Thread: piaa lights

piaa lights

I have a set of PIAA lights on my RT. I need bulbs or them, been on the web searching for 2 hours. I cannot find the kit or bulbs. The bulb appears to a sealed unit it is 2 inchs in dia. has circle with H in it a 9 fowling it and 12 v 55 w and then 9 dots. the plug is just 2 pins with a rubber bumper on one side.

Any help, this was on the bike when I bought.

Piaa bulbs

Hi,
    Go to PIAA.com and click on "What lights do I have" on the RH side of the top bar. If your lights are mounted under the front fairing or on the front forks/calipers, they are likely 1100x lamps and you can find the bulbs by following the links. They are available on their site and possibly elsewhere once you have the bulb number.
    The more I learn about women, the more I love motorcycles!

bulb

I tried that. Cannot get the right number. when I use it a page comes up but it is just not right

Piaa bulbs

Try this link. I found my installation guide which has an exploded diagram of the lamp and this looks like the bulb. It's apparently a combined bulb/lens unit. Not cheap so make sure all your connections are good before you buy. There are a couple SAE connectors under the front fairing that connect the lamps to the PIAA wiring harness.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/518-1100...b-55w-85w.aspx
    The more I learn about women, the more I love motorcycles!

I have the same set of lights on my RT. Mine donít need replacement at the moment thankfully, but Iím awfully glad this subject came up because theyíre reaching the end of their lifespan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfisk View Post
    I have a set of PIAA lights on my RT. I need bulbs or them, been on the web searching for 2 hours. I cannot find the kit or bulbs. The bulb appears to a sealed unit it is 2 inchs in dia. has circle with H in it a 9 fowling it and 12 v 55 w and then 9 dots. the plug is just 2 pins with a rubber bumper on one side.

Any help, this was on the bike when I bought.
    Brian, I posted a similar thread last week under "Gear" (https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...lacement-Bulbs). I believe that at the 2016 Hamburg Rally, a PIAA salesman told me the 1100 lights were no longer being supplied.

The suggestions for replacements have not been suitable for the PIAA 1100 housing. You may wish to check this thread and possibly I have missed how the suggested bulbs would work in our light housings.

If and when, either of us finds a suitable replacement for our PIAA bulbs, let's pm each other and share that information, as well as putting it on the Forum for others.

At this time, I am still looking. I have some knock off PIAA lights on my K that came with LED bulbs, but they are no where near as bright as the PIAAs. I want something as bright as the original PIAAs.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Had the same issue a year back. My 1100x (Yellow) n/a anywhere. I called the nice folks at PIAA and was informed about a loyalty discount for new luminaires. I bought the new yellow leds, didn't have to buy the wiring harness and rewire as the new ones work on the old setup. hope this helps. the new items are impressive imho.

The 1100 series lights use MR16 GU5.3 bulbs, which you can find from most hardware retailers. There are LED versions as well that are widely available online.

got bulbs?

Thanks to all that had a comment. I called PIAA 2x got answer but not quite helpful enough. The info from here got e over the top. It is as if all MR16 GU5.3 bulbs fit the housing, butt you need to make sure they are 12 volt and the wattage that you want. I went with 50's. I bought 3 bulbs from 1000sbulbs.com DICHROIC Halogen. 0.92 each $11.25 shipping. yeah!
    I went to Home depot, bought 2 different Philips bulbs MR16 ( I think that is the size of the bulb, about 2" around) the base is GU5.3 ( that i base by the way 2 pins watch that you get the kind with fat end) .
    I have not used them at night yet, but I will and give a report. I hope I added photos of the bulbs. Thr one thing I have to say is none of the bulbs have the crown of the lens like the PIAA bulbs do.