’t need replacement at the moment thankfully, but I’m awfully glad this subject came up because they’re reaching the end of their lifespan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of PIAA lights on my RT. I need bulbs or them, been on the web searching for 2 hours. I cannot find the kit or bulbs. The bulb appears to a sealed unit it is 2 inchs in dia. has circle with H in it a 9 fowling it and 12 v 55 w and then 9 dots. the plug is just 2 pins with a rubber bumper on one side.

Any help, this was on the bike when I bought.

Brian, I posted a similar thread last week under "Gear" (https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?95407-Any-PIAA-1100-Replacement-Bulbs). I believe that at the 2016 Hamburg Rally, a PIAA salesman told me the 1100 lights were no longer being supplied.

The suggestions for replacements have not been suitable for the PIAA 1100 housing. You may wish to check this thread and possibly I have missed how the suggested bulbs would work in our light housings.

If and when, either of us finds a suitable replacement for our PIAA bulbs, let's pm each other and share that information, as well as putting it on the Forum for others.

At this time, I am still looking. I have some knock off PIAA lights on my K that came with LED bulbs, but they are no where near as bright as the PIAAs. I want something as bright as the original PIAAs.

Had the same issue a year back. My 1100x (Yellow) n/a anywhere. I called the nice folks at PIAA and was informed about a loyalty discount for new luminaires. I bought the new yellow leds, didn't have to buy the wiring harness and rewire as the new ones work on the old setup. hope this helps. the new items are impressive imho.

The 1100 series lights use MR16 GU5.3 bulbs, which you can find from most hardware retailers. There are LED versions as well that are widely available online.

got bulbs?

Thanks to all that had a comment. I called PIAA 2x got answer but not quite helpful enough. The info from here got e over the top. It is as if all MR16 GU5.3 bulbs fit the housing, butt you need to make sure they are 12 volt and the wattage that you want. I went with 50's. I bought 3 bulbs from 1000sbulbs.com DICHROIC Halogen. 0.92 each $11.25 shipping. yeah!
I went to Home depot, bought 2 different Philips bulbs MR16 ( I think that is the size of the bulb, about 2" around) the base is GU5.3 ( that i base by the way 2 pins watch that you get the kind with fat end) .
I have not used them at night yet, but I will and give a report. I hope I added photos of the bulbs. Thr one thing I have to say is none of the bulbs have the crown of the lens like the PIAA bulbs do.

Back