• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 K1200RS w/ 20k miles, O2 sensor replacement and shift linkage service

kenlmans

I need to replace the O2 sensor and I have read that I might as well service the shift linkage with new grease, since it has to be removed for this procedure. What grease is indicated for this application? Also, I understand the rubber washers may need to be replaced. Do you have a good source or a simple DIY replacement? Any performance improvements over factory?

I need to replace the O2 sensor and I have read that I might as well service the shift linkage with new grease, since it has to be removed for this procedure. What grease is indicated for this application? Also, I understand the rubber washers may need to be replaced. Do you have a good source or a simple DIY replacement? Any performance improvements over factory?

Any high quality chassis or wheel bearing grease will do. Some people like marine wheel bearing grease due to its water resistance, but that’s not really a big factor for properly serviced heim joints. You will need to replace the “rubber” donuts—they are more like dense foam than rubber—and I have found no source other than BMW for those. They are not super expensive from BMW and you do want the correct donuts, which come impregnated with grease, as one of their functions is to keep water and dirt out of the heim joint; the fit and composition is important.

Make sure you understand disassembly on the heim joints, which have a retaining clip that must be rotated to “unclip” them from the heim joint body before they can be pulled from their holes.

Best,
DG

Back